Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 9, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #4,696 of 16,931
Between the A151 and CC51 which is better for classical?  Did they ever change the shirt clip on the CC51?  I think I prefer their styling, but wouldn't want to be stuck with a shirt clip on the cable.

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #4,697 of 16,931

I wouldn't expect high durability from anything Xears and I don't consider the Hephaes to be very good value for money sonically (might as well just get the Trident for half the price). I would go for the Beyer DTX 101 iE. The bass is quite substantial (but not as excessive as with the M9) and there's no weak spots in the construction.

How about the Brainwavz M2?
Hephaes and Xears is definently out..

So Brainwavz M2 vs. Beyer DTX 101 iE?

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #4,698 of 16,931

Quote:
Between the A151 and CC51 which is better for classical?  Did they ever change the shirt clip on the CC51?  I think I prefer their styling, but wouldn't want to be stuck with a shirt clip on the cable.

A forum member "dziendobry" had reviewed both of them before and it seems that he had already focused on classical music like me and you :)

You may consider checking the below 2 links of his reviews.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/551499/review-mee-a151
http://www.head-fi.org/t/546828/review-mee-cc51

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #4,699 of 16,931

Quote:
As per your recommendation, ljokerl, I just ordered the FA Consonance yesterday. What bothers me right now is that the website (gd-audiobase) sent no confirmation so I checked up on Head-Fi to see if other people complained about it... What I found kind of shocked me, with people waiting for 2 months on a pair...

Did I just lose 70$? Did you order from them?

I haven't bought anything from gd-audiobase in the past year. I imagine delivery times vary based on destination country and other factors. If you paid via paypal you should be fine.

Quote:
Thanks for the reviews, Joker. I've ordered a pair of Hisound Audio Crystal-2s from eBay. I listen to a lot of My Chemical Romance, Police, Led Zeppelin etc, these should be good for that, correct?

Personal sound signature preferences trump genre choice any day if you ask me. If you like punchy, clear, slightly warm sound with a medium-sized soundstage you should be good.

Quote:
Checking in and will wait for the FXT90 and K2 SP review
biggrin.gif

Haven't heard the FXT90 yet but the K2 SP should be coming up soon. Spoiler - I like it a lot.

Quote:

Checks in every week, continues waiting for TF10 review 
rolleyes.gif

Dream on 
tongue.gif

Quote:
@Joker

I would like to thank you for this great effort of putting things together.
I am a newbie and your post helped me a lot to order my very first IEM.

1- My source will be an iPhone 3G, and sometimes my macbook maybe. So i don't think i may buy very very sensitive IEMS while i don't have enough juice at the moment.
2- I mostly listen soft rock(U2, Bon Jovi etc.), soft jazz (Kenny G., Norah Jones, Frank Sinatra etc.), some classicals from Mozart, Beethoven etc. and some pop music of all kind from Edith Piaf to Michael Jackson.. And i am not sure about what to look at while checking the reviews about sond quality of the IEMS. I know i don't need extreme bass as i am not a bass head. I like clear sound with lots of details. Bass should be there but more importantly Vocals should be clear and all instruments must sound fine.

My budget was just 40 usd for the first IEM however i loved the Amazon price of Meelec a151 at $47.99 and go for it.
I will try to post my own review about them when i receive the package and burned them in.

Just a basic question.. Are there any special techniques to burn in the new IEMS? I am considering pluging it to my pc and let it run for a full day. Should i run it max. volume? Are there any specific audio files to play while burning in? 

thanks again..

Don't think the A151 benefits from burn-in but yes, your method should be fine except for the max volume bit and the full day bit. I do 3-4 hour runs at slightly-above-listening volume with half-hour breaks. Music works just fine; I think jlab also has a burn-in application on their site and there's a good noise file in dweaver's signature.

Quote:
audio technica VS DBA-02 
i get an idea they're pretty close in sound
how is their treble, upper mids (and mids at all) compared to the RE0's? 
and specially how vocals (female) sound on these dual BA compared to the RE0? i tried the RE0 and i really liked how vocals sound, a bit far but very detailed and with  a sense of warmth/sweet. and the highs were just WOW!!

i hope  joker and rawster can answer this question
thnx

The RE0 is softer and more dry, the CK10 is edgier, brighter. If you want softer, sweeter sound and great treble I wouldn't bother with the TWFK earphones when the RE272 costs <$250. I would even recommend the e-Q5 over the CK10 for that.

Quote:
ljokerl,

http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/products/hp/ath-ckm1000.html

Seen it, now I just wish I had a marketing contact at Audio-Technica 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

CC51, I would think, but personal preferences can swing it either way. Not sure about the shirt clip but it's easy enough to remove if you are mindful of the cable - just use a flathead screwdriver to pry it wider or break it before taking it off.

Quote:
How about the Brainwavz M2?
Hephaes and Xears is definently out..

So Brainwavz M2 vs. Beyer DTX 101 iE?

M2 more mid-forward, DTX 101 more bassy. I think the Beyers are a little better as an overall package (though they cost more) but prefer the more unique sound of the M2.

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #4,700 of 16,931
Joker,

I've decided that I just want 'fun' from any future IEM purchases, and to me it seems to come down to :

Hippo VB vs GR07

I know - no comparison, right - but I've read and re-read your review of the Hippo and a similar one at anythingbutipod and I just cant ignore them. I'd be lying if I said price was not a factor, but $69 is still a substantial chunk off the GR07 price on ebay. Thoughts ?

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #4,702 of 16,931
Hello, I just got my SoundMAGIC E10's and I was extremely excited to finally have them and use them. But, then when I first hook them up to my iPhone 4 I was extremely disappointed, they sound very muddy and I hear no bass at all. Are they supposed to be like this? Or do I need some burn-in/break-in.. My old SC ink'd sounded better. :frowning2: 

I'm not here for a rant, I just want to know what I should to first. 

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone  using Tapatalk

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #4,703 of 16,931

Quote:
Hello, I just got my SoundMAGIC E10's and I was extremely excited to finally have them and use them. But, then when I first hook them up to my iPhone 4 I was extremely disappointed, they sound very muddy and I hear no bass at all. Are they supposed to be like this? Or do I need some burn-in/break-in.. My old SC ink'd sounded better.
frown.gif

I'm not here for a rant, I just want to know what I should to first. 
Thank you
Sent from my iPhone  using Tapatalk

Have you tried all the sizes of the stock tips?  Straight out of the box with my iPhone 4, I heard good sub bass and a clear sound sig.  Seems like you aren't getting a good seal?

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #4,705 of 16,931

Quote:
joker, are the superfi4 or addiem better? id like to have the low end close to feeling like a moving coil, and i think with the addiem having two speakers, it should move more air and therefore produce more depth to the soundstage?

bmeat, you still have not decided?  Joker (as well as others) has answered all your queries dating back to 1987 it seems.  Sir, they are your ears.  Pull the trigger and decide for yourself.  By the time you make a decision, VSONIC will be on the GR027.

Sorry, but I think I have received like 12 iems from the first time I read your posts.  It's all good bro, but you have to make the decision sometime.

beerchug.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #4,707 of 16,931

Quote:
bmeat, you still have not decided?  Joker (as well as others) has answered all your queries dating back to 1987 it seems.  Sir, they are your ears.  Pull the trigger and decide for yourself.  By the time you make a decision, VSONIC will be on the GR027.

1987 was the year I joined the Army - I don't even think IEMs existed in 1987 !  
biggrin.gif

We have a few special cases like bmeat in Portable Amps - one in particular has talked himself out of every new amp since the Corda Headsix : you have to admire that kind of resilience.   I'm not sure exactly when the padlock is going to come off that wallet, but when it does ......

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #4,709 of 16,931

Quote:

1987 was the year I joined the Army - I don't even think IEMs existed in 1987 !  
biggrin.gif

We have a few special cases like bmeat in Portable Amps - one in particular has talked himself out of every new amp since the Corda Headsix : you have to admire that kind of resilience.   I'm not sure exactly when the padlock is going to come off that wallet, but when it does ......

LOL...You da man Oz.  1988 was the year I got out of the Marine Corps but I feel like I have known him since back then...

I know we really want to get him a pair of new iems before the US elects our next president.

Having Joker (or anyone else, for that matter) compare two iems at any given time is impossible.  There are like 2.5 million iems at this time for purchase in different price brackets, compared to when I first joined head-fi that there were 7 iems to choose from.  Back then it was easy, now impossible.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #4,710 of 16,931

Quote:
LOL...You da man Oz.  1988 was the year I got out of the Marine Corps but I feel like I have known him since back then...

I know we really want to get him a pair of new iems before the US elects our next president.

Having Joker (or anyone else, for that matter) compare two iems at any given time is impossible.  There are like 2.5 million iems at this time for purchase in different price brackets, compared to when I first joined head-fi that there were 7 iems to choose from.  Back then it was easy, now impossible.

1988 was the year I was born, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back