Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #6,781 of 16,931

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. What about the thinksound ts02? Forgot to include them in my original list.

Price cap is around $100. The Spark sounds like it might be a good upgrade given the similar sound signature to the S4.

I haven't heard the Thinksounds in a while but I am pretty sure they aren't worth the price jump from the Spark except for the whole eco angle. The Spark also has the advantage of looking like a more expensive product with its big box and machined aluminum shells. The only real concern I have with the Spark is that it's not exactly an upgrade from the S4 in comfort or cable noise (both are a bit worse when worn cable-down).

Quote:
I think I'll wait for a T15 vs PFE-121 comparo. And any worthy dynamic driver with same sound sig?

Not the same sig but the VSonic GR07 and HiFiMan RE272 can probably be considered variations on the 'neutral and balanced' theme with some minor caveats.

Quote:
Is it just me or the Kanen KM-948 isn't sold anymore? (I'm searching for a cheap earphone with good isolation and tolerable sound)

Entirely possible, I think some of the stores I used to buy these from don't even exist anymore. If you can spend $10-15 the Philips SHE3580 isolates pretty well (3-3.5 on the scale on the front page) and sounds excellent.

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. I have narrowed down to the e-Q5, GR-07 and am looking at the Yamaha EPH-100. I don't really like the shape of the dual flange tips though. How do these 3 compare to each other?

I don't have the FX-700 now, but if I have it I might think that it's slightly bassy. And I do have the Ety HF5, which have slightly less bass quantity than what I consider as natural sounding. I am also looking at the RE-272, but I am just worried about the cable hardening issue on some of the Hifiman earphones.

I really would not recommend the GR07 if you're worried about treble fatigue.

The e-Q5 is overall brighter than the EPH-100 and generally sounds wider and more airy. The EPH-100 has significantly more bass and a bit less treble. e-Q5 bass quantity is still bigger than that of the HF5 but not by a large chunk.

The only real issue I have with the RE272 - and I say this as a fan of Etys and TWFK-based earphones that many consider bass-light - is that the bass ends up too far back in the mix. 

May 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #6,782 of 16,931
Thanks ljoker. At the price of about $280 (right now $248 on musicaacoustics), the e-Q5 don't look that enticing to me. 

But if I buy through Amazon Jp, and use Tenso to forward it to me, the total comes down to less than $200. At that price it becomes much more attractive. I think I can make compromise with whatever possible shortcomings that the e-Q5 might have. I realized while I am on-the-go, there is always environmental noise and I don't need the best SQ.

I know from first look that the tips of the Yamaha will give me problems, and nowadays I am not too into experimenting with swapping tips on iems.

May 1, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #6,784 of 16,931
Well, fate brought me FXT90 instead...
I found a cheap slightly used pair of FXT90 and decided to purchase it...

Timbre is very very good.... Guitar is really amazing on these.... 

Guitars better than on gr07?

May 1, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #6,787 of 16,931

Quote:
Guitars better than on gr07?

IMO, yes, instruments sounds better on the FXT90... perhaps because of the thicker note presentation and/or longer decay....

Also, for those wondering, there is a little driver flex... nothing serious though...

May 1, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #6,788 of 16,931
I would like to request some advice or general direction.

Of the top, let's say 20 or so IEM's, customs excluded, which have the best isolation after the Ety ER-4's (I already own these). Alternatively, which of said subset of IEM's can be fitted with Ety tips without compromising the music.

Usually travel 2-3 weeks a month, and really want have a change of pace on the planes, but the isolation of Ety's is so much better at isolation that anything else I own...

KP

May 1, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #6,789 of 16,931
I'm having an issue with the GR06. One nozzle swivels much more freely than the other so much so that it doesn't stay in place in the ear as I insert them. The other side is movable but much more firm. This seems not right... I'm trying to determine if my pair is faulty.

But they sound stellar! Really impressed w/ the mids. At this price point, shockingly good.

May 1, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #6,792 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks ljoker. At the price of about $280 (right now $248 on musicaacoustics), the e-Q5 don't look that enticing to me. 

But if I buy through Amazon Jp, and use Tenso to forward it to me, the total comes down to less than $200. At that price it becomes much more attractive. I think I can make compromise with whatever possible shortcomings that the e-Q5 might have. I realized while I am on-the-go, there is always environmental noise and I don't need the best SQ.

I know from first look that the tips of the Yamaha will give me problems, and nowadays I am not too into experimenting with swapping tips on iems.

I thought the same about the stock Yamaha tips but they were surprisingly comfortable for me. Plus, standard silicone tips (of the 5.5mm Sennheiser/UE and many others use) generally fit on them. The e-Q5 is the more accurate earphone but has less bass than the EPH-100 and is a little brighter (albeit quite smooth). For what I think you want I would put it slightly below the e-Q7 and EPH-100 but it's definitely a solid set.

Quote:

looking forward to it!

I find them a little sibilant, but apart from that excellent - can i justify the price tag...probably not.

I think as with the first PFEs it depends on the filters. The gray filters have the best detail and resolution but overstep the sibilance/brightness line for me here and there. They remind me of the K3003 with the +treble filters, which do (almost) the same thing. 

Quote:
I would like to request some advice or general direction.

Of the top, let's say 20 or so IEM's, customs excluded, which have the best isolation after the Ety ER-4's (I already own these). Alternatively, which of said subset of IEM's can be fitted with Ety tips without compromising the music.

Usually travel 2-3 weeks a month, and really want have a change of pace on the planes, but the isolation of Ety's is so much better at isolation that anything else I own...

KP

Higher-end Westone/Shure IEMs generally work with Ety tips or have their own triples and isolate quite well. q-JAYS and Fischer DBA-02 mkII can isolate a lot too.

Quote:
I'm having an issue with the GR06. One nozzle swivels much more freely than the other so much so that it doesn't stay in place in the ear as I insert them. The other side is movable but much more firm. This seems not right... I'm trying to determine if my pair is faulty.

But they sound stellar! Really impressed w/ the mids. At this price point, shockingly good.

I would consider that a defect - the nozzles on my GR06s and GR07s are equally tight/hard to move.

May 2, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #6,793 of 16,931
Hey joker I hope you'll have the TF10 review up sometime soon as I've wanted to know what you think of for awhile now and it seems like they've been on your in progress list forever, also looking forward to your EPH-100 review.

May 2, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #6,794 of 16,931
Entirely possible, I think some of the stores I used to buy these from don't even exist anymore. If you can spend $10-15 the Philips SHE3580 isolates pretty well (3-3.5 on the scale on the front page) and sounds excellent.

Thanks for the tip. Although it seems only the 3853 is sold here. I guess because its the pink variant... Isn't it?
Are other philipses of similar quality or is this the only decent one? (The 3680 looks quite the same) Or is there anything similar in the price range? (Some people mentioned Panasonic RP-HJE120 although they weren't to detailed, especially on isolation.)

(Or maybe I'll just paint it black :) )

May 2, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #6,795 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey joker I hope you'll have the TF10 review up sometime soon as I've wanted to know what you think of for awhile now and it seems like they've been on your in progress list forever, also looking forward to your EPH-100 review.

If there were 30 hours to a day the list would be a lot shorter 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Although it seems only the 3853 is sold here. I guess because its the pink variant... Isn't it?
Are other philipses of similar quality or is this the only decent one? (The 3680 looks quite the same) Or is there anything similar in the price range?
(Or maybe I'll just paint it black
smily_headphones1.gif
)

The only other Philips IEM I have is the SHO2200 "Tread" which doesn't sound as good as the SHE3850. Other options... JVC Marshallows are a classic and you may be able to find the older versions cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back