Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #9,931 of 16,931
Quote:
Hello ALL!, signed up because I'm in need of some advice.

First of all thank you joker for the overwhelming and incredibly useful amount of information, only just breaking into the scene at the moment, so I've never owned a good pair of IEM's, thus I'm clueless.

I'm shopping around the 100-150($) mark (pretty flexible), judging from your reviews the HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2 & JVC HA-FXT90 seem very good, in terms of not having many cons and overall conclusion. Now I'm not sure how old these 2 are, and if there are better / updated versions out there, or better IEMs in terms of bang for your buck. So any help in picking an IEM out would be greatly appreciated :)! I listen to mostly EDM, trance & house music, plan on using them at the gym and for my general commuting. Going to be using them on my ipod touch, not really sure what to expect in terms of isolation, and having controls is not an option I'm really fussy over.

Thanks for your time.

p.s. I live in Australia, notsureif that even matters though, as I'm willing to pay for shipping for anything you highly recommend.

if you'r in australia you can get the eph100 for ~$100

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #9,932 of 16,931
Quote:

I have both Philips. Currently working on a review. So far they sound very good (and very similar to each other). I think the cheaper $100 one (forgot which number goes with which) is at least as good a value as the RE-400 from HiFiMan.

Two small nitpicks so far: I am not a big fan of the stock silicone tips and the housings are a little on the large side (13.5mm drivers and all that). Once sealed properly they definitely deliver, though. 

Any plans to add the Phiaton MS200 Moderna into the mix seeing how similar a design they share?

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #9,933 of 16,931
Quote:
In the realm of IEMs the GR01 is rather flat-sounding, which is probably why you came across it in your search. However - and this is part of the reason I don't like comparing IEMs and headphones - the bass and presentation come across differently between similarly-tuned IEMs and headphones, with the bass always being more visceral on the headphone. You won't get the same sensation of air moved from a GR01 as you do from a Q701 (I am basing this on my old K701, which I am assuming is similar) - to get that you would need a slightly enhanced-bass earphone like the GR07. Again, I say this only because I am familiar with the K701 - if you discount that one caveat, the two should be fairly similar.

First, thank you for your response and also for this guide. Second, forgive me for having you compare IEMs and headphones... not what I intended. It's just that I love the sound signature I get from my Q701s. So now I'm in the market for some IEMs so I can use on the go.

I recently purchased the Shure SE215-LTDs but had to return them (too bassy). This is why I asked if there were any IEMs that sounded like the Q701s. And yes, though different, they are very similar to the K701s (from what I have read). But mine have different pads (from K702 Annies) that raise the bass just a little... perfect enough for me.

So anyways, from what I understand is I am better off with the GR07 instead of the GR01. Are there any more IEMs under $200 that may be what I'm looking for? 

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #9,934 of 16,931
This is great input. I wonder, have you ever listened to GR07's? I'm tossed up between them and the B2/DBA-02.

Sorry, I'm apparently one of the few who have never heard the GR07. It certainly has plenty of fans around Head-fi.

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #9,935 of 16,931
Quote:

This is great input. I wonder, have you ever listened to GR07's? I'm tossed up between them and the B2/DBA-02.

An excellent read: http://www.head-fi.org/t/556556/comparison-russia-china-showdown-dba-02-vs-gr07

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #9,936 of 16,931
Quote:

That's a very good deal if you're looking for a mild v-shape as your signature. The UE500 is pretty smooth - certainly more so than the GR02BE. Clarity is about on-par. The M5 is smoother but the tradeoff is less treble in general and also a touch less clarity.

Thank you for the reply Joker, this made me think and research more into what sound signature would fit me better and I decided to play it safe and get something warm/sweet, I managed to get a MEElec A151 for U$30 on Amazon. Should be a good enough intro iem for me :)

Once again, thanks for the help and for making this topic, it is invaluable!

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #9,938 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey joker (or whomever), have you seen the Fidelio S1/2 on sale in the US yet?

Also, what are the plastic bits you alluded to, is it in the face side of the housing? Philip's renders make them look really similar and the description makes it sound like the S2 has a copper alloy housing and the other one's just Al or whatever.

I thought I saw the S1 on ebay for ~$95. They are up on the Philips USA website so I'm sure they will hit major distribution soon. 

The official pics do look very similar but the finish is definitely different and they use different materials in places. The S1 feels lighter as well. Here's a picture of the housings from the front:

Quote:
Hi Joker..thank you so much for all you do for us!  My current set up is DBA-02 (Mk2) paired with JDS Labs O2 or Fiio E-11, and I have settled on this after trying countless other options/pairings.  I love the IEM sound its signature is perfect for me, apart from 2 things - 1) I need a hair more bass and more natural decay 2) I need a hair less treble sibilance.  I love the speed and quality of the bass and I love the incredible treble energy apart from these 2 quibs.  I don't plan to upgrade my amps just yet.  Do you have any suggestions on what would be a better IEM that allows me to retain all the current characteristics, and yet address my 2 needs?  Many thanks...Cheers

For the sibilance issue I would try adding an inline impedance adapter - it seems to slightly reduce treble quantity with TWFKs.

It's hard to find an earphone with the strengths of the DBA-02 but none of the drawbacks. The RE272, for example, has similarly great clarity and smoother treble but doesn't give you any more bass quantity. The RE-400 has a bit more bass and smoother treble but that bass hump is noticeable in comparison to the DBA-02/RE-272 and you lose a small amount of the clarity. The GR07 (mkI) has the bass but is more sibilant, and so on. You may have to go high-end, like the UE900, and still do a little of EQing to bring the treble energy up to DBA-02 levels if you need.

Quote:
Hello ALL!, signed up because I'm in need of some advice.

First of all thank you joker for the overwhelming and incredibly useful amount of information, only just breaking into the scene at the moment, so I've never owned a good pair of IEM's, thus I'm clueless.

I'm shopping around the 100-150($) mark (pretty flexible), judging from your reviews the HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2 & JVC HA-FXT90 seem very good, in terms of not having many cons and overall conclusion. Now I'm not sure how old these 2 are, and if there are better / updated versions out there, or better IEMs in terms of bang for your buck. So any help in picking an IEM out would be greatly appreciated :)! I listen to mostly EDM, trance & house music, plan on using them at the gym and for my general commuting. Going to be using them on my ipod touch, not really sure what to expect in terms of isolation, and having controls is not an option I'm really fussy over.

Thanks for your time.

p.s. I live in Australia, notsureif that even matters though, as I'm willing to pay for shipping for anything you highly recommend.

They are both 2012 additions so no updated versions yet as far as I know (unless you consider JVC's pricier triple dynamic models). I don't consider the Wooduo 2 to be as good as the FXT90 unless you favor its massive subbass. The FXT90 is nice, with plenty likable sound. Not sure how it will hold up for gym use - I would probably pick up a cheaper/disposable set if you sweat a lot. The EPH-100 as recommended by Zelda is also something I like a lot, unless its higher isolation will be dangerous during your commute.

Quote:
need help a good IEM at 50$ - 150$ price range
listening most to EDM and some blues and metal
never had any advance iem before just couple of cheap headphone

any advice?
thanks b4

Really depends on the type of sound you favor. Someone asked a similar question on the previous page with a ~$100 limit and I recommended the JVC FXT90 - I think its mildly v-shaped signature works well for both genres as long as you don't favor neutral sound. It's a safe option that won't leave you wanting more bass. The Yamaha EPH-100 is another safe one with an overall warmer, smoother sound.

Quote:

Any plans to add the Phiaton MS200 Moderna into the mix seeing how similar a design they share?

I have a pair here but was planning to skip them - the performance is a little underwhelming. One of the most unique-looking IEMs I have but so far just doesn't seem to be a very strong performer. I am not sure what the price is at but they sound like a bassier - but not necessarily better - Phiaton PS20. 

Quote:

First, thank you for your response and also for this guide. Second, forgive me for having you compare IEMs and headphones... not what I intended. It's just that I love the sound signature I get from my Q701s. So now I'm in the market for some IEMs so I can use on the go.

I recently purchased the Shure SE215-LTDs but had to return them (too bassy). This is why I asked if there were any IEMs that sounded like the Q701s. And yes, though different, they are very similar to the K701s (from what I have read). But mine have different pads (from K702 Annies) that raise the bass just a little... perfect enough for me.

So anyways, from what I understand is I am better off with the GR07 instead of the GR01. Are there any more IEMs under $200 that may be what I'm looking for? 

Yes, the SE215 is in a different league of bass-heavy compared to the GR07. The bass of the GR07 is just north of neutral. You may want to look at the new Philips Fidelio S1/S2 as well. Not much out there on them at the moment (they are new) but they sound very good. I think the S2 is about on-par with the GR07 and will run just $150. I'm not yet sure which sound signature I favor. One key difference outside of the sound is the fit - the Philips has to be worn cable-down while the GR07 has to be worn cord-up. 

Quote:

Thank you for the reply Joker, this made me think and research more into what sound signature would fit me better and I decided to play it safe and get something warm/sweet, I managed to get a MEElec A151 for U$30 on Amazon. Should be a good enough intro iem for me :)

Once again, thanks for the help and for making this topic, it is invaluable!

Good price for the A151, cheaper even than the Astrotec and Rock-It Sounds competition. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #9,940 of 16,931
Quote:

Really depends on the type of sound you favor. Someone asked a similar question on the previous page with a ~$100 limit and I recommended the JVC FXT90 - I think its mildly v-shaped signature works well for both genres as long as you don't favor neutral sound. It's a safe option that won't leave you wanting more bass. The Yamaha EPH-100 is another safe one with an overall warmer, smoother sound.

I like bass but I'm not a basshead. I like balance all around sound but with more bass or sub-bass 
if I extend my budget to $200 what are you recommend?
currently aiming GR07 mk2 but after read GR07 Bass Edition I become confused @@
and I found TDK BA200 is in GR07 price range
any advice?

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #9,941 of 16,931
Quote:

I have a pair here but was planning to skip them - the performance is a little underwhelming. One of the most unique-looking IEMs I have but so far just doesn't seem to be a very strong performer. I am not sure what the price is at but they sound like a bassier - but not necessarily better - Phiaton PS20. 

$120 (+ shipping, depending in location) from ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phiaton-MS-200-Moderna-Earphones-Comply-Tips-Mic-Music-Control-Free-Shipping-/380536392279?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item5899bc8a57

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #9,942 of 16,931
Quote:

What are you looking to change compared to the GR07? I've been enjoying the newer GR07BE lately. If you don't want another VSonic set I don't think you'll find anything with quite the same signature in that price range. Some alternatives with different signatures may be the JVC FXT90, Yamaha EPH-100, or HiFiMan RE-400.

So this made me think that "vsonic it is then", but then i read about this rockit sound r-50 and vsonics gr01, what can you say about vsonic gr07 BE and mk2, gr01 and r-50. these are my last choices for my replacement iems, reading alot of reviews didnt help as i will for example like gr07 but after reading a post then switch to gr01 after reading another, i really want the balanced sound maybe a tad leaning in the bass side for the sound signature. thanks for the opinions again. :)

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #9,943 of 16,931
hello again.
im satisfied with Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII while using with favourite powerful/clear leading vocal. It sounds clear and gives me "feeling of scene" (it still far behind/flat compared to akg k702) + im getting nice isolation ... and that nice monitor sound with all creepy mastering fails =/.

i'v wanted to interest as if is there are IEMs that suitable for a bit different music? i'v found out that it gives me headache (im not sure how to describe that sound but at the powerful/fastest parts of the song im getting sort of "peak sound" changing to "a bit metallic/plastic/flat" (i rly dunno how else to describe that) and its not suitable) whan i try to hear Skillet, Lacuna Coil or Cascada with it. Sometimes Gamma Ray too ...
i am ready to buy another pair for testing. wich one i should try now? its again around 200$ per pair.

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #9,944 of 16,931
Hi all

So from what I read the HiFiMan RE 400 is rated pretty highly around here.

You guys reckon, if for the same price I can get TDK IE 800. Which one would you choose?

I listen to all range of musics but mainly EDM and pop jazz and a bit of rock and hip hop. I want mainly the clarity really in my IEM.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back