Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 12, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #6,571 of 16,931
Really? I always thought it was the same thing.

You might be mixing it up with a cinch cable, which is a cable that splits from one stereo to two phono plugs.

Quote:
The chin slider is, of course, the chin slider.  The cable cinch is where the main cables separate into the individual Left/Right cables.

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #6,572 of 16,931
hey joker , dose the dba-2 worth as an upgrade over the ue 700 ? what you suggest . should not be too light or bright .

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #6,573 of 16,931

Quote:

Well I'm coming from the Q-Jays of which I think, they can not go loud enough and sometimes lack a bit of bass. I know it's going to be a step backwards with a budget of only $100 but for now that's just the way it is.  

The SE215 has more bass than the q-JAYS. Not sure about a direct sensitivity comparison but I didn't think they lacked any and they are more sensitive than the HiSound Crystal. 

Quote:

The sound of the Shure SE215 wasn't the problem; I actually liked the Shure's sound. The problem was with the cable and it started to annoy me enough to become a deal breaker. So I decided to return them. I was looking at the Turbine Pro Golds but wasn't sure if there were any other IEM's out there with similar sound. Read through a lot of reviews but couldn't find any that referenced similar sound to the Turbines. The only problem I might have with the MTPG's are that they are a little flashy for me with the gold color, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Again thanks for the advice!

If you like the SE215, maybe check out the HiSound Crystal? It's got a more conventional form factor. Cable is decent, too. There's also the pricier Golden Crystal but I don't have much experience with it. The HiSound IEMs are certainly a lot less flashy than Turbine Pros.

Quote:
Joker, which of all the TWFK-based IEM's is your personal favorite?
Just wondering 
tongue.gif

TWFK with no additional driver? Probably the CK10 although the DBA-02 (either revision) is pretty close.

Quote:

Yes, I have a feeling those two are the contenders, just wanted a direct answer from him I guess 
wink.gif

I myself just brought a UE700 for 86$, and am really impressed by the clarity, separation, and detail of these TWFK drivers, I'd say about the same with the GR07, do you agree with this Joker? Or do you rank the GR07 higher?

Oh, and btw, is a chin slider and a cable cinch the same thing?

Good price on the UE700 - clarity, separation, and detail are competitive with the GR07 but other things aren't.

Yes, some people call it a chin slider. I usually call it a cable cinch - force of habit.

Quote:
Is there a comparison table in jpeg which I can download? I believe I downloaded one about half a year ago and I am now looking for a updated table. Thanks~!

The table is in .png image format to prevent compression artifacts. You can just right click on it and save it to your computer.

Quote:
hey joker , dose the dba-2 worth as an upgrade over the ue 700 ? what you suggest . should not be too light or bright .

The MK-II is definitely less bright and has more texture but it really depends on what you want out of your upgrade as well as which version (UE or Logitech) or the UE700 you have.

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #6,575 of 16,931

Quote:

If you like the SE215, maybe check out the HiSound Crystal? It's got a more conventional form factor. Cable is decent, too. There's also the pricier Golden Crystal but I don't have much experience with it. The HiSound IEMs are certainly a lot less flashy than Turbine Pros.

Hmm just looked at the HiSound Crystal and it looks pretty good for the price of it. One last thing, do you think that the $100 more for the MTPG's are worth getting rather than the $100 HiSound Crystals? Thanks for all the advice.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #6,577 of 16,931

Quote:
Good price on the UE700 - clarity, separation, and detail are competitive with the GR07 but other things aren't.

Yeah, I'm a real sucker for a good bargain.... I bought my GR07 for only 100$... A very sweet deal....
I almost pulled the trigger on a FXT90 for only 70$, but I was too late, someone bought it first... oh well, better luck next time I guess

Anyway, where do you think the GR07 wins over UE700? I assume because UE700 is a BA, it's quicker, am I right?

Also, what would be a good song to test instrument seperation or detail?

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #6,579 of 16,931

Quote:
Hmm just looked at the HiSound Crystal and it looks pretty good for the price of it. One last thing, do you think that the $100 more for the MTPG's are worth getting rather than the $100 HiSound Crystals? Thanks for all the advice.

I think only you can make that decision. If you were happy with the SQ level of the SE215 and the slightly dry, punchy signature, the Crystal should work for you. If you caught yourself wanting a thicker, lusher, smoother, more laid-back sound, you should consider spending extra to get the Golds.

Quote:
Has there been much interest in the new Sony XBA series? I am particularly interested in the 3 driver model.
Thanks,
Russ

There's a long thread on the XBAs out on the forum and an XBA-4 review on the front page of this thread. I haven't heard the 3-driver version.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm a real sucker for a good bargain.... I bought my GR07 for only 100$... A very sweet deal....
I almost pulled the trigger on a FXT90 for only 70$, but I was too late, someone bought it first... oh well, better luck next time I guess

Anyway, where do you think the GR07 wins over UE700? I assume because UE700 is a BA, it's quicker, am I right?

Also, what would be a good song to test instrument seperation or detail?

If you have both, comparing them yourself is always more reliable than reading someone else's impressions. 

I thought the GR07 actually gave up a bit of resolution to the UE700 in exchange for slightly warmer tone, superior bass body, depth, and impact, better bass-midrange balance, slightly thicker note presentation. better timbre with drums and guitars, and a more 3-D/enveloping presentation. This is based on the Logitech version of the UE700 - the older UE version had brighter treble and wasn't much to my liking.

There was a thread somewhere (full-size forum?) that had popular test track suggestions - I would look there. 

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #6,580 of 16,931

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you have both, comparing them yourself is always more reliable than reading someone else's impressions. 

I thought the GR07 actually gave up a bit of resolution to the UE700 in exchange for slightly warmer tone, superior bass body, depth, and impact, better bass-midrange balance, slightly thicker note presentation. better timbre with drums and guitars, and a more 3-D/enveloping presentation. This is based on the Logitech version of the UE700 - the older UE version had brighter treble and wasn't much to my liking.

There was a thread somewhere (full-size forum?) that had popular test track suggestions - I would look there. 

Yes, I did compare them myself, I just wanted to know if I was hearing the same thing as you are... as I'm new to the Audio world, sometimes I doubt myself....
But luckily, my thoughts are almost exactly like yours... although you really have a talent to write about what you hear into words... 
tongue.gif

Alright, thanks for the suggestion!

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #6,581 of 16,931
They warned me before I came to this Site to bring my Wallet.

I am also new to the IEM World and I cannot thank Joker enough for his reviews. I cannot imagine how much time was spent compiling this but I wanted Joker to know that he has cost me money but all for the good.

Many thanks again Joker for all of your hard work. 

Quote:
Yes, I did compare them myself, I just wanted to know if I was hearing the same thing as you are... as I'm new to the Audio world, sometimes I doubt myself....
But luckily, my thoughts are almost exactly like yours... although you really have a talent to write about what you hear into words... 
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #6,583 of 16,931

Quote:
tongue.gif

Good to hear 
wink.gif

Quote:
They warned me before I came to this Site to bring my Wallet.

I am also new to the IEM World and I cannot thank Joker enough for his reviews. I cannot imagine how much time was spent compiling this but I wanted Joker to know that he has cost me money but all for the good.

Many thanks again Joker for all of your hard work. 

Many hours per week for what seems like a couple of years now.

Glad the thread helped!

Quote:
Thanks again for your great advice!

beerchug.gif

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #6,584 of 16,931
Joker - your reviews have helped so much and! I also love that everything is so clear and easy to understand!

I'm torn very right now between the W4 and the SE535.  I've heard some say that the 535 is more "musical" than the W4 but that the W4 improves upon a few areas of the 535 that some have been looking for.  Is one much better than the other for classical (instrumental/orchestral and opera) and rock/alternative than the other?  Is one especially more comfortable than the other?  I'm looking to have this IEM for a long time to come as I simply don't have the money I'd love to try multiple different/new things :)  I want to get lost in the music - at least that's my goal.   Anyone can reply, as well as Joker.  On the low end of the spectrum, I've had a few recommendations for the DBA-02 MKII.  Thank you!! 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back