Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #10,187 of 16,931
ljokerl, and any other with wide experience with IEMs, I would like to ask for some orientation:

After "discovering" the Vsonic GR06 thanks to this thread, I started to have the "itch" to upgrade, so the quest began...

I don't use amps, the IEMs should sound fine with a naked iphone, ipad or ipod.

I love the GR06 for their superb qualities in terms of bass and  music enjoyment, I hate analitic IEMs and these made me wanting to keep listening to all my music. They're not precise, but very fun and enjoyable.

They can of course be better in terms of detail, precision, "cleanliness" and imaging.

I tried the rockit sound R-50, not my cup of tea: inexistent bass, tooo analitic, too fast (for me)

I got the GR07 BE right now. After letting them 300 hours of burn-in, I'm starting to bear with their initial unbearable, harsh, brain-grating sibilances.

They are a significant improvement in terms of detail, imaging, speed (w/o being tooo fast), and overall "balance".

My ideal sound signature: IEMs that make most music (Rock, Pop, Indie) sound powerful, highly dynamic and enjoyable while keeping detail.

Most of my preferred songs belongs to BritRockPop genre (Travis, Richard Ashcroft, Skunk Anansie, Coldplay,  Stereophonics, etc...) and are exquisitely produced and mixed,  but my music tastes are rather wide, from Heavy/Nu metal, Grunge to Jack Johnsson,  Reggae, etc. (almost anything but Classical) and some groups (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica)  Mids in their mixes in combination with IEMs that portray  mids in a "rough" manner render their music unlistenable for me, when the feeling I'm looking for is wanting to keep on listening and listening to more and more music. 

My ideal IEM: powerful, defined bass and subbass, detailed, slightly laidback mids, and silky, lusty smoooth airy highs, while keeping resolution: instrument timbre, nuances, imaging etc.

Though I prefer to trade enjoyability to precision anytime. I'm not working with or analyzing the sound, but ENJOYING.

That's what made me think about the hybrid IEMs combo, guess the point is getting that bass/sub bass presence with a meaty dynamic driver while letting the precision and silkyness in mids/highs to BAs??? 

I'm aware of the upcoming release of the V7007. Do you think guys these could be just what I'm looking for?

Additionally, I always have problems to get a good fit with universals. One ear cavity is smaller than the other, the earcanal seems to go in a upright direction making fitting universals rather tricky, etc... So the initial un-thinkable option of getting CIEMs started to wander through my mind, as the IEMs/iphone combo has been unbeatable for me, providing me the option to enjoy music ANYWERE, so I will definitely recover the investment.

I wonder how would the new Unique Melody 3DD fit my tastes, though they're all dynamic, don't know if dynamic mids/highs translate to roughness/harsh sound, or simply could not be as detailed and fast as BAs, which could be a plus for me. 

ljokerl after reading tons of your reviews and comparisons I think you hit the nail in every one I have owned, so your opinion/guidance is very appreciated! 

May 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #10,188 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker which iem reviews are gonna come up in coming days? Couldn't find in 001 conclusions sections of ur op

I took it off because I no longer review everything I get my hands on. It's going to be something like this (no particular order):

VSonic GR07BE and R02 Silver
UE600
Dunu Landmine and Detonator
Sony MH1C
TDK MT300
Bunch of customs
Philips Fidelio S1/S2
Sennheiser IE 800
Philips SHE3580

and dozens of maybes...

Quote:
I bought some IE8 second hand, I am not sure about whether they are real or fake.... They have removable cable, working bass dials and look good quality etc. I think they are probably real from this, although they have straight L/R lettering and the red chip is quite hard to see on right cable...

Anyway my point is that these seem to have a good soundstage and lower mids but where is this amazing bass that "blows your head off"? Compared to the Atrio these have not much sub bass in songs and the bass does not seem very present? Is this the sound signature of these headphones or is there something wrong? They seem to have really good lower mids and some upper bass but there is not very much of it even with full bass mode and these is not a lot of sub bass either.

I'm pretty sure the consensus is that the IE8 has plenty of bass, mine certainly did. Not Atrio level sub-bass but plenty of mid-bass and overall way more than neutral. I'm not an expert on fake Sennheiser products so I can't be of much help there.

Quote:
Hey Ljoker, I saw Tyll's measurements of Thermaltake Isurus and was astounded how it measured so well. But obviously, frequency response is not everything. My question is, why is Thermaltake Isurus not reviewed here and is there a possibility that they will be reviewed here if it indeed sounds good as how its measured?

Also, does this headphone have multiple models? Because I searched it in Amazon and there seems to be plenty of 'Thermaltake Isurus' or is it just mostly a difference in color?

It's a little too harsh for me but overall it sounds good. I just haven't had time to review it. I'm pretty sure it comes in several colors. 

Quote:
Joker...do you really use the MEElec M6 for running,
when you have all those custom in ears?

Balanced armatures don't like moisture and I'd rather not kill one of my custom in-ears. I would use the Kozee X1 but it doesn't have enough bass to really get the blood pumping. 

Quote:
ljokerl, and any other with wide experience with IEMs, I would like to ask for some orientation:

After "discovering" the Vsonic GR06 thanks to this thread, I started to have the "itch" to upgrade, so the quest began...

I don't use amps, the IEMs should sound fine with a naked iphone, ipad or ipod.

I love the GR06 for their superb qualities in terms of bass and  music enjoyment, I hate analitic IEMs and these made me wanting to keep listening to all my music. They're not precise, but very fun and enjoyable.

They can of course be better in terms of detail, precision, "cleanliness" and imaging.

I tried the rockit sound R-50, not my cup of tea: inexistent bass, tooo analitic, too fast.

I got the GR07 BE right now. After letting them 300 hours of burn-in, I'm starting to bear with their initial unbearable, harsh, brain-grating sibilances.

They are a significant improvement in terms of detail, imaging, speed (w/o being tooo fast), and overall "balance".

My ideal sound signature: IEMs that make most music (Rock, Pop, Indie) sound enjoyable.

Most of my preferred songs belongs to BritRockPop genre (Travis, Richard Ashcroft, Skunk Anansie, Coldplay,  Stereophonics, etc...) are exquisitely produced and mixed,  but my music tastes are rather wide, from Heavy/Nu metal, Grunge to Jack Johnsson,  Reggae, etc. (almost anything but Classical) and some groups (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica)  Mids in their mixes in combination with IEMs that portray  mids in a "rough" render their music unlistenable for me, when the feeling I'm looking for is to want to keep on listening and listening to more and more music. 

My ideal IEM: powerful, defined bass and subbass, detailed, slightly laidback mids, and silky, lusty smoooth airy highs, while keeping instrument timbre, nuances, etc.

Though I prefer to trade enjoyability to precision anytime. I'm not working with or analyzing the sound, but ENJOYING.

That's what made me think about the hybrid IEMs combo, guess the point is getting that bass/sub bass presence with a dynamic driver while letting the precision and silkyness in mids/highs to BAs??? 

I'm aware of the upcoming release of the V7007. Do you think guys these could be just what I'm looking for?

However, I always have problem to get a good fit with universals. One ear cavity is smaller than the other, the earcanal seems to go in a upright direction making fitting universals rather tricky, etc... So the initial un-thinkable option of getting CIEMs started to fly through my mind, as IEMs/iphone has been an unbeatable combo and option to enjoy music ANYWERE, so I will definitely recover the investment.

I wonder how would UM 3DD fit my tastes, though they're all dynamic, don't know if dynamic mids/highs translate to roughness/harsh sound, or simply could not be as detailed and fast as BAs, which could be a plus for me. 

ljokerl after reading tons of your reviews and comparisons I think you hit the nail in every on I have owned, so your opinion/guidance is very appreciated! 

I think it's hard to say anything about the V7007 at this point. My experience with hybrids so far has been that they either have somewhat recessed treble (for example with Super.Fi 5EB and K3003 +Bass tuning) or a slightly v-shaped signature (K3003 +Treble or Reference setting, or Ultrasone IQ). I haven't heard anything from T-Peos at this point. There are BA-based customs that fit your requirements but the ones I've heard run a pretty penny ($700+). You would love the Heir 8.A, for example.

You don't have to spend that much to upgrade from the GR06 per se, but if you will always be wondering "what if", the investment might be worth it considering you've pretty much figured out what you want already. 

May 4, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #10,190 of 16,931
Vsonic gr06 vs sony mdr v6 ...(basically at around 60$ which will give me better sound quality for price over the ear or in ear...If over the ear pls give me names of some good over the ear headphones around 60$)

May 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #10,191 of 16,931
Quote:

I think it's hard to say anything about the V7007 at this point. My experience with hybrids so far has been that they either have somewhat recessed treble (for example with Super.Fi 5EB and K3003 +Bass tuning) or a slightly v-shaped signature (K3003 +Treble or Reference setting, or Ultrasone IQ). I haven't heard anything from T-Peos at this point. There are BA-based customs that fit your requirements but the ones I've heard run a pretty penny ($700+). You would love the Heir 8.A, for example.

You don't have to spend that much to upgrade from the GR06 per se, but if you will always be wondering "what if", the investment might be worth it considering you've pretty much figured out what you want already. 

Problem with "trying" those (K3003, Ultrasone IQ, Super.Fi 5EB, Heir 8.A, etc its all reach the $1000 mark, while CIEMs are around $600-700!

what about $300-$600 range? UE-900 maybe?

May 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #10,192 of 16,931
Quote:
Vsonic gr06 vs sony mdr v6 ...(basically at around 60$ which will give me better sound quality for price over the ear or in ear...If over the ear pls give me names of some good over the ear headphones around 60$)

The best will always depend on your preferred sound signature and desired application. I prefer the GR06 to the MDR-V6 but I also dislike comparing headphones and IEMs. Headphones have their purpose but for on-the-go use I have been favoring IEMs for a very long time now. 

Quote:

Problem with "trying" those (K3003, Ultrasone IQ, Super.Fi 5EB, Heir 8.A, etc its all reach the $1000 mark, while CIEMs are around $600-700!

what about $300-$600 range? UE-900 maybe?

I didn't recommend trying them - just relaying my experience with Hybrid designs and the fact that they may not automatically be what you are looking for. Also, the Super.Fi5 EB is discontinued (and was only $200 or so when it was in production) and the 8.A is very much a CIEM. 

The UE900 may not have enough bass for you but otherwise is pretty good. Treble is smoother than the GR07 for sure. 

May 5, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #10,193 of 16,931
An article featuring 9 of my CIEM reviews has been added on InnerFidelity here.

A few are recycled from this thread - namely the UM Miracle and Spiral Ears SE 3-way Reference, but 7 are new:

-Westone ES5
-Sensaphonics 3MAX
-JHAudio JH13 Pro FreqPhase
-Heir Audio 8.A
-Lime Ears LE3 and LE3B
-Hidition NT 6

They will be added to this thread over time as well. 

Quote:
Joker which iem reviews are gonna come up in coming days? Couldn't find in 001 conclusions sections of ur op

Just put the "upcoming reviews" section back and also added a few earphones (off the top of my head) that I have here but didn't find interesting enough to review right below. Not all of them are downright terrible - mostly just lackluster. 

May 5, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #10,194 of 16,931
Quote:

A few are recycled from this thread - namely the UM Miracle and Spiral Ears SE 3-way Reference, but 7 are new:

-Westone ES5
-Sensaphonics 3MAX
-Heir Audio 8.A
-Lime Ears LE3 and LE3B
-Hidition NT 6

Just put the "upcoming reviews" section back and also added a few earphones (off the top of my head) that I have here but didn't find interesting enough to review right below. Not all of them are downright terrible - mostly just lackluster. 

popcorn.gif
 Thank you ljokerl for adding the CIEMs!

May 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #10,196 of 16,931
if i put the volume just a bit up with my MEElec A161P i get
some pretty evident distortion\grain... i mean, its the kind of distortion i remember
from cheap not-in-ear earbuds that appears when the volume gets higher...
my A161P is connected to my Samsung Galaxy S1 and i do have
the sound-chip hack thing installed, but it doesnt help much
is this something you have to get used to?
i do love the sound overall though

May 5, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #10,197 of 16,931

-Westone ES5
-Sensaphonics 3MAX
-Heir Audio 8.A
-Lime Ears LE3 and LE3B
-Hidition NT 6

Great write-up. It was interesting to see the different thought patterns and writing styles describing the same things from varying experienced perspectives.

Also, I feel responsible for mentioning the upcoming reviews section and the ensuing carnage =/
But I'm glad it's back.

May 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #10,199 of 16,931
Quote:
popcorn.gif
 Thank you ljokerl for adding the CIEMs!

That was a fun one to write
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Review the 7550s! Or can you just give me your quick impression on them? Especially compared to Etymotic ER4s.

They are pretty similar to the EX600/EX1000 minus some of the treble presence. Warmer and more punchy than an ER4, and more spacious as well. Really depends on whether you want something a little more accurate (ER4) or a little more spacious and relaxed, with good mids (7550).

Quote:
if i put the volume just a bit up with my MEElec A161P i get
some pretty evident distortion\grain... i mean, its the kind of distortion i remember
from cheap not-in-ear earbuds that appears when the volume gets higher...
my A161P is connected to my Samsung Galaxy S1 and i do have
the sound-chip hack thing installed, but it doesnt help much
is this something you have to get used to?
i do love the sound overall though

Not familiar with the Galaxy as a source but the A161P doesn't really distort except at max volume. There is some grain in the treble, but it's not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. 

Quote:
Great write-up. It was interesting to see the different thought patterns and writing styles describing the same things from varying experienced perspectives.

Also, I feel responsible for mentioning the upcoming reviews section and the ensuing carnage =/
But I'm glad it's back.

Yeah, I guess I should have re-organized it instead of removing it in the first place. 

Quote:
Nice global review you guys did. Of course some are missing but it is impossible to get them all and it gives a great alternative to Joe s thread. I have the Miracles and se5 and I am considering Fitear and NT6 pro. Do you think the jh13 is worth it having the Miracles or are they too close sounding ?
Thanks

Not too close - compared to the Miracle the JH13 has more midrange presence (and a more forward presentation), better clarity, and more mid-bass by a few dB. The JH13 is more punchy and impactful but also a little more resolving overall. I suppose it could be called more analytical when it comes to how it presents music. The Miracle’s treble seemed a touch smoother to me but they are similar in presence and extension at the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back