Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 16, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #8,401 of 16,931
Quote:
Quote:
The sony hybrids fit the Monoprice just fine. They're a tad small, and it takes a bit of work to get them on, but they fit very snugly.

Thanks for the reply, then I'll probarly be buying the Monoprice 8320 and the Sony hybrids, and if I'm not satisfied with them (probarly comfort wise) I'll buy the CW31 :)
Have you tried the monoprice 8320 with the sony hybrids? Could you comment on how they fit and if they are comfortable? :)

For me? No. I couldn't get the 8320 to fit, period. The left one made my ear feel like it was going to fall off, it hurt so bad. The bodies of the 8320 are huge, absolutely massive. I was able to get the 8320 to fit great a few times, and the sound was truly awesome - but I ended up getting rid of them because they just hurt too much. I ended up going with the VSONICs, even the GR99, which is a bit less analytical and is a bit bassier is a step up from the 8320 in my mind, because I can actually listen to the music, and stop focusing on the pain.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #8,402 of 16,931
Quote:
For me? No. I couldn't get the 8320 to fit, period. The left one made my ear feel like it was going to fall off, it hurt so bad. The bodies of the 8320 are huge, absolutely massive. I was able to get the 8320 to fit great a few times, and the sound was truly awesome - but I ended up getting rid of them because they just hurt too much. I ended up going with the VSONICs, even the GR99, which is a bit less analytical and is a bit bassier is a step up from the 8320 in my mind, because I can actually listen to the music, and stop focusing on the pain.

Thanks alot :)
I understand you, and now I'm not sure about buying them. My main reason in buying new in ears is that my Q350 are uncomfortable, and the second main reason is that the treble is too harsh. I'm not sure I even should invest the money in the monoprice :\ The monoprice with sony hybrids and shipping will cost me about 17$, which is not alot but not really something I want to waste. I'll have to think if I should order these or just go for the CW31.

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #8,403 of 16,931
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks alot :)
I understand you, and now I'm not sure about buying them. My main reason in buying new in ears is that my Q350 are uncomfortable, and the second main reason is that the treble is too harsh. I'm not sure I even should invest the money in the monoprice :\ The monoprice with sony hybrids and shipping will cost me about 17$, which is not alot but not really something I want to waste. I'll have to think if I should order these or just go for the CW31.

By the time you're at $17, you're within 5 of the GR99, and probably more than the SHE3580  (which I have not heard, but I just got a pair for my dad), which get excellent reviews.

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #8,404 of 16,931
Oct 17, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #8,405 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi ljokerl, could you compare the sound of the E-Q5 to the GR07?  Thanks!

Both of these are pretty well-balanced and I thought both were fairly neutral in terms of tone. The GR07 will give you more deep bass and better texturing/microdetail while the e-Q5 will be a touch smoother through the upper midrange and treble. The GR07 also tends to have a wider presentation with not-so-great depth while the e-Q5 is not as wide-sounding but more well-rounded.

Quote:

H hasn't heard the MK2 yet. I'll have to do something about that 
wink.gif

Correct, no idea what the Mk2 sounds like 
redface.gif

Quote:
The sony hybrids fit the Monoprice just fine. They're a tad small, and it takes a bit of work to get them on, but they fit very snugly.

+1

Quote:
Joker, have you seen these?
$100 dynamic hybrids, and $150 BA hybrids, that allegedly rival the ER4 and PFE:
http://cosmicears.com/

Getting great reviews, too:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626714/cosmic-ears-new-ciem-company-with-crazy-low-prices-including-hybrid-designs

I may spring for a pair of the Sport+ in the near future (they're the same as the Pure+, but with a detachable cable).
May wait for new products in November.

The Flex, is fully customizable, and the HY3 is a three driver (one dynamic for the low end) for about $300.

Did I mention those prices include an impression kit?

Never seen them. Prices look very nice indeed.

Quote:

Ha, funny to see these mentioned here. This review was re-posted on Head-Fi but the thread was deleted because the OP couldn't take any criticism. 

I'll say here what I said there - these really look like they are OEM'd by Dunu (or the parent company, Topsound) and most likely contain Knowles SR (Siren) drivers - same as Dunu Ares and Crius. As far as I know the SR is the only BA with a 6mm diameter. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #8,408 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker, I'm looking for a new set which isolate A LOT. I'm currently using Ety HF5 but I don't find them comfortable.
confused_face.gif

Any alternative to Shure SE215? I'm also tempted by a pair of custom Cosmic ears.
Thanks a lot 

Try foam Ety tips? That or customs tips would be a well-isolating solution. All of the Shures isolate well, as does the Klipsch Image X10 and Yamaha EPH-100. You would probably have to figure what exactly makes the Etys uncomfortable before you risk another universal, though.  

Quote:
Hi joker, please compare soundmagic e10 and dunu trident? Don't include other iem. Thanks

The E10 is a little more balanced/a touch brighter while the Trident is warmer and bassier. The two really aren't very far apart IMO - the biggest difference is probably the presentation with the E10 sounding bigger and more out-of-the-head. Also, if you listen at high volumes go with the Trident - it's stays undistorted longer.

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #8,409 of 16,931
joker How does the AKG K3003i compare to JVC FX 700?
I so like the sound signature for JVC FX700 though. I also like the base quantity and treble extension and quantity.

Basically I'm looking for a universal IEM that is similar to JVC FX 700, but more 3D, separation and isolation. I'm not sure if there is such item.
Thanks

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #8,411 of 16,931
Quote:

Try foam Ety tips? That or customs tips would be a well-isolating solution. All of the Shures isolate well, as does the Klipsch Image X10 and Yamaha EPH-100. You would probably have to figure what exactly makes the Etys uncomfortable before you risk another universal, though.  

The E10 is a little more balanced/a touch brighter while the Trident is warmer and bassier. The two really aren't very far apart IMO - the biggest difference is probably the presentation with the E10 sounding bigger and more out-of-the-head. Also, if you listen at high volumes go with the Trident - it's stays undistorted longer.

mind to explain that ?

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #8,412 of 16,931
Quote:
joker How does the AKG K3003i compare to JVC FX 700?
I so like the sound signature for JVC FX700 though. I also like the base quantity and treble extension and quantity.

Basically I'm looking for a universal IEM that is similar to JVC FX 700, but more 3D, separation and isolation. I'm not sure if there is such item.
Thanks

Unfortunately I don't have the FX700 anymore and never got the chance to compare it directly to the K3003i. From memory I would say the K3003i does have a similar signature (powerful, dynamic bass with sparkly and prominent - yet pretty smooth - treble) and a presentation with more depth and better layering. However, I can't be more precise without comparing them head to head. The only other high-end earphone I've heard that reminds me of the FX700 is the UM Miracle but it has a flatter signature with less bass power and less prominent treble, so it may not be as good a match for you as the K3003.

Quote:
ljokerl, I have been reading plenty of reviews of CIEMs such as the Unique Melody Miracle. In your opinion, which universal IEM <$500 sound most similar to it? Thanks!

Probably the JVC FX700 at low volumes (when it sounds flattest). At higher volumes the FX700 gets increasingly v-shaped in my experience. I remember reading that this has to do with the greater sensitivity of the ear in the midrange (i.e. even at low volumes midrange sounds are easy to discern than those towards the extreme of the frequency spectrum). See also equal loudness contours. 

Quote:
mind to explain that ?

It's another way of saying the E10 has a larger headstage, i.e. how much of the perceived space within your head (or outside of it) the presentation is capable of covering. Had to dig up this thread as it has a much better explanation: http://www.head-fi.org/t/40313/stax-sr-007-omega-ii-a-review-after-4-years-of-ownership (just ctrl+f for 'headstage')

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #8,413 of 16,931
Added Thinksound MS01

Quote:
(2C53) Thinksound MS01

Details: Eco-friendly IEM from Thinksound
Current Price: $100 from amazon.com (MSRP: $119.99)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 96 dB | Freq: 18-20k Hz | Cable: 4.2’ I-plug
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock single flanges, Comply T400
Wear Style: Over-the-ear or straight down

Accessories (3.5/5) – Single-flange silicone tips (4 sizes), shirt clip, cotton carrying pouch, and over-the-ear cable guides
Build Quality (4/5) – The MS01 is similar in both construction and appearance to the other Thinksound models. The housings are made out of wood and aluminum and the rubbery cable features long strain reliefs and a beefy 3.5mm plug. The cable lacks a cinch but other than that attention to detail is excellent
Isolation (3.5/5) – Respectable for a dynamic-driver earphone
Microphonics (4/5) – Low in the PVC-free cable
Comfort (4/5) – The MS01 uses a slim, elongated housing to allow for a deeper, more comfortable insertion. The housings are lightweight and the earphones are very comfortable when worn. The included cable guides eliminate cable noise and can provide a more secure fit, though I personally don’t need them to wear the MS01 cable-up

Sound (8/10) – The MS01 is the first earphone from Thinksound’s Monitor Series, said to be designed for pros and discerning listeners. Make no mistake, however—the MS01 still follows Thinksound’s usual signature, offering enhanced bass with clean, engaging mids and highs, only in a slightly more tempered proportion. At the core is ample bass boasting good extension and plentiful impact. The 8mm drivers move plenty of air – the low end of the MS01 is hard-hitting and visceral, outpacing those of the Brainwavz M5 and VSonic GR02 Bass Edition. Despite this, the bass is not too boomy and bass bleed up into the midrange is mild, resulting in a sound that is warm but not bloated.

The midrange of the MS01 retains good clarity and detail. The mids are not as thick and lush as may be expected considering the powerful bass but the MS01 is not as thin-sounding as an RE-ZERO or Sunrise Xcited, either. The midrange is reasonably smooth and not overly recessed – less so, for example, than that of the HiSound Wooduo 2. In typical Thinksound fashion, the treble carries a bit of emphasis for a mildly v-shaped overall sound. Top-end extension isn’t great but otherwise the MS01 is crisp and pleasant, though not well-suited for those who prefer a laid-back treble presentation.

The MS01 also presents a coherent sonic image – the mildly v-shaped sound gives it a reasonably open and airy feel, though more emphasis on upper treble and better extension would help. In addition to above-average width, the soundstage has decent depth and layering. Admittedly the soundstage of the MS01 is less 3-dimensional than that of the VSonic GR06 but the overall presentation is impressive and more to my liking than the flatter soundstage of the pricier HiSound Wooduo 2.

Value (8.5/10) – Thinksound’s formula has always been beautiful in its simplicity – combine one part enhanced bass with one part clarity, add stylish, well-crafted housings made from renewable materials, and package it all with great attention to detail. The MS01 doesn’t stray far from its predecessors – it’s not a monitoring earphone as the name seems to imply, but it delivers great sound and retains the upmarket look and feel of the other Thinksound models. As far as I’m concerned the sonic refinement alone is well worth the price hike over the older TS02.

Pros: “Green” construction; aesthetically pleasing; plentiful bass & good all-round performance
Cons: No cable cinch

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #8,414 of 16,931

Which of them do you recommend is best?

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #8,415 of 16,931
Unfortunately I don't have the FX700 anymore and never got the chance to compare it directly to the K3003i. From memory I would say the K3003i does have a similar signature (powerful, dynamic bass with sparkly and prominent - yet pretty smooth - treble) and a presentation with more depth and better layering. However, I can't be more precise without comparing them head to head. The only other high-end earphone I've heard that reminds me of the FX700 is the UM Miracle but it has a flatter signature with less bass power and less prominent treble, so it may not be as good a match for you as the K3003i

I have both and agree with that, but might add that the K3003's upper bass is less pronounced, which makes its bass overall more even and the midrange less recessed than the FX700's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back