Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #6,841 of 16,931
Quote:
Ok joker, I just bought M1 on mp4nation for 29 bucks :) 

thanks for your excellent reviews by the way. 

Thanks, glad they've been helpful.

Quote:
I'm stuck between 2 IEM's now. The Shure Se215 and the Westone 1. I don't know which one to choose from :L

If you want more bass emphasis go for the SE215 and if you want more midrange emphasis go for the W1.

Quote:
How about reducing the treble just a wee bit but retaining the forwardness and airiness? Anything that fits that? How does the EX1000s compare to the DBAs?  I know theyre a little 'soft' and 'mellow'...

I wouldn't recommend the EX1000 either. The mkII might indeed be an option but you're only looking at incremental changes there. The VSonic GR01 differs more but you give up a little of that forwardness and transparency. 

May 5, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #6,842 of 16,931
-joker

i'm going for the Mk2, BUT my only worry is the cable AND the lack of cable cinch. the Eterna's cable wasnt that friendly but the cinch really helped as well as the memory effect, and i didnt (and coulndt) use the earguides, and i guess i wont use them with the mk2 too.

is it really THAT bad?? 
blink.gif

for the Eterna price i cant complain, but for the mk2 price i expect something better and easier to use

thank you

May 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #6,844 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker: I love my DBAs, they just have that fantastic treble and highs and airyness that puts even my FXT-90s to shame.  I love how the mids are just wonderfully in the middle, not forward nor recessed and their soundstage is perfect. I guess I really am a treblehead:) The FXT-90s just sound muddy and conjested to me, although I've seen so many positive reviews about it, from you, clieos, the appreciation thread and even i2ehan just rated the SQ 4/5, but the DBAs absolutely thrash them for me. Im looking to upgrade the DBAs( if its even possible). Are there any clear upgrades from them ( airy, forward and aggressive treble, detalied, mids , extremely fast bass, extended highs like them )? Or should I just reshell them? How do the re272s scale compared to them. Not interested in ER4s. Thanks!

If you don't mind their outrageous price tag, you might wanna try the FI-BA-SS. I don't claim that they're better than the DBAs (which I haven't heard), but I prefer them to the Brainwavz B2 and CK10. PM me if you're in the US and want to hear them.

May 5, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #6,845 of 16,931
Quote:
-joker

i'm going for the Mk2, BUT my only worry is the cable AND the lack of cable cinch. the Eterna's cable wasnt that friendly but the cinch really helped as well as the memory effect, and i didnt (and coulndt) use the earguides, and i guess i wont use them with the mk2 too.

is it really THAT bad?? 
blink.gif

for the Eterna price i cant complain, but for the mk2 price i expect something better and easier to use

thank you

That's something you really have to decide for yourself. I don't mind the lack of a cinch too much but I know some people who end up adding a DIY one to any earphone that hasn't got one stock. I can wear the DBA-02 over-the-ear fine without the cinch but would definitely prefer one. Same goes for my VSonic GR01 and GR06.

May 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #6,846 of 16,931
Quote:
That's something you really have to decide for yourself. I don't mind the lack of a cinch too much but I know some people who end up adding a DIY one to any earphone that hasn't got one stock. I can wear the DBA-02 over-the-ear fine without the cinch but would definitely prefer one. Same goes for my VSonic GR01 and GR06.

that seems to be the best option. even for those earphone that has one
any ideas are welcome 
atsmile.gif

May 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #6,847 of 16,931
Quote:

If you don't mind their outrageous price tag, you might wanna try the FI-BA-SS. I don't claim that they're better than the DBAs (which I haven't heard), but I prefer them to the Brainwavz B2 and CK10. PM me if you're in the US and want to hear them.

I think they are better than the CK10 and DBA-02 but they are so damn revealing :p

May 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #6,848 of 16,931

The W1 is actually pretty compact. Probably about the same as A151 in terms of volume but a little skinnier and definitely easier to sleep/lie down in. The bass is good - maybe a tad less impactful than A151 but still punchier than PL50. IMO they shine with female vocals.

*this post is about a year ago ! *

do you still hold on that opinion? 
if i'm not wrong the SBA-03 uses the same driver, but even if not the case, can they match or beat the W1 on that matter?

May 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #6,850 of 16,931
Quote:

Thanks, glad they've been helpful.

If you want more bass emphasis go for the SE215 and if you want more midrange emphasis go for the W1.

I wouldn't recommend the EX1000 either. The mkII might indeed be an option but you're only looking at incremental changes there. The VSonic GR01 differs more but you give up a little of that forwardness and transparency. 

I see, in that case, I'l probably hunt around for a CK10 or reshell them. By the way, why wouldnt you recommend the EX1000?
Quote:

Oh but I do mind
etysmile.gif
. Anyway Im not in the US. If you dont mind, James, can you kindly chime in on a short comparison between the EX1000s and the B2s?

May 6, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #6,851 of 16,931
Quote:

if i'm not wrong the SBA-03 uses the same driver, but even if not the case, can they match or beat the W1 on that matter?

I haven't heard the W1 since. They may use the same driver but the tuning is nothing alike. I remember the W1 being mid-centric with roll-off below 60hz and up top. The SBA-03, on the other hand, actually reproduces deep bass and has excellent bass-midrange balance. It is also on the whole a forward, aggressive earphone with very crisp note presentation while the W1 is pretty laid-back and a little smoothed-over (as if there was an acoustic filter added to the SBA-03). For female vocals you may actually want the W1 sound - that way nothing gets in the way - but for accuracy the SBA-03 is definitely superior. 

Quote:

I was wondering if you had any opinion about Nocs se? Particularly  Nocs NS400. 

Nope, never heard them.

Quote:
I see, in that case, I'l probably hunt around for a CK10 or reshell them. By the way, why wouldnt you recommend the EX1000? 

For the reason Inks stated. The EX1000 is many things but an overall reduction in treble it is not.

May 6, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #6,852 of 16,931
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't heard the W1 since. They may use the same driver but the tuning is nothing alike. I remember the W1 being mid-centric with roll-off below 60hz and up top. The SBA-03, on the other hand, actually reproduces deep bass and has excellent bass-midrange balance. It is also on the whole a forward, aggressive earphone with very crisp note presentation while the W1 is pretty laid-back and a little smoothed-over (as if there was an acoustic filter added to the SBA-03). For female vocals you may actually want the W1 sound - that way nothing gets in the way - but for accuracy the SBA-03 is definitely superior. 

beerchug.gif
 thank you

May 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #6,853 of 16,931
Quote:
If you dont mind, James, can you kindly chime in on a short comparison between the EX1000s and the B2s?

Take this with a grain of salt, it's more than a year since I last heard my EX1000, plus I've only had the B2s for a short time (though I had the CK10 for longer). Very different beasts imo, the B2s are forward and aggressive, the EX1000 more relaxed and smooth. Please note that I'm not sensitive to the Sony's treble peak that Inks mentioned. On the other hand, I take offense at a certain spike on the B2s and CK10, which make them sound slightly metallic to my ear. The B2's bass is extremely fast and precise, but shows little texture in comparison to the EX1000's. Another big difference in my book is authority. The EX1000 aren't bassy IEMs, but they can effortlessly sound "big" if the music calls for. No offense to all you CK10/B2/DBA fans out there, but I just can't listen to a Mahler symphony with these. I'll gladly take them over the EX1000 though, for any kind of electronic or trance music and probably hard rock and metal too, if I'd listen more to the latter genres. As Inks said, big difference in isolation too, the EX1000 sound extremely open, which makes their presentation spacious but positioning less precise, the B2s sound more closed in but with more accurate imaging.

Overall I'd say, if you want to have two reasonably balanced IEMs that are nothing like each other, it doesn't get much more different than the B2s and EX1000.

May 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #6,854 of 16,931
The only true upgrades I'd consider (that I've heard) over the DBA/B2 are the FI-BA-SS or the UERM.  Until you're ready to make that jump just enjoy what you have in the DBA/B2s.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back