Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 19, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #14,342 of 16,931

ba200 can fit the bill , not the re-400 , its has a small bass increment over b2 .

thanks for reply
i think i already like ba200 more than re400 :)

Those are all pretty different-sounding. I would say that for bass you'll want at a GR07 Bass Edition over a regular one. The BA200 and R-50 have less bass than these. The R-50 especially is not a good buy if you want an upgrade in bass quantity from the RE0.

The MA750 has a lot more bass than the other sets you're considering, it's a borderline basshead earphone. Good in that context, but very different from an RE0.

The MA750 is bassier and warmer, with less forward mids and a bit more lower treble. The R3 is more balanced overall, with less bass enhancement, more forward mids, and smoother treble.

GR07 Bass Edition can be had for $130 or so nowadays. It has slightly more bass than even the Fidelio S2. The midrange is better on the BA200 IMO but I think the GR07 BE is a worthy compromise if you thought the B2/VC1000 didn't have any bass. The RE-400 is most likely not a good buy for what you want. 

thanks for the reply joker.
i had gr07 classic. it very good sounding, the bass quality is great, and quantity is more than enough for me. but sold it because the mid/vocal not forward and lush enough for my taste.
i dont mind trade a little decrease bass quantity of gr07 for increase quality&lush mid of ba200 :)
do you think i will get more quality and lush mid from ba200 compared to gr07?

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #14,343 of 16,931
  Hi ljokerl.
Thanks so much for the reply, and for this amazing thread.

- Can you comment regarding "sony-ish" sound with comparison to the main candidates above?
- Should t-peos altone2000 should be considered in this category?

I don't know what you mean by Sony-ish sound - Sony has a lot of headphones spanning different sound signatures. The Altone200 would be too much of a change from the RE0 IMO - just too v-shaped and bright. It's got a big sound, just not sure it's the signature you are looking for. 

thanks for the reply joker.
i had gr07 classic. it very good sounding, the bass quality is great, and quantity is more than enough for me. but sold it because the mid/vocal not forward and lush enough for my taste.
i dont mind trade a little decrease bass quantity of gr07 for increase quality&lush mid of ba200 :)
do you think i will get more quality and lush mid from ba200 compared to gr07?

Compared to the GR07 and Fidelio S2 the BA200 does focus on more on the mids. About the same as the RE-400, but the bass is a little deeper on the TDKs. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #14,346 of 16,931
how would the final audio design Heaven II and carbo zero Tenore compare to jvc fxt90? 
Past sets owned include vsonic GR07 and ba200. 

I prefer wide soundstage (gr07), clear and good mids (ba200, although a little too forward sounding for me while gr07 was too dry) and a sound that comes together musically (less analytical?). 
Im not particular about bass so amount equivalent to the 2 sets are alright. Branwavz B2 and Rockit R-50 bass level are too little (owned and sold off).  

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #14,348 of 16,931
  how would the final audio design Heaven II and carbo zero Tenore compare to jvc fxt90? 
Past sets owned include vsonic GR07 and ba200. 

I prefer wide soundstage (gr07), clear and good mids (ba200, although a little too forward sounding for me while gr07 was too dry) and a sound that comes together musically (less analytical?). 
Im not particular about bass so amount equivalent to the 2 sets are alright. Branwavz B2 and Rockit R-50 bass level are too little (owned and sold off).  

The Heaven II is a lot flatter/more accurate/more analytical than the FXT90. It doesn't have the bass quantity of a GR07 and generally reminds me more of the B2 or R-50 than a GR07 or BA200. 

Eventually, after too much time spent on reading headphone reviews, I decided to intuitively order a pair of ath-im70 (I have great faith in audio technica)
Will report back when they get to me

Enjoy! 

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #14,349 of 16,931
Hey Joker!

I've been pretty content with my DT770 and FRD80s, but I went on the Golden Ears site again and found that I actually quite liked the darker sounding sound clips (using my DT770). I know it's a little late to be realising this now, but to be honest I'm fine with the sound on the 770 (EQing helps a bit), its just vocals on the FRD80 sometimes sound a little unnatural. 

When I first got my JVC XX and AM800 I was listening to a lot of crap, but since then I've started listening to a lot more house (deamau5, daft punk etc). For this, both my current headphones are good, but my problems are that I also listen to a lot of indie pop/alternative (passenger, chet faker, imagine dragons etc) 

I've tried simply boosting the mid-bass on the FRDs to try and put some more emphasis on the vocals but it didn't really work out too well either :/

Just wondering what my options would be if I were to consider upgrading (yet again :D) to something more warm than the FRD80s, but still less than £50 if possible, and maybe with a mic if that's possible too?

If it helps, I went back to the AM800s and I could definitely hear the difference in the mids, and really liked that. Actually that probably makes everything harder :/

Thanks for the help though!

edit: also, you mentioned this before, but I couldn't find it. Any help?

There's an app that lets you use reference headphones and pre-set EQ settings to "try out" different other sound signatures. I believe it's curated by GoldenEars and you can find it on their site.

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #14,350 of 16,931
Aug 20, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #14,351 of 16,931
  Hey Joker!

I've been pretty content with my DT770 and FRD80s, but I went on the Golden Ears site again and found that I actually quite liked the darker sounding sound clips (using my DT770). I know it's a little late to be realising this now, but to be honest I'm fine with the sound on the 770 (EQing helps a bit), its just vocals on the FRD80 sometimes sound a little unnatural. 

When I first got my JVC XX and AM800 I was listening to a lot of crap, but since then I've started listening to a lot more house (deamau5, daft punk etc). For this, both my current headphones are good, but my problems are that I also listen to a lot of indie pop/alternative (passenger, chet faker, imagine dragons etc) 

I've tried simply boosting the mid-bass on the FRDs to try and put some more emphasis on the vocals but it didn't really work out too well either :/

Just wondering what my options would be if I were to consider upgrading (yet again :D) to something more warm than the FRD80s, but still less than £50 if possible, and maybe with a mic if that's possible too?

If it helps, I went back to the AM800s and I could definitely hear the difference in the mids, and really liked that. Actually that probably makes everything harder :/

Thanks for the help though!

edit: also, you mentioned this before, but I couldn't find it. Any help?

I think the Sony MH1C is your best bet for warmer sound that's natural. It may not be as clear as the FRDs but it's got the right tonal character.

And yes, Accudio is the app I was thinking of.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #14,352 of 16,931
Two questions for you Joker, have you've listened to ATH-IM60, and if you did what's a good upgrade?

I love this IEM but, I'm just ready to upgrade and hear better if there's a good option out there with similar mids and more impactful bass.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #14,353 of 16,931
Two questions for you Joker, have you've listened to ATH-IM60, and if you did what's a good upgrade?

I love this IEM but, I'm just ready to upgrade and hear better if there's a good option out there with similar mids and more impactful bass.

is there a ath-im60 ? sorry if i have been in caves for few months .

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #14,354 of 16,931
I don't know if there's a price difference between here and over there, but the MH1C are really cheap at £12 (JVC were £30). Is that just a nice surprise or is there anything recommended slightly above that price?

I know more money doesn't always equal better sound, but I thought it was worth asking.

edit:

I've had a look at the Accudio app, and it does look pretty good. Does anyone know of anything like that from Windows or Android?

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #14,355 of 16,931

I didn't know there even was an IM60...

I don't know if there's a price difference between here and over there, but the MH1C are really cheap at £12 (JVC were £30). Is that just a nice surprise or is there anything recommended slightly above that price?

I know more money doesn't always equal better sound, but I thought it was worth asking.

edit:

I've had a look at the Accudio app, and it does look pretty good. Does anyone know of anything like that from Windows or Android?

I'm used to the MH1C being $30-60. Sounds like you're just getting a good deal. 

There was a store that allowed you to "sample" different headphones in the same way online but it was mostly full-size cans and for the life of me I can't remember the name. Maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back