Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 18, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #11,791 of 16,931
Congratulations on the awesome landmark 300th review :beerchug:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 18, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #11,792 of 16,931
Well done on 300 reviews! (Whoa) 
beerchug.gif

Oct 18, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #11,793 of 16,931
Congrats Joker! 300 reviews! That is amazing!
beerchug.gif
 Good on you mate.

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #11,796 of 16,931
And now you should take a hiatus. Get some well deserved rest. As probably the most knowledgable man on the planet when it comes to iems, you deserve a break to get your energy back up after doing all of these incredible reviews. I've gotten so much help from your reviews.

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #11,797 of 16,931
  And now you should take a hiatus. Get some well deserved rest. As probably the most knowledgable man on the planet when it comes to iems, you deserve a break to get your energy back up after doing all of these incredible reviews. I've gotten so much help from your reviews.

Are you kidding !!?? Get back to work !

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #11,798 of 16,931

Having heard the demo, it makes sense that you'd find it to at the top of your heap. Personally, I found that it forced me to listen to the music, and I couldn't tune out. It was a bit disconcerting in that sense, similar to how I found the 1Plus2. However, I am very, very impressed by its technical ability --- I'm not thrilled by the 6k spike and I'd like the bass shelf about 2.5 dB lower, but I can definitely understand why so many are so enamored with this monitor.

I don't hear that 6k spike but they do smooth out over time and hard use so perhaps it's just receded on mine. I hit them pretty hard for a couple hundred hours after initial break in while running in a Moon cable I was trying. I do hear a bit of needed presence that sounds appropriate to me but not a spike sort of resonance. Depth of insertion could change where standing wave reinforcement may occur as would ear shape to certain degree. Perhaps what you're hearing is universal related or we just hear it differently though the stock cable does have some of that etched, character. They're absolutely lush with an after market copper cable and really do take on about any sig with cable changes. Of course the slightly elevated low bass is always there but really, if you tend to use them on the go as I do, it's welcome.

I don't find the midbass elevated as Joker does but do agree that the low bass is elevated. I'm a neutral kinda guy but think Joker prefers things a bit leaner than I do though we certainly agree on these overall. He's probably surprised he likes something with this much weight as much as he does.
ksc75smile.gif

Congrats on 300, Joker.

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #11,799 of 16,931
Nice review on the JH13 joker. I hear it very similar in the midrange and bass. I do hear a bit more treble energy and quantity compared to the ER-4s, which sounds a little smoother next to the crisper JH13.

I find the JH13 very forward overall and the soundstage is very enveloping, which gives a pretty big wow factor when combined with the clarity.

Regarding imaging- the JH13 is the best I've heard in this regard, besting even the 1+2.

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #11,801 of 16,931
  Cool writeup on the JH13, thanks again |joker| :) and congrats on 300 reviews. 

I'd be interested to see the JH13 compared to the UERM, if you ever get the chance, as they are the only two custom's I've ever seriously considered buying...

From your history, I'm going to take a stab and say that you'll prefer the JH13 over the UERM. You'll most likely be more used to the sound. I'm sure the JH13FP sound is what a lot of people "want" in an IEM. JM2C... not that the UERM is "worse" by any means, it's just a flatter flavor that won't be as enveloping and engrossing as the JH13FP. With the UERM, you're led to hear the artifacts of music and an honest lay of the land. The JH13 is for pinpoint accuracy of a bauble of music swirling around your head --- you won't stop listening to the music --- you can't. It won't let you.

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #11,804 of 16,931
I'm interested in Joker's take on 'burn in' especially regarding balanced armature drivers.  Personally I've yet to experience any sonic changes over time.  I understand how it might be possible for a dynamic driver (though again if there are changes for me they've been negligible at best) but I thought BAs were immune to this phenomenon.

My JH13s are getting a lot of use and I don't think the sound has 'smoothed out'.  It was great from the start and remains equally great now.

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #11,805 of 16,931
Congratulations on 300!  I will be devoting a good amount of time to reading through many of your reviews.  Although I have made up my mind that the next pair of headphones I buy will be CIEMs (aside from possibly getting another pair of cans, just don't tell my wallet), I think reading up on some universals in the same price range or lower might lead to a more informed decision.  Your time and efforts are monumental and extremely helpful to the rest of us.  Thank you for what you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back