Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #10,216 of 16,931
Quote:

Agreed, or maybe the JVC FX700 if I isolation is not important, though I'm still not sure spending $350 is necessary to upgrade from the S4 with good bass and better vocals. The EPH-100 does that for $150.

If you can also love them for their strengths... 

The W4 is darker than both of your sets and generally a little more mid-centric, especially next to the v-shaped TF10s. If you're looking for something between the TF10 and Grado signature I think the UE900 might be a better option.

But i dont care for the EPH-100 there is no support from comply for that specific model. as well the way the tips are inserted or design TBH.

May 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #10,217 of 16,931
I find that the IE8 do not actually have very much sub bass... I think it is the "sennheiser sound"...

Anything from about 50hz upwards is really nice but there is not much sub bass compared to Atrio MG7 for example which has everything down to about 20hz right in your face.

Overall though very nice IEM, would be nice to have sennheiser IE8 with Atrio MG7 bass though. I guess that either doesn't exist or would cost a lot lol.

May 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #10,218 of 16,931
Quote:
I find that the IE8 do not actually have very much sub bass... I think it is the "sennheiser sound"...

Anything from about 50hz upwards is really nice but there is not much sub bass compared to Atrio MG7 for example which has everything down to about 20hz right in your face.

Overall though very nice IEM, would be nice to have sennheiser IE8 with Atrio MG7 bass though. I guess that either doesn't exist or would cost a lot lol.

I agree with nicholars' statement. IE8 has lots of good bass but seems to lack a bit of control. I heard that IE80 addresses this issue nicely. 

May 6, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #10,219 of 16,931
Its not too bad quality, its just that it does not seem to extend very low compared to something like Atrio MG7. Would be nice to have a bit more extension and clarity though. Are the IE80 actually better for quantity and extension of the bass? Or is it just that they removed the midbass on the IE80?

May 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #10,220 of 16,931
Quote:
What is the best relatively cheap amplification for IEM? I guess one of the Fiio products?

I find that my DAP (sansa clip) actually sounds better than my Desktop amp / dac with IEM's (NAD 326bee and Dacmagic) Probably because the NAD is 60ohm impedance.... However the Sansa clip is a bit lacking in bass etc. Would a fiio or similar be an improvement for IEM?

You would probably want something with bass boost in that case, because having a higher-end source does not automatically equal more bass. The Fiio E7 (or E07k) has built-in bass boost and a DAC.

Quote:
It sounds like you love JH13pro more.
If they really sound very differenet, i will go for JH13 next. But according to others' words, JH13 sometime sounds "boring" (have no idea if it's the proper word to decribe it.)

I only have the JH13Pro Freqphase. I never tried the original JH13. The Freqphase is not boring at all to me, it actually has a very mildly v-shaped sound with a hint of added mid-bass kick and some treble sparkle. 

Quote:

But if you're comparing it to the Atrio, which has elevated deep bass, pretty much everything will seem like it's lacking in deep bass. With the bass screw turned up the IE8 has a fairly balanced amount of deep bass vs mid-bass, with maybe a little more mid-bass. The Atrio is the exception, not the rule. 

May 6, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #10,221 of 16,931
Hi all. New head-fier here. Can anyone suggest a good iem under $150 that can be considered a good upgrade over the Sunrise xcited. I am currently considering the r50 and the vc1000 but since ljokerl hasn't heard the vc1000 yet, can you please give more models. Any opinion is much appreciated, thanks.

May 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #10,222 of 16,931
I'm lost...

ljokerl, could you please point me to something in the $200-$600 range, either universal, or even preferred, CIEM that would suit my tastes?

After reading a lot of other reviews I'm still lost.

I want bass, I especially want great dynamics, cannot stand the most subtle grain or harshness in mids/highs, like "thick note" presentation... and usually also have problems to get good fit. And should be fine with iphone/ipad, etc.

GR07 BE after 400 hours of burn in are more bearable, but tracks like Red Hot Chili Peppers "Can't Stop" cause me lots of hearing fatigue... and I find them to be too "flat", I definitely don't wan't a monitor, I would like to enjoy ALL kind of music!

I'm very curious regarding your statement of the Heir 8.A... the price is really steep but you got me wondering...

May 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #10,223 of 16,931
|joker|, If you were mostly a rock music (mostly indie, classic rock, alt, punk, avant garde, psychodelic) and some pop (indie, dream) lover, which CIEM would you pick between Heir 8.A and JH13 pro or Miracle? And when you will be mostly listening to them on your daily commute.

May 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #10,224 of 16,931
Quote:
I'm lost...

ljokerl, could you please point me to something in the $200-$600 range, either universal, or even preferred, CIEM that would suit my tastes?

I want bass, I especially want great dynamics, cannot stand the most subtle grain or harshness in mids/highs, like "thick note" presentation... and usually also have problems to get good fit. And should be fine with iphone/ipad, etc.

GR07 BE after 400 hours of burn in are more bearable, but tracks like Red Hot Chili Peppers "Can't Stop" cause me lots of hearing fatigue... and I find them to be too "flat", I definitely don't wan't a monitor, I would like to enjoy ALL kind of music!

I'm very curious regarding your statement of the Heir 8.A... the price is really steep but you got me wondering...

Im not joker but.... Sennheiser IE80 sounds like something you might like....

May 7, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #10,225 of 16,931
Quote:

I only have the JH13Pro Freqphase. I never tried the original JH13. The Freqphase is not boring at all to me, it actually has a very mildly v-shaped sound with a hint of added mid-bass kick and some treble sparkle. 

Sorry for making you confuse. Actually i meant JH13 Pro with Freqphase. I have no interest in the original JH13.
I think Miracle is quite versatile. Do you think Freqphase also is able to handle as many generics as Miracle?

May 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #10,226 of 16,931
Quote:
But if you're comparing it to the Atrio, which has elevated deep bass, pretty much everything will seem like it's lacking in deep bass. With the bass screw turned up the IE8 has a fairly balanced amount of deep bass vs mid-bass, with maybe a little more mid-bass. The Atrio is the exception, not the rule. 

I think you are right.... I have got used to the amount of bass on the ie8 now and they do have a good amount... It balances well with the rest of the sound. I think it is because of a lack of distortion in the midbass it seems like there is less bass compared to the SE215.

May 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #10,227 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi all. New head-fier here. Can anyone suggest a good iem under $150 that can be considered a good upgrade over the Sunrise xcited. I am currently considering the r50 and the vc1000 but since ljokerl hasn't heard the vc1000 yet, can you please give more models. Any opinion is much appreciated, thanks.

The Xcited is an interesting earphone... for a dynamic-driver it's quite lean-sounding, especially in the midrange. Do you like its sound? If so, the JVC FXD80 is the closest-sounding upgrade I can think of.

If you don't mind a little more bass and a fuller overall sound, the Philips Fidelio S1/S2 earphones could be a contender as well. The R-50 will be more balanced than the Xcited but you'll give up some of the bass punch, which you wouldn't be doing with an FXD80 or Fidelio S2. 

Quote:
I'm lost...

1964EARS V3. Lots of bass, very "fun" sound, custom-fit, smoother treble than the GR07. Also super sensitive and works great with mobile devices. 

Quote:
|joker|, If you were mostly a rock music (mostly indie, classic rock, alt, punk, avant garde, psychodelic) and some pop (indie, dream) lover, which CIEM would you pick between Heir 8.A and JH13 pro or Miracle? And when you will be mostly listening to them on your daily commute.

For me, JH13Pro, but then I prefer it over the 8.A in general and the Miracle much of the time.The Miracle might have a better bass quantity for me (less boost than the JH13) but its mids just aren't as rich and inviting in comparison, and it's not quite as clear, either. The 8.A has more of a warm and smooth signature. Not really my kind of sound, but it's the most forgiving of the bunch. 

Isolation-wise these are all pretty similar. I think the shells of the 8.A are a touch thicker so it has a very slight edge but nothing substantial. The sets that isolate better are the silicone ones (Sensaphonics, Spiral Ear), the Westones with their vinyl tips, and monitors with a musician fit (like the Hidition NT 6).

Quote:
Sorry for making you confuse. Actually i meant JH13 Pro with Freqphase. I have no interest in the original JH13.
I think Miracle is quite versatile. Do you think Freqphase also is able to handle as many generics as Miracle?

Yep, I think it's very easy-going and I've enjoyed it with everything I threw it at. Tyll (@Innerfidelity) thought the JH13 was vastly more genre-neutral than the Miracle, IIRC.

May 8, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #10,229 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks for the help ljokerl. I think the R-50 would do best. I like the sound sig of the Xcited but I think I can live with less bass. Btw, will you do a review of the vc1000?

I don't have one at this time and there are lots of other things in the queue, so probably not for a while.

May 8, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #10,230 of 16,931
Quote:

The Xcited is an interesting earphone... for a dynamic-driver it's quite lean-sounding, especially in the midrange. Do you like its sound? If so, the JVC FXD80 is the closest-sounding upgrade I can think of.

If you don't mind a little more bass and a fuller overall sound, the Philips Fidelio S1/S2 earphones could be a contender as well. The R-50 will be more balanced than the Xcited but you'll give up some of the bass punch, which you wouldn't be doing with an FXD80 or Fidelio S2. 

interesting. i didnt liked the Xcited. how exactly is the fxd80 and upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back