Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 4, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #6,826 of 16,931
hey guys, i've bought the Xears Bullet XB120Pro a few months ago because i've read the review in this thread and they were cheap. But unfortunately the left earbud broke today.
So this time i want to buy earphones that have a better build quality. Which one could you recommend? My budget is around 40€/$50. I'd like for them to be a Y-cord this time and not J-cord. thanks.

May 4, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #6,827 of 16,931
Quote:
hey guys, i've bought the Xears Bullet XB120Pro a few months ago because i've read the review in this thread and they were cheap. But unfortunately the left earbud broke today.
So this time i want to buy earphones that have a better build quality. Which one could you recommend? My budget is around 40€/$50. I'd like for them to be a Y-cord this time and not J-cord. thanks.

Why not check with Xears regarding to the warranty?
You may be able to get a replacement set.

May 4, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #6,828 of 16,931
Quote:
Why not check with Xears regarding to the warranty?
You may be able to get a replacement set.

Thanks for the suggestion but i'm not sure if it's worth it. I got them heavily underpriced and i didn't really like them to be honest.
I'll consider getting them replaced but please suggest other ones if the warranty doesn't work out. thank you

May 4, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #6,829 of 16,931
New info of the Sennheiser IE800 has been revealed:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/sennheiser-electronic-gmbh-co-kg/in-ear-deluxe-the-new-ie-800-high-end-headphones-from-sennheiser/427920507237500

Frequency: 5 - 46,500 Hz

"The IE 800 not only boasts innovative technology but also features a modern design and high-quality materials such as the scratch-resistant ceramic housing. Its puristic design language and black/silver finish give it that certain extra. The high-end earphones were developed and designed at Sennheiser's headquarters in Germany. And the new in-ear earphones will be produced here too."

"The interior of the IE 800 conceals many small but effective innovations: the centrepiece is Sennheiser’s specially developed Extra Wide Band (XWB) driver. With a diameter of just 7 mm, it is the smallest wide-band sound transducer currently available in dynamic headphones."

"With the IE 800, Sennheiser has succeeded for the first time in solving what is known as the ‘masking effect’. This effect, which has a negative influence on overall sound quality, is due to the way in which our ears work. “The human ear is unable to perceive low-volume frequency components of a sound if there are much louder sounds occurring in a lower frequency range at the same time,"

"The optimum sound properties of the IE 800 are further enhanced by excellent wearing comfort. The housing is made of scratch-resistant, skin-friendly ceramic, while the ear pads consist of skin friendly silicone. This rules out any risk of allergies or skin irritation. To guarantee a perfect fit, Sennheiser has developed new ear adapters with an oval shape based on extensive international studies in ergonomics. According to their personal preference, users can choose from a selection of oval (SM/ML) and round (S/M/L) adapters. A protective mesh on the ear cushions effectively protects the drivers against dirt contamination."

"This means, for example, that very loud low-frequency sounds will ‘mask’ very quiet sounds in the medium frequency range. This is particularly apparent in in-ear headphones. The sealing of the ear canal by the earphones normally causes resonances that result in a peak in the 7kHz to 8kHz range. This has the effect of masking the actual higher-frequency components. Precisely this problem has been overcome in the IE 800 by the use of an absorber. Sennheiser’s patented dual-chamber system absorbs the energy of the resonance, thus preventing any unwanted peaks. As a result, all frequency components – even the finest nuances – in the music material become audible."

May 4, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #6,830 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker: I love my DBAs, they just have that fantastic treble and highs and airyness that puts even my FXT-90s to shame.  I love how the mids are just wonderfully in the middle, not forward nor recessed and their soundstage is perfect. I guess I really am a treblehead:) The FXT-90s just sound muddy and conjested to me, although I've seen so many positive reviews about it, from you, clieos, the appreciation thread and even i2ehan just rated the SQ 4/5, but the DBAs absolutely thrash them for me. Im looking to upgrade the DBAs( if its even possible). Are there any clear upgrades from them ( airy, forward and aggressive treble, detalied, mids , extremely fast bass, extended highs like them )? Or should I just reshell them? How do the re272s scale compared to them. Not interested in ER4s. Thanks!

I don't think there are direct upgrades from the DBA-02 - at that level you'll usually be sacrificing  something - and sometimes a whole lot of something - when moving to another model (as you've learned with the FXT90). The j-Phonic K2 SP comes to mind as one option but I don't think you can even buy it outside of Japan these days. The RE272 is a more laid-back sound compared to the DBA-02 - it is definitely airy, extended, and detailed but if you like the forwardness or the punchiness of the DBA-02 you may miss both with the HiFiMan. Getting them re-shelled or looking at higher-tier customs might be an option. The only one I have that reminds me of the DBA-02 is the ClearTunes CTM-200 but it is again not as forward as the DBAs. I'm sure average_joe or someone else with more customs experience could recommend some other good matches for the DBA sound.

Quote:

Depends on the sound you want but some decent options might be the Dunu Trident, VSonic GR99, or Brainwavz ProAlpha.

May 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #6,834 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey man thanks, i just wanted to tell you that i really like your reviews and keep it up.
I just found that shop called MP4nation, do you know by chance if they can be trusted?

Yes, I've purchased from them a number of times. As GigaFi said Brainwavz is their in-house brand and they've been an official retailer for Fiio and Soundmagic products for as long as I can remember.

Quote:
Hello 

I want to buy some good IEM for 30-40$ with great isolation (mostly for indie/rock music) 

I read that Brainwavz M1 has good reviews for the money. 

Should I go with these? 

Sure, the M1 has a nicely balanced sound and is one of the strongest overall performers in its price range. I wouldn't call its isolation great but it's close to the better sets you'll find in that price range. The Dunu Trident comes to mind as something that isolates a bit more.

May 5, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #6,836 of 16,931
the main trouble with e30 is it lacks treble badly , at least what i felt , bass is good , mid takes 60% of the music . bass is 25-30% and high is 15-10 %  . cant say about e10 , but dont go for image s4 , inspite go for image s3 if kipsch is your liking , or try others , id spark as amitl went for is better then any sound magic in over all quality ( exclude the pl50 ) . or try as i said cc51 and a151 . there is a big difference between a $ 30-40 iem and $100 iem , but dont take the se-215 , its not that awesome when stacked against the re-zero , or sw-xcape , or the m4 , just go for vsonic gr06 its awesome for the price $65 . better then the se-215 .

Thanks for the suggestions. Still a lot of suggestions but narrows it down to 4-5 IEMs. I couldn't find the Vsonic GR06 anywhere besides ebay. Where do you guys suggest I get this? I need it shipped to Canada.
Another one I'm considering is the ID Spark.

May 5, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #6,837 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Still a lot of suggestions but narrows it down to 4-5 IEMs. I couldn't find the Vsonic GR06 anywhere besides ebay. Where do you guys suggest I get this? I need it shipped to Canada.
Another one I'm considering is the ID Spark.

The only other place I can think of that sells the GR06 apart from eBay is either LendMeURears or Frogbeats (although Frogbeats is out of stock).

May 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #6,839 of 16,931
Quote:

I don't think there are direct upgrades from the DBA-02 - at that level you'll usually be sacrificing  something - and sometimes a whole lot of something - when moving to another model (as you've learned with the FXT90). The j-Phonic K2 SP comes to mind as one option but I don't think you can even buy it outside of Japan these days. The RE272 is a more laid-back sound compared to the DBA-02 - it is definitely airy, extended, and detailed but if you like the forwardness or the punchiness of the DBA-02 you may miss both with the HiFiMan. Getting them re-shelled or looking at higher-tier customs might be an option. The only one I have that reminds me of the DBA-02 is the ClearTunes CTM-200 but it is again not as forward as the DBAs. I'm sure average_joe or someone else with more customs experience could recommend some other good matches for the DBA sound.

Depends on the sound you want but some decent options might be the Dunu Trident, VSonic GR99, or Brainwavz ProAlpha.

How about reducing the treble just a wee bit but retaining the forwardness and airiness? Anything that fits that? How does the EX1000s compare to the DBAs?  I know theyre a little 'soft' and 'mellow'...

May 5, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #6,840 of 16,931
DBA MKII perhaps, fit and comfort should be an improvement there as well. 

If the CK10 is anything to go by the EX1000 does have a smoother higher treble but it's lower treble peak can make them sound sharper. EX1000 will also not be nearly as good for commuting. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back