Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 15, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #14,311 of 16,931
I'm with @ZapX629, the vsd3s is an upgrade to the vsd1 in every way I can think of and since pricing is pretty much the same it should be a easy choice between the two.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #14,312 of 16,931
  so basically both vsonic are better than soundmagic?
whats the difference between vsd1 and vsd3s?

thanks

The only place where the VSD1 is better is in the bass area. Not in quantity, but in tightness. However, VSD3S has deeper bass which you can feel more. VSD3 has better instrument separation, better soundstage and image, a bit more clarity and detail (with the stock tips), and overall better sound quality. I think it's a great all arounder headphone. It does all genres well and doesn't leave you wanting in anything I've tried. 

My original comparisons are here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/669510/the-new-iem-of-vsonic-vsd-3s-impression-updated-by-smailbz/1695#post_10687161

You can get the black version for $45 at PenonAudio right now.  http://penonaudio.com/VSONIC-VSD3S

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #14,313 of 16,931
  so basically both vsonic are better than soundmagic?
whats the difference between vsd1 and vsd3s?

thanks

Definitely better than soundmagic. As far as the vsd1/s vs vsd3s - it's not a huge difference sq-wise. They have different presentation with the vsd3s sounding  more mellow and laid back and a bit softer on the bass impact. It is a bit more neutral though and overall is clearer and with better separation than vsd1s. The vsd1s does have a tighter bass with better impact and is warmer and fuller sounding. They are similar in the lower treble but the vsd3s extends better on top and has a lot more shimmer due to the peakiness in the upper treble.
IMO the vsd3s while not heaps and bounds better is easily the better buy even only for the more spacious sound and better build quality. Also, the vsd1/s is currently being upgraded by vsonic and an updated version should be released in the coming months, so I don't think it's a good idea to buy one now.

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #14,314 of 16,931
  Definitely better than soundmagic. As far as the vsd1/s vs vsd3s - it's not a huge difference sq-wise. They have different presentation with the vsd3s sounding  more mellow and laid back and a bit softer on the bass impact. It is a bit more neutral though and overall is clearer and with better separation than vsd1s. The vsd1s does have a tighter bass with better impact and is warmer and fuller sounding. They are similar in the lower treble but the vsd3s extends better on top and has a lot more shimmer due to the peakiness in the upper treble.
IMO the vsd3s while not heaps and bounds better is easily the better buy even only for the more spacious sound and better build quality. Also, the vsd1/s is currently being upgraded by vsonic and an updated version should be released in the coming months, so I don't think it's a good idea to buy one now.

First I've heard of an updated VSD1/S. Curious what the changes will be. 

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #14,316 of 16,931
Hi,
I fully agree with Suman & Kova regarding Vsd1, which I think is a good compromise if you don't have specific highend needs. As per my feeling, the Vsd3s are a bit more N-shaped Vs the Vsd1.
Yes, the Vsonic are better than the Soundmagic.
However, IMHO, if you want great iem (with medium-low budget) with a V-shaped performance like I love (good warm bass, nice highs and the mids a bit more backward) I would also suggest other iem tested... Like for instance Xiaomi Pistons 2 or the Ubsound Fighter aluminum. Then if you love a N-shaped sound, also the easy Dunu dn-12.
Cheers

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #14,317 of 16,931
Hi,
first of all, thanks & congrats for your deep and superb review since the start of this nice thread.
May you please give me some advice...?
As I've already shared on this forum, I really love V-shaped sound..
that said, I need to find a really v-shaped iem.. would you suggest this T-Pesos D200R?
I mean.. I'm also thinking about the Dunu dn-1000 (which are indeed more V-shaped than dn-2000)... than I've seen many reviews regarding the Altone..
But it's difficult to be sure you know... I love V sound but I don't want the bass cover the other frequencies like Beats and Bose..
So, any advice please?
Cheers

Aug 16, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #14,318 of 16,931
Hi,
first of all, thanks & congrats for your deep and superb review since the start of this nice thread.
that said, I need to find a really v-shaped iem.. would you suggest this T-Pesos D200R?
I mean.. I'm also thinking about the Dunu dn-1000 (which are indeed more V-shaped than dn-2000)... than I've seen many reviews regarding the Altone..
But it's difficult to be sure you know... I love V sound but I don't want the bass cover the other frequencies like Beats and Bose..
So, any advice please?
Cheers

if you like good quality and quantity bass try the ma750 too.  i just got a pair and all i got to say is wow.  the bass is at the edge of real basshead level without sacrificing much at the other end.   though it is on the warmer side.  another suggestion would probably be the eph-100 but haven't tried those yet.

Aug 16, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #14,319 of 16,931
Cheers mate

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #14,321 of 16,931

First I've heard of an updated VSD1/S. Curious what the changes will be. 

So far seems to be only cosmetic but of course the change in the housing and the cable could lead to some change in the sound. 

Quote:
I just found xiaomi piston 2 on eBay for a much cheaper price
Is the piston really better than vsonic?

There are fakes of the Pistons, so I wouldn't just buy from random sellers. There have been plenty of reports from people who decided to save some bucks and got burned with fakes. And IMO despite all the hype I personally would pick any vsonic model over the pistons.

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #14,322 of 16,931
  It was talked about here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/669510/the-new-iem-of-vsonic-vsd-3s-impression-updated-by-smailbz/1770#post_10694195

I wonder if the new VSD1 will sound different in any way. 

Originally Posted by kova4a /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So far seems to be only cosmetic but of course the change in the housing and the cable could lead to some change in the sound. 

Nice pic. They look great. Same or similar sound with an improved form factor would be a winner. 

Hi,
So, any advice please?
Cheers

If you're aiming at that $30-50 range, the D200R has a more v-shaped sibling... the Rich200. It has more bass (still a little below DN-1000 level, but not by too much) and a little less midrange presence. These inexpensive T-Peos models all have very good bass quality, definitely no muddiness or veiling. Of course the DN-1000 is better overall but it's 6x more expensive. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #14,323 of 16,931
I just found xiaomi piston 2 on eBay for a much cheaper price
Is the piston really better than vsonic?

To add kova's recommendation, pick vsd3S than vsd1/s/LE.....as its an easy to drive (any source like smartphone,ipods,tabs,etc) no amp required,better sounding than those in that price bracket,has removable cable.....and you will love it in all the department.....

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #14,324 of 16,931
Thank you Joker...
very nice and clear as always.
Cheers

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #14,325 of 16,931
Hi,
thanks for the great comparison.
I would like some help deciding which IEMs to pick.
I'm looking for balanced sound, does not have to be neutral, but hopefully not artificial. Use would be mostly rock, classic rock and TV/Movies.
I have looked at Havi B3 pro - needs amp
 KC06 - not suitable for all types of music
VSD3s - possibly too bassy, not enough clarity?
Vivo XE800 - not much information on those

They should be suitable for prolonged use.
My best pick would probably be VSD3s. 

Many thanks for any advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back