Multiple IEM Shootout v.3
Oct 14, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #17 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just noticed you have the RE-0 and UM2 as a 4.6 SQ

erm are you sure? your really rating the the um2 as highly as the RE-0?

Yes, I am. Some people might find UM2 dull and uninspiring, but I find UM2 conservative smooth warm sound to be its strength. For the purpose of being an on-stage monitor as Westone intends it to be, UM2 sound signature is one of very few that I find to be suitable for fatigue-free, relaxing long hours usage. That is where the quality of its sound truly shines.

Though I do like my RE0, there is time I wish to just lay back, ignore all the fine detail and submerge into the music - that's where I'll reach for UM2.

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #18 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Impressive review dude. I hope you extend the comparo to other popular IEM's like the Klipsch Image S4's.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm also interested in how the S4's stack up (as you would probably be able to tell from my other posts, haha). But now you've got me wondering about this 'mystery' set of IEMs too...

Now I'm definitely waiting for your comparison to be done until I buy anything, lol.

Oct 14, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #19 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I am. Some people might find UM2 dull and uninspiring, but I find UM2 conservative smooth warm sound to be its strength. For the purpose of being an on-stage monitor as Westone intends it to be, UM2 sound signature is one of very few that I find to be suitable for fatigue-free, relaxing long hours usage. That is where the quality of its sound truly shines.

Though I do like my RE0, there is time I wish to just lay back, ignore all the fine detail and submerge into the music - that's where I'll reach for UM2.

i can see your reasoning but i still wouldnt give them such a high mark, not entirely sure if id mark the um3x that high

Oct 14, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #20 of 297
Very nice. I do like the quick SQ/Value run down. Along with a supporting full description elsewhere, it does make glancing through the array of earphones a breeze.

It's interesting to note that by the time headphones get to a certain level of quality performance, they're all about the same and is a little less dependent upon price. Think the TF10 versus RE0 for example. They're at very different price points, but both holistically function very well. Choice stops becoming a matter of function and transitions to a matter of taste. A review should focus mainly on the functional aspects, i.e. does it operate in a competent manner across the entire frequency spectrum. Taste can heavily get in the way of liking or disliking a product and giving a skewed review. One needs to be able to set aside taste, their own preference, and review the product without bias. I've come to see a lot of earphones as functionally good once personal preference is ignored.

Oct 14, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #21 of 297
any initial impressions on the MEElec M6 and R1? comparisons between the two? my IEMs gave out and i need to purchase some new ones, but i'm having a hard time deciding between the M6 and the R1.

also, from what I've heard so far, the M11 isn't as good, so i'm not really considering it. from initial impressions, do you agree?

i know you are in the process of reviewing them, but i need some earphones ASAP so i don't know if i can wait for the complete review to come out.

Oct 14, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #22 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by eiraku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PR1 Pro? What, where? It's new?

Argh, new stuff to watch for... Oh my thinning wallets... :cry some more:

PR1 Pro was released last month IIRC. My review sample was shipped last week, no clue of ETA.

@ClieOS:

Very interested in the Fischer IEMs. Going to have to look up how to obtain one in the motherland as I might be there this Christmas. Might have to grab one of each ><.

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #24 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, no. Not from MEEletronics (yet to burn them in), but from Fischer Audio - which is kind of hard to find outside of Russia and Scandinavia. I am hoping to persuade them to go international. Hopefully they will take my advise seriously as I really believe they have some really great stuffs there in the motherland. So, don't return the S4 just yet.

Amazing, can't wait for your review. Already have heard many good things about Fischer Audio, but no proper comparison to other phones have been done so far. Since I have direct access to Russia, those are mighty interesting to me.

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #25 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interested in the Fischer IEMs. Going to have to look up how to obtain one in the motherland as I might be there this Christmas. Might have to grab one of each ><.

I hope you've got a fat wallet, because they've got a plethora of different models.
eek.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #26 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you've got a fat wallet, because they've got a plethora of different models.
eek.gif

Lol good point. I meant their non-knockoff IEMs. Lots of familiar designs there... Still, maybe I overreached a bit.

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #28 of 297
hope there will be another sonic diamond, in this shootout..

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #29 of 297
Clie,
which particular model from fischer audio gives the goosebumps? I know we have a brief discussion on this in the v2 thread and some of them certainly look the business..the sigma's look rather good, infact the whole signature line looks pretty awsome

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #30 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can see your reasoning but i still wouldnt give them such a high mark, not entirely sure if id mark the um3x that high

...and you can imagine why I do not find W3 as an upgrade at all and UM3X being only marginally better than UM2. Don't forget UM2 has been alongside with TF10 and SE530 as Westone top universal for a few years before W3 release.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I've come to see a lot of earphones as functionally good once personal preference is ignored.

Indeed, but it is always a battle b/w the two and matching preference is sometime for difficult for the users, unless one can audition many of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, from what I've heard so far, the M11 isn't as good, so i'm not really considering it. from initial impressions, do you agree?

M6 is pretty good, but I find M11 to be better (at least for now). Haven't really spent any time with R1 yet as I want to burn it in throughly for the bass to settle down. Right now I think it is a bit too boomy than I like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Still, maybe I overreached a bit.

Don't worry too much. Their listing price are so cheap that they can very well give you an heart attack. The main problem is where to find a dealer willing to ship them internationally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, got a list of these 13 IEMs? I'm curious what you have sitting around that will be added to the mass of IEMs from v1 and v2.

All 13 pairs have been listed in my profile. I am kind of lazy right now (just come back home for an > 8hrs trip), so please check them out yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tetsu85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hope there will be another sonic diamond, in this shootout..

Hey, how did you find out??? ....
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clie,
... infact the whole signature line looks pretty awsome

In fact they are. I don't want to spoil the surprise just yet as I am going to do my best to finish up the first section of the review in the next couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back