Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 17, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #6,617 of 16,931
Hey joker Sorry for disturbing you again, I'm trying to find a gift for a friend, preferably under 50 bucks which one would you recommend? The're not really audiophiles and just need something better than apple earbuds, with better bass if possible. I would than try finding it in my local headphone store

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #6,618 of 16,931
Hey joker I would love for you to checkout the Rockit Sounds R-50 to hear what you'd think of them.  Its another Knowles TWFK based IEM but is tuned different from the others to have a detailed sound but with a smoother and warmer presentation, I'm loving them at the moment.  These are my first TWFK pair and the fact that they have a smoother sound is what lead me to get them.  So just another IEM out of the hundreds of others I'm sure people want you to review 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #6,619 of 16,931

Quote:
My turn to appreciate all your efforts joker!!
What is the biggest soundstage among IEMs you've tried regardless the price?

Probably the Sony EX1000 / EX600 or Sennheiser IE8. 

Quote:
Joker, do you know if Green House's DBA-02 is the same as Fischer's DBA-02?

Not a clue. I've seen those before but have never run across any impressions.

Quote:
[size=medium]Hello – for a newbie like me, I really appreciate all the good info in this threat, thanks!  I purchased my first set of IEMs a couple weeks ago to use with my new iPhone, and ended up purchasing the Klipsch S4i based on CNET and other reviews.  I was very disappointed when I first tried them out – they fell out of my ears even with the largest tips, the wires tangled like crazy, I wasn’t prepared for the microphonics and bone noise, and the mic was very sensitive to wind.  Through some research I found that some of these issues are inherent with IEMs, and after using them for a week or so I got used to much of these issues but having to push the buds back into my ear every minute was a pain. [/size]

[size=medium]I wanted to try a different set so I picked up a pair of the new Sony XBA-1iP’s late last week.  The first thing I noticed was the flat wires don’t tangle as much and I was able to find a pair of tips that fit really well.  I spent some time doing a side by side comparison with the S4i’s (with the Sony tips on) and realized how much bass the S4i’s have, almost to the point where it muddles the mids and highs.  I don’t have a great ear for this stuff but the XBA-1iP’s sound pretty good to me, better than the S4i’s at least.  I listen to a variety of music (no modern rap though)  and while doing a sound comparison between  the two with a classical piece, I noticed some white noise/hum with the S4i’s.  Regarding the mic, I’ve been told my voice still sounds distant when I use the mic on the XBA-1iP’s but the wind doesn’t affect it as much so I would say it is also better than the S4i’s.  [/size]

[size=medium]I have a couple more weeks to return either set but at this point I like the XBA-1iP’s better than the S4i’s.  Does anyone have any opinions to share on the XBA-1iP’s?  Any suggestions on an iPhone compatible set of earphones that are under $100?[/size]
[size=medium]Thanks,[/size]
[size=medium]Steve[/size]

The S4s just aren't very good when you start moving up the food chain. I've only heard the XBA-1 briefly but was impressed - more so than with the XBA-4.

There aren't many solid iPhone-compatible (3-button) headsets out there. The Spider Realvoice, Velodyne vPulse, Etymotic MC3, Soundmagic E10M, and Ultimate Ears 500vi come to mind as sets I would pick over the S4i under $100 but it's entirely possible that the XBA-1 is better than all of these.

Quote:
Hey joker Sorry for disturbing you again, I'm trying to find a gift for a friend, preferably under 50 bucks which one would you recommend? The're not really audiophiles and just need something better than apple earbuds, with better bass if possible. I would than try finding it in my local headphone store

Dunu Trident might be your best bet - smooth, easy-going sound, solid build, nice packaging, looks and feels like a far more expensive product. Failing  that, maybe Soundmagic E10 or Brainwavz ProAlpha.

Quote:
Hey joker I would love for you to checkout the Rockit Sounds R-50 to hear what you'd think of them.  Its another Knowles TWFK based IEM but is tuned different from the others to have a detailed sound but with a smoother and warmer presentation, I'm loving them at the moment.  These are my first TWFK pair and the fact that they have a smoother sound is what lead me to get them.  So just another IEM out of the hundreds of others I'm sure people want you to review 
bigsmile_face.gif

Never heard of it. Looks like a nice design. Which other TWFKs is it smoother than? The ones already on the market vary in both overall smoothness and warmth.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #6,620 of 16,931
The way you describe the GR01 sounds a lot like how I hear the R-50, so I would love to see how you would compare the 2.

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #6,623 of 16,931

Quote:
[size=medium]Hello – for a newbie like me, I really appreciate all the good info in this threat, thanks!  I purchased my first set of IEMs a couple weeks ago to use with my new iPhone, and ended up purchasing the Klipsch S4i based on CNET and other reviews.  I was very disappointed when I first tried them out – they fell out of my ears even with the largest tips, the wires tangled like crazy, I wasn’t prepared for the microphonics and bone noise, and the mic was very sensitive to wind.  Through some research I found that some of these issues are inherent with IEMs, and after using them for a week or so I got used to much of these issues but having to push the buds back into my ear every minute was a pain. [/size]

[size=medium]I wanted to try a different set so I picked up a pair of the new Sony XBA-1iP’s late last week.  The first thing I noticed was the flat wires don’t tangle as much and I was able to find a pair of tips that fit really well.  I spent some time doing a side by side comparison with the S4i’s (with the Sony tips on) and realized how much bass the S4i’s have, almost to the point where it muddles the mids and highs.  I don’t have a great ear for this stuff but the XBA-1iP’s sound pretty good to me, better than the S4i’s at least.  I listen to a variety of music (no modern rap though)  and while doing a sound comparison between  the two with a classical piece, I noticed some white noise/hum with the S4i’s.  Regarding the mic, I’ve been told my voice still sounds distant when I use the mic on the XBA-1iP’s but the wind doesn’t affect it as much so I would say it is also better than the S4i’s.  [/size]

[size=medium]I have a couple more weeks to return either set but at this point I like the XBA-1iP’s better than the S4i’s.  Does anyone have any opinions to share on the XBA-1iP’s?  Any suggestions on an iPhone compatible set of earphones that are under $100?[/size]
[size=medium]Thanks,[/size]
[size=medium]Steve[/size]

I've heard alot of good thing about the XBA-1, and if I were you, I'll keep the XBA-1....
The Klipsch S4i is tuned for mainstream costumers in mind (Translate = more bass)

The XBA-1 uses a BA type transducer, while the S4i uses dynamic transducers

BA types are known for their more controlled, quick, and detailed nature,
While Dynamics are known for their fuller bass and more dynamic presentation

If you do like the XBA-1 more than the S4i, there's no reason not return the S4i...

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #6,624 of 16,931
Hey joker thanks for the previous post, so I've decided to get one trident and one soundmagic E10, and based on the reviews I saw, the E10 has a larger bass,so one of my friend likes dub step while the other is pop and rock, so would the E10 be good for the dub step and trident be good for pop and rock?

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #6,625 of 16,931
They seem to differ in housing and strain relief to the DBA-02s so i doubt there a direct clone. Looking at the specs sheet though they look like there a TWFK driver and are also a fair bit cheaper at 8000 yen (roughly 60 pounds or 100 dollars). Someone in Japan should give them a go!

Quote:
Joker, do you know if Green House's DBA-02 is the same as Fischer's DBA-02?

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #6,626 of 16,931
I got this off a chinese website, www.taobao.com
The seller stated this is the Japanese version of the DBA-02...

I was just looking for more confirmation...

Quote:
They seem to differ in housing and strain relief to the DBA-02s so i doubt there a direct clone. Looking at the specs sheet though they look like there a TWFK driver and are also a fair bit cheaper at 800 yen (roughly 60 pounds or 100 dollars). Someone in Japan should give them a go!

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #6,627 of 16,931
So you have these? and oh is it?! i would not have said but fair enough!

Quote:
I got this off a chinese website, www.taobao.com
The seller stated this is the Japanese version of the DBA-02...

I was just looking for more confirmation...

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #6,629 of 16,931

Quote:
So you have these? and oh is it?! i would not have said but fair enough!

Ah.. sorry... I wasn't being clear enough... I got the "pictures" off the chinese website...
I just ordered a CK10 though... so I'll probably won't be buying anything soon... but I am interested in it... maybe in the near future 

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #6,630 of 16,931
I would not see the point if was you as they both use a TWFK driver and the CK10 is renowned to be one of the best. However nice it would be i do not see this chinese one to live up to the standards of the CK10 (not that i have tried it, I'm a DBA man :wink:

Quote:

Ah.. sorry... I wasn't being clear enough... I got the "pictures" off the chinese website...
I just ordered a CK10 though... so I'll probably won't be buying anything soon... but I am interested in it... maybe in the near future 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back