Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 9, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #4,711 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker,

I've decided that I just want 'fun' from any future IEM purchases, and to me it seems to come down to :

Hippo VB vs GR07

I know - no comparison, right - but I've read and re-read your review of the Hippo and a similar one at anythingbutipod and I just cant ignore them. I'd be lying if I said price was not a factor, but $69 is still a substantial chunk off the GR07 price on ebay. Thoughts ?

I guess it depends on what you're really looking to spend. The VB is an enjoyable listen and a great value at $69 assuming the recent ones still sound the same as the first production run. It's not without competition in that price range but it still holds its own easily. It can't compete in accuracy with the GR07 but if that's not what you're after there's no point in comparing them. 

Quote:
Hello, I just got my SoundMAGIC E10's and I was extremely excited to finally have them and use them. But, then when I first hook them up to my iPhone 4 I was extremely disappointed, they sound very muddy and I hear no bass at all. Are they supposed to be like this? Or do I need some burn-in/break-in.. My old SC ink'd sounded better.
frown.gif

I'm not here for a rant, I just want to know what I should to first. 
Thank you
Sent from my iPhone  using Tapatalk

Sounds like they are defective - lack of bass can be a result of a bad acoustic seal but they shouldn't sound muddier. With a good seal they should easily beat the Ink'd in both clarity and bass quantity out of the box.

Quote:
joker, are the superfi4 or addiem better? id like to have the low end close to feeling like a moving coil, and i think with the addiem having two speakers, it should move more air and therefore produce more depth to the soundstage?

I can't give a better answer than what's been given by Inks, Anaxilus, and others over the past few pages of the thread. No, the ADDIEM does not move more air than the SuperFi4 but since you don't believe anyone just buy it and try it for yourself instead of asking over and over and especially instead of implying something about unfair scoring. There is no real reason to assume that two drivers sound better, produce more bass, give better depth, etc., than one, especially in that price range. There is often the potential for better tuning with multiple drivers but that's it. There are some immensely competent single-driver designs out there. The $1100 FAD FI-BA-SS uses a single armature, for example, and it gets along just fine. This is why hands-on experience is much more valuable than theorizing and also why making recommendations based on assumptions, hearsay, or even others' reviews is discouraged here.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #4,714 of 16,931

Quote:
LOL...You da man Oz.  1988 was the year I got out of the Marine Corps but I feel like I have known him since back then...

I know we really want to get him a pair of new iems before the US elects our next president.

Having Joker (or anyone else, for that matter) compare two iems at any given time is impossible.  There are like 2.5 million iems at this time for purchase in different price brackets, compared to when I first joined head-fi that there were 7 iems to choose from.  Back then it was easy, now impossible.

Great stuff - I learned everything I know about the Marine Corp from JAG, but I still haven't seen a single Marine who looks as good in uniform as Major Colonel McKenzie. I suspect that Donald Belasario got a nice little kickback from the Pentagon for his recruiting efforts with that show. Reality must be a total bitch when they get to recruit training. 
biggrin.gif

Agree re the IEM comparisons, but I'm repeatedly stunned by some of the questions Head-Fiers come out with - as soon as I tell myself that absolutely no-one is going to be using Melody Miracles from a full dCS stack, someone comes along and proves me wrong. 
eek.gif

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #4,717 of 16,931

Quote:

The RE0 is softer and more dry, the CK10 is edgier, brighter. If you want softer, sweeter sound and great treble I wouldn't bother with the TWFK earphones when the RE272 costs <$250. I would even recommend the e-Q5 over the CK10 for that.

thanks for  the advise. hifiman build quality worries me for that price range. and as for the e-q , the weird fit/design
on the other hand , the ck10 tank-build is what i expect for that price

an TWFK ? so which ones on this thread use those TWFK ? dba-02 and q-jays i guess, and what else? 

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #4,718 of 16,931
Nov 10, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #4,719 of 16,931

Quote:
I got a bit of a UM3X-ish feel from the UE 600 / SuperFi 5. It's too bad UE isn't having more of those $55-65 sales because $100 is way too much. M2 is a good choice as well.. curious as to whether you will like them better than the E30.

I've been listening to my M2s for a few days now and I am surprised by their sound quality for as cheap as they are.  

They are somewhat close to the UM3X in the mid-range presentation.  They're not as warm as the UM3X, but close.  Spatially, they are not as intimate so if you're looking for more personal feel with your vocals the UM3X is still king.  Also, the instrument separation is night and day.  I don't think anything can match the UM3X, although my SE535s do come somewhat close.

Bottom line - I'm really happy with them.  They're much better than the E30 IMHO.  The E30s will be used for running and sleeping now.

I'm still waiting for that blockbuster deal on a pair of UE 600s. 
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #4,720 of 16,931
I just bought the Xears XE200Pro which are very good, especially with the discount price. Anyway, I'm considering on buying the Head-Direct Re0 (ReZero) or whatever. Anyway, I'm located in Canada so I think my only option is to buy from ebay. Which buyer do you guys suggest I buy from?

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #4,723 of 16,931
The MEE thing is probably a standalone amp of some sort. Unless they developed it for a new model, I don't see what they would bundle it with.

Quote:
I've been listening to my M2s for a few days now and I am surprised by their sound quality for as cheap as they are. 
wink.gif

Great, welcome to the club! Agree on the criticisms, but then it wouldn't expected to get anywhere near the UM3X in resolution or separation.

Quote:
I just bought the Xears XE200Pro which are very good, especially with the discount price. Anyway, I'm considering on buying the Head-Direct Re0 (ReZero) or whatever. Anyway, I'm located in Canada so I think my only option is to buy from ebay. Which buyer do you guys suggest I buy from?

Pretty sure Head-Direct ships worldwide from their site - no need to buy from ebay. RE0 and RE-ZERO are different earphones, by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back