Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 29, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #10,787 of 16,931
Quote:
Did I recieve a super defected MH1C or is the cable supposed to be so wierd?
Although in terms of sound, these might be my new favorite. Might have to sell my Turbines now.

If you mean the uneven cable lengths, it's a j-cord setup. They are popular in Asia, not so much in the US.

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #10,788 of 16,931
Quote:

Probably not - I thought the W4 had a fairly inoffensive sound signature. The V3 has more in-your-face bass and no less treble energy. I didn't realize there was a universal V3 available. Wonder how that compares to a customized unit...

Hi

Thanks for that, little surprised.  I seem to be always coming back to westone and thought I'd look around for something different but all paths lead back to them it seems.  Customs have been nothing but a pita for me which is why I was looking at the universal of the 1964 ears.  I was on the fence though as I would more than likely be whacked for import duties which I obviously don't like.  So for long term listening (2hours then break etc) a westone 4 is still a good place to look at then for even for rock and metal?  Maybe I should stop fighting the inevitable and just order a pair already!  Levanter over on the 1964 ears thread has got the 1964 ears v6 universal incoming so might be worth keeping an eye out for any impressions of those if your interested.  I should clarify that the westone 3's went through the wash which is why I'm looking for a new universal.

Cheers

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #10,790 of 16,931
Quote:
The AM-800 is not cold/neutral. It's got plenty of bass. it won't be as smooth up top as an M2/ProAlpha, though.

I actually like the AM800 myself - I even included it in my shortened buyer's guide, which only holds the earphones I personally liked best for every sound signature and price range. At $65 I maintain that it's a very good value. It just has a bit of mid-bass bloat and not entirely smooth treble. Compared to the Sony MH1C, for example, the subbass doesn't come through as well because of the mid-bass and the treble is not as extended or refined. 

Thanks. I guess that's all I can get from your description, now it's time to experience it.
BTW, how do you find the following RE-400 measures:
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/03/hifiman-re-400-evolution-or-devolution.html
http://en.goldenears.net/19626
?
Do they reflect what you hear?
I also liked the Brainwavz M1 and I'm wondering if the RE-400 could be regarded as its upgrade (in terms of a similar sound signature, balance, soundstage)?

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #10,794 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi

Thanks for that, little surprised.  I seem to be always coming back to westone and thought I'd look around for something different but all paths lead back to them it seems.  Customs have been nothing but a pita for me which is why I was looking at the universal of the 1964 ears.  I was on the fence though as I would more than likely be whacked for import duties which I obviously don't like.  So for long term listening (2hours then break etc) a westone 4 is still a good place to look at then for even for rock and metal?  Maybe I should stop fighting the inevitable and just order a pair already!  Levanter over on the 1964 ears thread has got the 1964 ears v6 universal incoming so might be worth keeping an eye out for any impressions of those if your interested.  I should clarify that the westone 3's went through the wash which is why I'm looking for a new universal.

Cheers

Well, if all roads lead to the W4...

It might be worth trying first, if that's an option. The W4 is not too like the W3, but I would say it's less fatiguing, if anything.

Quote:

Thanks. I guess that's all I can get from your description, now it's time to experience it.
BTW, how do you find the following RE-400 measures:
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/03/hifiman-re-400-evolution-or-devolution.html
http://en.goldenears.net/19626
?
Do they reflect what you hear?
I also liked the Brainwavz M1 and I'm wondering if the RE-400 could be regarded as its upgrade (in terms of a similar sound signature, balance, soundstage)?

The measurements make sense. I'm more used to InnerFidelity's compensation but I think Rin's reflects what I actually hear a little better. IF measurements of the RE-400 and RE-600 should be up pretty soon.

The M1 rolls off its bass and treble so it's more mid-centric overall, which the RE-400 isn't. Other than that, the RE-400 is a good upgrade.

Quote:
Hi!

Would anyone be able to compare the Vsonic GR02 pro (silver cable) vs Maximo IM 590?  I'm looking to spend about 40 bucks and I have narrowed it down to these 2.

Thanks in advance!

It's been a while since I've heard the im-590 but I would say go for the Maximos if you want brighter/more accurate and the VSonics if you want something a little warmer and smoother. There are newer options in that price range though - both of those earphones are several years old.

Quote:
Triple.Fi 10, when is the review coming XD

rolleyes.gif

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #10,795 of 16,931
Quote:

Well, if all roads lead to the W4...

It might be worth trying first, if that's an option. The W4 is not too like the W3, but I would say it's less fatiguing, if anything.

Well quite, thing is though whilst I have a disposable fund it's not unlimited sadly and I don't really do the buying and selling thing.  Trying to get the custom situation sorted first but if I ever call it quits on that I guess it'll have to be the westones again :)

Cheers

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #10,796 of 16,931
The measurements make sense. I'm more used to InnerFidelity's compensation but I think Rin's reflects what I actually hear a little better. IF measurements of the RE-400 and RE-600 should be up pretty soon.

I never really thought the FR graphs aligned too closely with how I heard things. Recently, I sent Rin my Heaven V and at the bottom of his analysis he posted the FR graph to the new Olive-Welti target and it was literally one of those "Aha!" moments. It was practically dead on.

Do you know if Tyll plans to look into that sort of compensation?

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #10,799 of 16,931
Tyll is going to implement the curve but it will take him a while

Here is the RE400 with that compensation

Nice. Thanks for posting the graph!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back