Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 2, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #6,796 of 16,931
Quote:
I think as with the first PFEs it depends on the filters. The gray filters have the best detail and resolution but overstep the sibilance/brightness line for me here and there. They remind me of the K3003 with the +treble filters, which do (almost) the same thing. 

Oh totally agree!
The grey filters have the best detail and mids...but at times feel a little too sibilant and bright.
That said, I try to tone it down with some Comply tips, and it becomes very much enjoyable.
Using the P series complys on them at the moment.

And remind u of the k3003's? This should be fun and entertaining.
I can't really justify the £400 price tag, but don't even want to make any comments about that £1k price tag...
Value 4/10? lol

May 2, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #6,797 of 16,931
Great thread, joker. Really nice reviews with pricing and rankings.

Looking forward to your in progress reviews of the UE's older line of IEM's.

I've had UE Superfi5 pros for a long time, maybe 4-5yrs+. And they were my first step into the hi-fi world. Bought them for about $160 back then, and really enjoyed them.

Fast forward to present day, and the Triplefi10's are now about the same price. After my puppy completely shattered my 5's, I quickly bought a new, but affordable replacement, some full sized ATH-M50. Though I enjoy the full, closed, and bassy sound, I do miss the portability of my UE's.

I'm hoping to put together a cost efficient but still great sounding portable rig in the future, and I would really like to know how the superfi5's and the TF10's stack up to today's newer IEMs. Especially since the TF10's price went from $400 to $180.

May 3, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #6,799 of 16,931
Quote:
Oh totally agree!
The grey filters have the best detail and mids...but at times feel a little too sibilant and bright.
That said, I try to tone it down with some Comply tips, and it becomes very much enjoyable.
Using the P series complys on them at the moment.

And remind u of the k3003's? This should be fun and entertaining.
I can't really justify the £400 price tag, but don't even want to make any comments about that £1k price tag...
Value 4/10? lol

Giving an extremely low value score to a product like that doesn't really serve any purpose in my mind, and I know that's pretty much word for word what I said back when I started evaluating $200+ IEMs - how times have changed. It's pretty obvious that these types of products are blisteringly expensive but as far as I'm concerned a very low value score implies that even those who have the money are better off buying something else. Like the Fitear MH334 and several FADs these AKGs are a niche product pretty much in a class of their own and I don't see why those who can afford them shouldn't get them. From a numbers perspective, the FAD FI-BA-SS got a value score of 7 or so and the AKGs are much more versatile 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Great thread, joker. Really nice reviews with pricing and rankings.

Looking forward to your in progress reviews of the UE's older line of IEM's.

I've had UE Superfi5 pros for a long time, maybe 4-5yrs+. And they were my first step into the hi-fi world. Bought them for about $160 back then, and really enjoyed them.

Fast forward to present day, and the Triplefi10's are now about the same price. After my puppy completely shattered my 5's, I quickly bought a new, but affordable replacement, some full sized ATH-M50. Though I enjoy the full, closed, and bassy sound, I do miss the portability of my UE's.

I'm hoping to put together a cost efficient but still great sounding portable rig in the future, and I would really like to know how the superfi5's and the TF10's stack up to today's newer IEMs. Especially since the TF10's price went from $400 to $180.

Thanks.

I really don't think the price drop on the TF10 in the past two years has been accidental as it has kept them more or less competitive with modern sets. High bang/buck dynamics such as the VSonic GR07, Yamaha EPH-100, JVC FXT90 / FX500, and others easily put the TF10s to shame at MSRP.

May 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #6,802 of 16,931
hi Joker!
i went on to order the id America Spark after reading a couple of good
reviews and your review on them...and then i stumble upon this
review from gadgetsteria.com which says:

"Like many earphones (and headphones in general), the Sparks are built to favor the low end. For music such s rap, hip/hop, dub step, electronic, etc, the Sparks were adequate in bass quantity. Quality, however, was lacking. Even on that music any high end frequencies were heavily suppressed. Add to that a narrow sound stage and you’ve got a pretty poor listening experience.
Venturing out to other types of music was even more disappointing. Running through Dave Matthews Band’s “Ku Krux King” as well as a couple of songs by “The Black Ghosts” was lifeless, muffled, and overall just terrible sounding. If we could come up with an easy way to describe it, we’d say it’s similar to going to a concert and putting your hands tightly over your ears. When you do that, you’ll notice that the highs and upper mid-range frequencies suffer the most. That’s what it was like with the Sparks.
We could go on about sound quality based on a per-artist basis, but really there’s no point."

how could this be? is the audio quality of an earphone THAT much of a subjective matter?
the reviewer says he recommends the Vibrato Remix instead of the Spark...he also says
he would think it is better to add 30$ and go for the shure 215... what do you think joker?
thank you very much !!

May 3, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #6,803 of 16,931
Quote:

It's not going to be more isolating if you're wearing it with a shallow seal. The only real reservation I have about Xears products is long-term durability. Otherwise the TD4 should be a great option.

Hi ljokerl, thanks for the Spark recommendation, my friend is very happy with it - he says it sounds better than any other earphones he's had, and since he recently lost a pair of Image X10s, I can only assume that he's getting a proper seal for the first time, since he hates earphones that go far in his ear.  Very much appreciated!

May 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #6,804 of 16,931
Quote:
how could this be? is the audio quality of an earphone THAT much of a subjective matter?
the reviewer says he recommends the Vibrato Remix instead of the Spark...he also says
he would think it is better to add 30$ and go for the shure 215... what do you think joker?
thank you very much !!

Sorry, I don't comment on others' reviews. The Spark is by no means a Hi-Fi listening experience but it's fun and not terribly flawed (especially for the price). You can always just try them and find out for yourself.

Quote:

Hi ljokerl, thanks for the Spark recommendation, my friend is very happy with it - he says it sounds better than any other earphones he's had, and since he recently lost a pair of Image X10s, I can only assume that he's getting a proper seal for the first time, since he hates earphones that go far in his ear.  Very much appreciated!

Yes, sounds like a seal issue with the X10s. Glad he's enjoying the Sparks!

May 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #6,805 of 16,931
Joker...im just so confused...you said the Spark is by no means a Hi-Fi
stereo headphone...so my question is :
is the Klipsch S4 more of a Hi-Fi earphone?
and what about the Visang r03?
thank you !!!

May 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #6,806 of 16,931
nope the image s4 is not hi-fi , its too much colored and bass heavy , vsing r03 is better but will not say them to be hifi too , for me hi-fi starts at cc51 and se215 . if you are not behind bass consider a151 and if you are behind bass then go for ue400/500 , if budget allows go for cc51 , the first look may not impress you , but after putting then nicely inside your ears you will love them .
you should think about these three :- a151 , vsing r03 , and cc51 . if these are available there .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back