Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #10,816 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker, what would be all-around upgrade from Meelec A151? A bit more bass and better soundstage would be good, but i don't really want to give anything in exchange. Several suggestions would be nice, no particular budget in mind.

Well, the A161P is one – it’s a more aggressive sound but it also has better imaging and more bass. The deep bass is especially more prominent compared to the A151.

Another one in a similar price range is the HiFiMan RE-400. It doesn't have a whole lot more bass depth than the A151 but it has slightly more mid-bass impact, along with very smooth mids and treble and a well-rounded presentation.

Along those same lines, the Philips Fidelio S1/S2 have more deep bass than the RE-400 but also are a little more energetic in the treble region. They have wider soundstages but lack the layering of the RE-400 and VSonic GR07.  

The VSonic GR07 has more bass and a wider soundstage and doesn’t really give anything up except for the treble smoothness of the A151 (although the A151 doesn't have quite enough treble energy in my opinion). 

The UE900, if you really want to spend a lot, has smoother treble than the GR07 and fits all of your other requirements.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #10,817 of 16,931
Quote:
I have really narrow ear canals too. The smallest tips I've found so far are the Jays silicones.  They come in xx-small, but can be hard to find.

If you are in the US or Canada, the only place I know that you can buy them is here: http://stereotypeaudio.com/our-brands/jays/jays-silicon-sleeve-xxs-black.html
http://stereotypeaudio.com/our-brands/jays/jays-silicon-sleeve-xxs-white.html

Maybe you can find them on eBay.  I know that someone posted other places you can get them if you're in Europe, but I don't remember where.

Reading reviews, several people have had luck with them using them on various Vsonic earphones, so I'm sure they will fit the GR02 nozzle. I've read that because the opening is very slightly wider than the Vsonics, they tend to slightly increase the treble emphasis in comparison.

I haven't actually ordered them yet, because the smallest Vsonic tips fit my ears, but just barely.  Although, I just bought another earphone, TDK BA200, and I'm considering buying them for that, as none of the stock tips are small enough.

Based on the measurements posted at the website above, the xxs Jays silicones appear to be just a bit smaller than the smallest Vsonics (8.8 mm versus 9-9.5 mm for the Vsonics). Here's a link to a review with pics of the different sizes of Jays silicone eartips. http://anythingbutipod.com/2007/10/jays-q-jays-review/

Try vc02's smallest tips, they're the smallest tip I've seen in an iem 
http://cdn.head-fi.org/c/cd/350x700px-LL-cd52ea7c_IMG_20121122_093353.jpeg

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #10,818 of 16,931
Hey guys, I have a question and I know this really isn't the place to ask but I haven't been getting much help posting in the "Help and Introduction" section.

Anyways, I am looking to get a new pair of IEMs and I'm about to get the Westone 4Rs, I don't want to spend more than 400. Is there any other IEMs that I should be considering at that price range? I like neutral sound and some color but nothing with unnatural bass. Again I know this wasn't the place to ask but I appreciate your guys patience.

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #10,819 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey guys, I have a question and I know this really isn't the place to ask but I haven't been getting much help posting in the "Help and Introduction" section.

Anyways, I am looking to get a new pair of IEMs and I'm about to get the Westone 4Rs, I don't want to spend more than 400. Is there any other IEMs that I should be considering at that price range? I like neutral sound and some color but nothing with unnatural bass. Again I know this wasn't the place to ask but I appreciate your guys patience.

It's one of the places to ask... 
wink.gif

There are lots of other high-end IEMs you can snag for under $400. The Westones happen to be versatile and fit your requirements of not being completely neutral but also not having heavily enhanced bass. I don't see anything wrong with them as your pick. As for alternatives, I would say the UE900, VSonic GR07 / GR07 Bass Edition, and maybe the Sony MDR-7550 also fit your requirements, all with slightly different sound signatures and form factors. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #10,820 of 16,931
Quote:
It's one of the places to ask... 
wink.gif

There are lots of other high-end IEMs you can snag for under $400. The Westones happen to be versatile and fit your requirements of not being completely neutral but also not having heavily enhanced bass. I don't see anything wrong with them as your pick. As for alternatives, I would say the UE900, VSonic GR07 / GR07 Bass Edition, and maybe the Sony MDR-7550 also fit your requirements, all with slightly different sound signatures and form factors. 

Thanks for the suggestions, those were pretty much the others I had in my head. I really want to try the Westone 4Rs tho and maybe get some custom tips down the road as I have a limited budget. Otherwise I would just get some customs

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #10,823 of 16,931
By price or by SQ?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 3, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #10,827 of 16,931
Quote:
Well, the A161P is one – it’s a more aggressive sound but it also has better imaging and more bass. The deep bass is especially more prominent compared to the A151.

Another one in a similar price range is the HiFiMan RE-400. It doesn't have a whole lot more bass depth than the A151 but it has slightly more mid-bass impact, along with very smooth mids and treble and a well-rounded presentation.

Along those same lines, the Philips Fidelio S1/S2 have more deep bass than the RE-400 but also are a little more energetic in the treble region. They have wider soundstages but lack the layering of the RE-400 and VSonic GR07.  

The VSonic GR07 has more bass and a wider soundstage and doesn’t really give anything up except for the treble smoothness of the A151 (although the A151 doesn't have quite enough treble energy in my opinion). 

The UE900, if you really want to spend a lot, has smoother treble than the GR07 and fits all of your other requirements.

Thanks Joker. With those recommendations in mind, do you think i might get comfort issues with some of them? I guess i've a small ears, because A151 is pretty small IEM and it still gets uncomfortable after some time wearing it over the ear - it pushes on my antihelix and start hurting there. Maybe it's just A151 shape, but i still only use them with small to medium tips since my ear canals are quite narrow.

Jul 3, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #10,828 of 16,931
Hi Joker, great thread. My TF10 cables were sent back for RMA as such I'm looking for a replacement/alternative.

I mostly listen to songs with heavy vocals(think Snake Eater - Cynthia Harrell, ) along with some DnB and Rock. So I prefer vibrant mids/highs, with good bass response. I'm currently considering the GR07 BE and Fidelio S2. Which of them, in your mind, would match my choice in music better? Or are there better matches?

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #10,829 of 16,931
thanks for the thread IjokerI,

I guess you could say I'm a basshead and I'm looking for some good budget IEM's.
I'm leaning towards the Vsonic GR02 Be, Audio-Technica ATH-CKS55 or the MH1C's
the audio-technica seems the best on paper, but I can't really find any proper reviews. 
who will help me out guys?

[size=1.4em]  [/size]

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #10,830 of 16,931
thanks for the thread IjokerI,

I guess you could say I'm a basshead and I'm looking for some good budget IEM's.
I'm leaning towards the Vsonic GR02 Be, Audio-Technica ATH-CKS55 or the MH1C's
the audio-technica seems the best on paper, but I can't really find any proper reviews. 
who will help me out guys?

[size=1.4em] [/size]

How about Zero Audio Carbo Basso?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back