Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 27, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #9,841 of 16,931
Quote:

Hmmm, very good insight, thank you. How much price increase are we talking for an upgrade that would be a good soundstage with that kind of intimate feel the FXT90s give? Any recommendations along those lines?

I think we need more clarification. In my definition your requests seem to be at odds. Intimate and soundstage seem to reflect opposite terms.an Hf5 is "intimate", a monster copper perhaps less so, the Westone 'W' series and Earsonics have more 'soundstage', then there's ie8 and SM64. I think you need to decide what it is exactly you're looking for. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #9,842 of 16,931
To me soundstage has no quantifier/qualifier on it's own. An intimate soundstage is certainly available. I think the person needs to clarify their term "good soundstage". Intimate, deep, wide, tall, airy, etc. are fine basic descriptors but "good", not so much
smile.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #9,843 of 16,931
Quote:
To me soundstage has no quantifier/qualifier on it's own. An intimate soundstage is certainly available. I think the person needs to clarify their term "good soundstage". Intimate, deep, wide, tall, airy, etc. are fine basic descriptors but "good", not so much 
smile.gif

That's definitely a legitimate point. I find that, at least in comparison to other IEM's I've owned, the FXT90 has both a larger soundstage/better imaging and separation, AND more intimate feel of the mids (vocals/strings). I think this may be a more direct result of the sound signature of what I'm comparing with, however. To me, a "good" soundstage involves nice separation, imaging/placement, and an "out-of-the-head" feel. This, combined with the kind of musical presentation the FXT90 signature has, creates both intimacy and good imaging. 

Quote:

I think we need more clarification. In my definition your requests seem to be at odds. Intimate and soundstage seem to reflect opposite terms.an Hf5 is "intimate", a monster copper perhaps less so, the Westone 'W' series and Earsonics have more 'soundstage', then there's ie8 and SM64. I think you need to decide what it is exactly you're looking for. 

Read what I said above re: soundstage/intimacy, however, it's true that I don't really know what I'm looking for. I mean, that's why I'm asking, haha. I'm considering just getting a "warmer" sounding IEM with a well-regarded soundstage; for instance, I've heard it said that the GR07 is on the "warmer" end of the spectrum for still being an "anaytical" IEM, so this may be what I'm looking for. With the recent mkii release, the prices on the older ones are coming down a bit as well, which may make a decision even easier to make :p

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #9,844 of 16,931
Quote:

Hmmm, very good insight, thank you. How much price increase are we talking for an upgrade that would be a good soundstage with that kind of intimate feel the FXT90s give? Any recommendations along those lines?

I agree with jant - "good" soundstage is a bit general - but I understand what you mean in this case. The FXT90 has good depth/layering and what I sometimes call a "strong center image", meaning it can center things on its soundstage very well instead of doing the left blob - right blob thing. Earsonics sets tend to be very good at this but they may not have the signature you want. The Westone UM3X is very good at this kind of presentation as well. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #9,847 of 16,931
Quote:
Get my vsonic gr02.but with not much eartipis like promised, according to the retailers, VSONIC cut down the quantity cause of bad manufacturing. 

Hmm.. that's definitely too bad. Maybe the colors proved difficult. What tips does it come with now?

Quote:
Have you ever tested/auditioned the Vsonic GR04 pro's?

I have not

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #9,850 of 16,931
Quote:
just 3 normal hybrids and one double flange. that all. 

Hmm.. all black in color?

Quote:
joker, can you recommend an iem with the best build quality for under $40? i'm not too particular about the other qualities, as long as they perform decently. thanks!

The Philips "The Tread" is probably as good as it gets - it was designed from the ground up to be indestructible. Sound is okay - you can get better for less money but not with the same level of construction quality. If you're going to prioritize sound over build, I'd go for the RHA MA-350 or Dunu Trident. Both sound better than the Philips and are almost as well-made. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #9,851 of 16,931
Hello Joker, thank you for this informative thread!

I am stuck between two IEM choices at the moment... I am looking at the MEElectronics M6 and the MEElectronics M9. They both seem to be pretty similar in terms of sound, however the M9s are relatively cheaper than the M6 model. One key factor in my choice is that I will be using these IEMs most of the time, while at College or running/working out... I notice both can be worn over the ear which is a good option for sporty activities, but I am unsure.

If you could provide some extra insight and aid me in choosing, that would be awesome!

Thank you!

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #9,852 of 16,931
Quote:
Hello Joker, thank you for this informative thread!

I am stuck between two IEM choices at the moment... I am looking at the MEElectronics M6 and the MEElectronics M9. They both seem to be pretty similar in terms of sound, however the M9s are relatively cheaper than the M6 model. One key factor in my choice is that I will be using these IEMs most of the time, while at College or running/working out... I notice both can be worn over the ear which is a good option for sporty activities, but I am unsure.

If you could provide some extra insight and aid me in choosing, that would be awesome!

Thank you!

The M9 can be worn over the ear but it's not nearly as secure when worn that way as the M6. For sports use there's really no competition - I still use my M6 sometimes when I need the secure fit. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #9,853 of 16,931
Have newer M6 revs changed anything significant? I noticed it says rev 1/3 on your profile, not sure if the refresh at the start of this year is #3 or what... I guess rev 2 was when they went to the less microphonic cable and hockey stick plug? That's the one I've got, it's held up well and I run with it a lot.

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #9,854 of 16,931
Quote:
Have newer M6 revs changed anything significant? I noticed it says rev 1/3 on your profile, not sure if the refresh at the start of this year is #3 or what... I guess rev 2 was when they went to the less microphonic cable and hockey stick plug? That's the one I've got, it's held up well and I run with it a lot.

Nothing significant as far as I can tell - my newer one has a standard L-shaped plug, though. I've had this one since 2011. The rev.1 I have is an old maroon one with a straight plug and noisy cable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back