Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 21, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #8,431 of 16,931
Quote:
Quote:
So the TF10's are gonna be ~$100 during Black Friday, is it worth the wait/money over the GR06?
Especially as they run out in minutes.

The TF10 is better overall but also has a different sound signature (much less forward mids, more relative emphasis on the bass and treble). You'd have to figure out if that's something you would like.

I mainly listen to rock, rap, pop, electronic, soundtracks, and instrumental music; which is better for me?

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #8,432 of 16,931
Quote:
I mainly listen to rock, rap, pop, electronic, soundtracks, and instrumental music; which is better for me?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604058/whats-all-this-best-iem-for-rock-pop-bang-nonsense?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 21, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #8,434 of 16,931
Nothing earth shattering, Joker, but still curious if you will be getting a Visang VS-K1 to review?

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #8,436 of 16,931
Quote:

Like I said before, really depends on you sound signature preferences. If I had to guess I'd say the TF10. 

Quote:
Nothing earth shattering, Joker, but still curious if you will be getting a Visang VS-K1 to review?

Yeah, I am strangely curious about them considering ViSang hasn't released anything on the IEM front in ~2 years. I was told I would be sent a pair but it hasn't arrived yet.

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #8,438 of 16,931
I gathered these below for all of y'all who are looking for TF10's in |joker|'s review - .
Quote:
Posted 5/2/10 at 9:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu.
Hey joker, how would the TF10s and some of the more generic universal iems compare on this list? Thanks

I don't know why the TF10 is more generic than the ones on the list but the TF10 would be around a 9.5 in SQ. I have not used mine in a while as I (really) dislike the fit and they are last in line for review since there are so many posts on them out there already.

This is posted back when CK10's were 10/10 and no custom IEMs were added to the review, everything's been scaled down quite a bit since then...

Quote:
Posted 10/6/11 at 3:15pm
Quote:
In your opinion is the TF10 the best iem in the 150 price range or is there better? I'm just wondering, i'm pretty content with my Perfect Bass's right now.

I really don't think there is a 'best' in any price range - just good sets that should be split based on preferred sound signature and functionality. I wouldn't rank the TF10 above the RE262 or EX600 or B2 technically, for example, though I am not denying that many would prefer it to those.

RE262 is currently 9.1 SQ and 8.95 overall, while EX600 is currently 9.0 SQ and 8.65 overall. Something to note is TF10's fit may bring its overall ranking down, since I do not recall anyone who liked TF10's fit very much.

Quote:
Posted 3/27/12 at 12:55am
Quote:
thanks for the tip. i have another one, sorry. how would you rate the ultimate ears triple fi 10? which ones would it be at par with?

I think the TF10 is about on-par with the other triple-drivers of its time period - SE530, W3, UM3X, etc

W3 and UM3X are both currently 9.1 SQ and 8.95 overall, while SE530 is currently 8.9 SQ and 8.95 overall. Again expect the TF10's fit to bring its ranking down...

Quote:
Posted 12/29/11 at 8:30am
Quote:
I'm still quite eager to know where the TF10 stands... the remainder can wait.
redface.gif

I lied about getting it done by the end of the year
tongue.gif
. I thought I'd be done with all of the other sets but some reviews (e.g. Clarity One, ACS T15) have taken a tremendously long time to reach a satisfactory level of thoroughness.

You lied
frown.gif

Quote:
Posted 1/29/11 at 1:01pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc
I propose, (if you've gotten the pair you loaned out back), that the TF10s be bumped to the top of the queue!

Sorry, for now the JVC HA-FX700 has been moved to the top of the queue, since I have to give it back to its owner, as well as the Meelec SP51 and CC51 since I figured people may want to read about them while they're still on pre-order pricing. After that a few minor ones and then the TF10,

This was posted on my birthday, which gave me some hope...but it's been way over a year since this was posted. I guess there's really quite a few minor ones...

Quote:
Posted 8/19/10 at 2:50am
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk1281
Congratulations on hitting 100! I'm in awe at how you've managed to average 20 IEM reviews a month for the five months this thread has been existence. Truly remarkable!

I'm certainly looking forward to the next 100. In the near-term, your plan to review what is essentially the rest of the Ultimate Ears universal IEM lineup seems to be the most interesting. I'm sure many have been pestering begging you to post your thoughts on the TripleFi.
tongue.gif

Well, as much as I'd like to claim the superhuman ability to review 20 IEMs per month for five months running, I have to admit that this thread was created because my old thread ran into the old head-fi's post content limits. The original multi-iem review was started in November so it's more like 10 months in total
smile_phones.gif

And you're right - the TF10 is easily my most-postponed earphone. I've had it since I started the original thread so I've essentially been putting off its write-up for 10 months. But to review the rest of UE's lineup and skip the TF10 would be a crime (and probably one not so easily forgiven by all of you guys at that) so I'm bound to get it done now.

This thread started on March 19th, 2010...so, you have postponed TF10 for two and a half years now. If skipping TF10 is a crime, you are getting pretty close...

Quote:
Posted 11/9/11 at 2:43pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by esanthosh

Checks in every week, continues waiting for TF10 review
rolleyes.gif

Dream on
tongue.gif

Made me cry T-T 

Quote:
Posted 11/15/10 at 11:03am
Quote:
Originally Posted by izaku
Wow, 3 IEM reviews in the row.
Now you mentioned more about SM3 and TF10.
Hopefully you are able to write the comparison in near future :)

headfiers must thank for your effort as usual. Many decisions are made from this review.

Thanks. I've been working on the SM3 but very slowly since it's a complex sound signature and also because I have other reviews that have deadlines on them. The TF10 has already been delayed for a while since it's mine and I don't feel any pressure to finish it (plus I don't like the fit at all). I'll get them done eventually.

Still no pressure? there's at least 100 posts to kindly remind you to review TF10s :frowning2:

Quote:
3/31/11 at 8:23pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx20001
what an awesome collection of reviews! would be great to see the se535 in there and triple fi 10. the IE8 value should be updated because its miles cheaper than anything else in its firing line here in the UK. se535 RRP £370, IE8 RRP £170 screams great value. shame its more expensive over the pond. brilliant work keep it up!

Thanks. The TF10 is on the to-do list (and has been for longer than I care to admit).

Yes, much longer than anyone would have predicted.

Quote:
Posted 1/29/11 at 10:03pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZV3

I am wondering when the TF10 review is coming also. Not sure what is taking so long, the TF 10 is one of the older IEM's and tons of people are waiting for the review, but I keep seeing reviews for the newer earphones, which is a little strange. Not sure what the hold-up is, I would love to know what joker thinks about them.
It's really quite simple - I've owned the TF10 for a long time - almost as long as my CK10 - and have been planning its review this whole time. However, it takes a backseat to most of the other sets I review since

1. It is not on a clock. When I borrow sets from people or get manufacturer review samples, I automatically put a reasonable deadline on their review. Whenever that happens, everything that is non-essential gets pushed back. Right now five of the earphones in the queue are borrowed pairs and have priority over the TF10.

2. It is old and, thanks to the amazon deals, very common. There's dozens of impressions of the TF10 in the long appreciation thread and posts comparing it to nearly everything else out there. In contrast to that, there is one (AFAIK) review of the ECCI PR401 and none of the Mee A151, so I felt that my time was better spent on those.

3. I do a lot of my listening on the go - public transport, lunchtime at work, walking around town etc. The TF10 has never fit me well enough to sound its best while I'm moving about, which means that in order to review it I have to find time to sit down and focus on it at home, and again sets such as the (borrowed) FX700 take priority there.

1. It should be on a clock! UE900, the succesor to TF10, already came out...
      2. It is old and common, which makes it more important to have in your review, since many wouldcompare other IEMs to these. Yes, TF10s have alot of review out there but nothing like this.
      3. Do you need a custom molded pair with silver cables like lune/acrete/chris_self? Maybe we can work something out here

Quote:
Posted 4/20/12 at 6:11pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by esanthosh Now that I have proved that I am stalking this thread far too much and for far too long than I care to admit, can I have the TF10 review?
wink.gif

Fine, I'll do it after the FitEar MH334
tongue.gif

Some more hope...but still 6 months have passed since this post T.T

This might seem like an angry post, but really I'm just concerned and a little dissapointed. And sorry if I do sound disrespectful, I mean no harm :|

Thanks for making something wonderful like this. I do appreciate all your hard work.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #8,439 of 16,931
Quote:
Have you heard the Xears XPA2 yet? I'm beginning to think they'd be quite worth even the 150 € RRP, not to mention the 'code' price.

Haven't heard any new Xears in the past year and a half or so. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukaleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This might seem like an angry post, but really I'm just concerned and a little dissapointed. And sorry if I do sound disrespectful, I mean no harm :|

Thanks for making something wonderful like this. I do appreciate all your hard work.

If I had an unlimited amount of free time to dedicate to Head-Fi, I would have covered the TF10 long ago. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #8,441 of 16,931
Added Brainwavz M5

Quote:
(3A73) Brainwavz M5

Added Oct 2012

Details: Brainwavz’ fifth M-series in-ear
Current Price: $40 from amazon.com (MSRP: $49.50); $54.50 for M5 with microphone
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 103 dB | Freq: 16-18k Hz | Cable: 4.3' L-plug
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock (wide channel) single-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (4.5/5) - Single-flange wide channel (3 sizes), single-flange narrow channel (3 sizes), and bi-flange silicone tips, Comply foam tips, shirt clip, and hard clamshell carrying case
Build Quality (4/5) - The M5 features lightweight aluminum shells with metal nozzle filters. The rubbery cabling is a bit thin above the y-split but strain relief is excellent all around and the new L-plug seems very durable
Isolation (3/5) – Isolation is about average for a dynamic-driver earphone and can be increase slightly with the included Comply tips
Microphonics (3.5/5) – Cable noise is bothersome when worn cable-down. Cable-up wear is recommended
Comfort (4/5) – The housings are lightweight and compact, tapering at the rear to provide a compliant, non-intrusive fit. Flexible strain reliefs and cable cinch allow for over-the-ear wear, though this may not be desirable when a mic/remote is present

Sound (7.7/10) – The newest M-series earphone from Brainwavz, the M5 seems to combine some of the best aspects from the M1 and M2 into a competent and coherent audio package. At the core of the sound is ample bass—the low end of the M5 boasts good depth, plenty of impact, and a mild mid-bass focus. Compared to the older M1, M2, and M3, the bass of the M5 is deeper, more powerful, and more dynamic. It is noticeably more detailed and effortless, and even next to the VSonic GR02 Bass Edition the M5 more than holds its own, providing a deeper, more fleshed-out low end. 

Despite the powerful bass, the M5 does a reasonable job of minimizing bass bleed and bloat. Part of the reason is the prominent lower midrange of the M5 – unlike many other bass-heavy earphones the M5 isn't notably mid-recessed. The lower mids are emphasized and the entire midrange is smooth, dropping gradually in forwardness towards the top. The treble takes a small step back and clarity is pretty much the only aspect of the M5 that doesn’t surpass other earphones in its price range. Still, despite its warmer tone, the M5 is about as clear as the older M1 model. Vocal clarity and intelligibility, especially with female vocals, take a hit compared to the M1 and M2 as well as competing sets like the pricier VSonic GR06. Detail levels are better than average, however, with the M5 sounding more refined and realistic than the M2. The top end doesn’t offer up a whole lot of sparkle but extension is good for a warmer earphone. Harshness and sibilance are nonexistent – in fact, the M5 cuts down on sibilance

The presentation is affected by the laid-back treble but offers a substantial improvement over the older Brainwavz models. The M5 isn’t very airy and can get slightly congested on busy tracks but has better layering and sounds much more enveloping than the M1 and M2.  The M2 especially sounds exceedingly flat and two-dimensional next to the M5. The pricier VSonic GR06, on the other hand, despite its more forward midrange, is capable of portraying a wider and more open sonic space.

Value (9.5/10) – The Brainwavz M5 is a well-built, well-accessorized, and comfortable earphone with sound that puts it at the top of its game. Its sonic signature won’t do for those looking to maximize clarity but it is sure to please fans of warmer, smoother sound. Better still, the M5 improves in many ways on the older M1, M2, and ProAlpha models without hiking up the price – an amazing accomplishment considering how far ahead of the competition the original Brainwavz earphones were upon release just a few short years ago.

Pros: Good build quality; deep bass and full, smooth sound
Cons: Average clarity

Quote:
Just want to say thanks to Joker for this amazing thread. It has single-handedly renewed my audiophile interests!

beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #8,442 of 16,931
How do the EPH-100 and the X10i's compare? I'm concerned about problems with the EPH-100, their thread has some people saying one of the drivers fail due to moisture and/or condensation (which would happen quite often here in Norway). They are cheaper though, but lack the inline controls. Forgot to mention I listen to rock and heavy metal most of the time.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #8,443 of 16,931
Those M5 are a very good deal at that price, i am gonna try them out.  Thanks for the Review Joker!!!

Question, i got a FXD80 (and 70, but i know you have not heard the 70's), do you think the Tf10 would be a modert, big, huge or a sidegrade over the 80's? i want a big upgrade from those 80's,  big enough to be blown away.  
normal_smile .gif
   i like bass, but if it sacrifices the mids, highs clarity and detail of the 80's its a big No.

I know that the 80's are not the best in those aspects but i looking for something even better, good enough to been blown away for $200, like just plug them on my ears go like "sweet lord, how didnt i buy these before!!"  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back