Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 8, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #10,231 of 16,931
Hi!

Im not joker but.... Sennheiser IE80 sounds like something you might like....

Thanks a lot for the pointer nicholars! Also being Senheisser a more widely available brand I may locate somewhere to try them!

consider the fidelio S2 (or S1) but I can vouch for the S2 hitting above it's price point. there is zero treble harshness, great bass and excellent clarity and speed.

The heir 4.ai has almost all that you want and is more refined than the S2 with more audible texture and fine details but lacks the bass impact you may want. in my experience, that is usually found in dynamic IEMs.

Thanks LCfiner! Maybe I could try them also, being Philips!

Quote:

1964EARS V3. Lots of bass, very "fun" sound, custom-fit, smoother treble than the GR07. Also super sensitive and works great with mobile devices. 

Didn't thought there were "affordable" CIEMs! Now I think I'm on track and made up my mind, I'm troublesome when it comes to universal fit, even with GR06/07 I have to be always repositioning and tinkering with the seal.
I made up my mind, I'm going for a CIEM.

I note you advised the V3 and not the Q (Quad) whereas they supposedly have more bass, I suspect you did that for a reason?

Also, Heir 3.A looks to be similar to the V3, looking for vs reviews but still reading. Anyone has listened to both?

Thanks a lot guys! the more models I know that may suit me, the more info for reference I have to process all the info and reviews!

May 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #10,233 of 16,931
Quote:
interesting. i didnt liked the Xcited. how exactly is the fxd80 and upgrade?

Well, if you didn't like the Xcited then it doesn't really matter, but I thought they both had the same type of cold-ish, mildly v-shaped sound with a wide (but not very deep) presentation.

Quote:

I note you advised the V3 and not the Q (Quad) whereas they supposedly have more bass, I suspect you did that for a reason?

Yeah, it's because I've never heard the Quad. 

Quote:
Joker . Have you ever heard of http://www.385audio.com/ . Their headphones loooks great and some looks like the other company's headphone for example : http://www.385audio.com/products/vigor looks like Philips Citiscape uptown and http://www.385audio.com/collections/earphones/products/vibe-trio looks like meelectronic SP51

Nope, never heard of them. The SP51 shares housings with other earphones, such as the Hippo VB. They sound different, though. 

May 9, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #10,234 of 16,931
Quote:
Yep, I think it's very easy-going and I've enjoyed it with everything I threw it at. Tyll (@Innerfidelity) thought the JH13 was vastly more genre-neutral than the Miracle, IIRC.

Now i am really interested in JH13Pro Freqphase, since you give a really high comment on it.  Like what you said, the Cons i found from Miracle so far is its unclear midrange, and separation isn't as good as i imagined. The bass is just right to me. Its treble is great as well.
How about JH13Pro's soundstage. Is that as deep and wide as that of Miracle? 

May 9, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #10,235 of 16,931
Quote:

Well, if you didn't like the Xcited then it doesn't really matter, but I thought they both had the same type of cold-ish, mildly v-shaped sound with a wide (but not very deep) presentation.

i found the Xcited very very recessed on vocals. even with hybrid tips. and way too laid back sound
clarity was great, but bass was  missing a lot. i prefered the RE0, and the Zero even more.
dont know, maybe i had a bad pair

May 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #10,236 of 16,931
Speaking of the ZERO's, I just realized mine had channel imbalance after a year and a half of usage (always assumed it was my ears). Can anyone suggest a $100-150 upgrade with:

RE-262 soundstage and mids
RE-ZERO clarity

Soundstage and clarity are my main interests. Lush mids are preferable but not a must, and bass (presence) isn't that important. I tried the XBA-3 and felt that it was inferior to the RE-ZERO due to unnatural treble and comparable soundstage (for a ~$300 MSRP IEM you'd figure it'd be better than the RE-ZERO 
rolleyes.gif
).

May 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #10,237 of 16,931
Heya joker,

How would you compare the mids of the UM3X and UE900? Does the UE900 manage to impress with the mids, with good body and emotion to vocals, or are they still more of a secondary element, as with the TF10? I like my UM3X, but want something with a bigger soundstage and slightly tighter bass, and perhaps slightly more prominent treble; do you think there's a chance the UE900 might do the trick?

May 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #10,238 of 16,931
Quote:
Now i am really interested in JH13Pro Freqphase, since you give a really high comment on it.  Like what you said, the Cons i found from Miracle so far is its unclear midrange, and separation isn't as good as i imagined. The bass is just right to me. Its treble is great as well.
How about JH13Pro's soundstage. Is that as deep and wide as that of Miracle? 

The Miracle is wider IMO but the JH13 has a nice balance of depth and width so it sounds very well-rounded. Imaging is great, too. 

Quote:
i found the Xcited very very recessed on vocals. even with hybrid tips. and way too laid back sound
clarity was great, but bass was  missing a lot. i prefered the RE0, and the Zero even more.
dont know, maybe i had a bad pair

Well, if you read my FXD80 review it kind of does the same thing with vocals. The Xcited is not as good as the HiFiMan sets, or even the original SW-Xcape, IMO. 

Quote:
Speaking of the ZERO's, I just realized mine had channel imbalance after a year and a half of usage (always assumed it was my ears). Can anyone suggest a $100-150 upgrade with:

RE-262 soundstage and mids
RE-ZERO clarity

Soundstage and clarity are my main interests. Lush mids are preferable but not a must, and bass (presence) isn't that important. I tried the XBA-3 and felt that it was inferior to the RE-ZERO due to unnatural treble and comparable soundstage (for a ~$300 MSRP IEM you'd figure it'd be better than the RE-ZERO 
rolleyes.gif
).

Channel imbalance can be caused by earwax build-up also, so maybe it wasn't always as bad as it is now. Anyway, not too many can match the ZERO in clarity at $150 or less. The Philips Fidelio S1/S2 would be an option - they do have a little more bass than HiFiMan sets but they also have good clarity and a slightly wider presentation than the ZERO. Or you could try to find a used RE262 or even RE272 if you liked the 262.

Quote:
Heya joker,

How would you compare the mids of the UM3X and UE900? Does the UE900 manage to impress with the mids, with good body and emotion to vocals, or are they still more of a secondary element, as with the TF10? I like my UM3X, but want something with a bigger soundstage and slightly tighter bass, and perhaps slightly more prominent treble; do you think there's a chance the UE900 might do the trick?

It's been a while since I've heard the UM3X so I would have to go off memory and I'd rather not provide a comparison per se. I can't quantify emotion but I felt that the UE900 mostly did vocals justice. The TF10 is more mid-recessed, which is probably what you weren't happy with. Yeah, the UE900 would have more treble energy than the UM3X and it has very tight bass and a nice soundstage (the UM3X was mostly in-the-head for me, though it had nice separation).

May 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #10,239 of 16,931
Quote:

Well, if you read my FXD80 review it kind of does the same thing with vocals. The Xcited is not as good as the HiFiMan sets, or even the original SW-Xcape, IMO. 

well, if found the Xcited really bad on vocals, so i didnt get  it was like that from the review. good thing i didnt buy them. 
you would say the eph100 have  enough/better/fuller vocals? closer to the FXT90 than the 80?

May 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #10,241 of 16,931
Quote:
well, if found the Xcited really bad on vocals, so i didnt get  it was like that from the review. good thing i didnt buy them. 
you would say the eph100 have  enough/better/fuller vocals? closer to the FXT90 than the 80?

Yeah, definitely. I actually like the mids of the EPH-100.

Quote:
Hi Joker, awesome ciem round-up and review.  How is the JH13fp from portable sources?  I love keeping everything on the trusty iphone 4S....

Quite good, I'm sure the iPhone will be fine. I know some of the other IF writers went crazy with $3k sources and whatnot but for me a custom in-ear should sound great portably so I only used them straight from a DAP or (at most) with a portable amp or mini-DAC. Anyway, iPhone on the go and USB DAC at home is something I'd be happy with. 

May 10, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #10,244 of 16,931
Quote:
I have the Miracles right now. Do you think JH13 Pro Freqphase should be my next step? From your words, they sound very different, and JH13pro might be a bit better?

I know this is not your question, but if you just had them and enjoy them, maybe you should postpone your next step (look who's talking) :)

May 10, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #10,245 of 16,931
Quote:
I know this is not your question, but if you just had them and enjoy them, maybe you should postpone your next step (look who's talking) :)

I won't say anything bad in Miracle Appreciation Thread. But, here, i can tell you the Miracles don't amaze me at all (though it is a very very good CIEM, which IMO is way better than Fitear 334)
One of the reasons is because neither UM Aus and UM Lab offers a good service to me. Both of them, especially UM Aus, are irresponsible for their customers. Leaving my questions unsolved, and ignoring my email for a week. I should have been able to make my decision whether i will need another pair of impressions for refit last week, if they had replied my email and answered my questions.
Another reason is the Miracles sound too polite just as you wrote in your review. The very first impressions is the Miracles sounds really natural. It expressed what the music should be like. Beyond this, I am not looking for something more impressive, but UM haven't shown anything special yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back