Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 16, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #5,701 of 16,931
What!?! This man speaks blasphemy! Off to the gulag you go!
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
There is no such thing as 100% neutral, even the Orpheus isn't 100% neutral. 

A remarkably accurate description; it's definitely not made for modern day, highly processed recordings. At the end of the day, however, if there were one Etymotic I'd have it'd be the ER4; I like that it punches the music in the face, spits on it, and gives it a scalping for good measure.

Quote:
The ER-4 is serrated, analytical, digital, the bass sounds like grenade shrapnels and the imaging is two-dimensional.

When did you get the GR10? Strangely, however, I actually prefer the ER4 to the GR10.

Quote:
I still think it is. I think the ER4P/S, are better than the GR07 and all the Hifimans I've tried (though it's a closer call with the RE262). On par with the A1/SA/SB, though I do give the GR10 the upper hand for my taste and technicality rating.

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #5,702 of 16,931

Quote:
I am pretty sure that's the comply S series. http://www.complyfoam.com/products/S-400/
I think the comply booth also said something about this series being available directly to earphone manufacturers.

You're right, they do demo their earphones with our S-Series tips. We make them in 100-size just for Westone demos. 
We hope everyone had a great CES! 

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #5,703 of 16,931

Quote:
You're right, they do demo their earphones with our S-Series tips. We make them in 100-size just for Westone demos. 
We hope everyone had a great CES! 

How come you guys won't let MEELEC have a share in Comply Foam tips in their Ear tip set? Their earphones are really good.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #5,704 of 16,931
I shot an email to Westone about offering iPhone controls with their premium IEMs and it seems they're working on it.  They're plan to offer replacement cables that will have it.  I think it's safe to say I'll be throwing some money their way when this happens.  I've always been curious about their IEMs.

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #5,705 of 16,931

Quote:
I shot an email to Westone about offering iPhone controls with their premium IEMs and it seems they're working on it.  They're plan to offer replacement cables that will have it.  I think it's safe to say I'll be throwing some money their way when this happens.  I've always been curious about their IEMs.

Interesting. How about Westone custom cables? My CTM-200 could be handy with a nice remote/mic unit.

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #5,706 of 16,931

Well, as neutral as a neutral IEM can get ;P

There's no way to make that definitive with what we can prove though. Unless the UERM does that accuracy test or something of the sort. 

A remarkably accurate description; it's definitely not made for modern day, highly processed recordings. At the end of the day, however, if there were one Etymotic I'd have it'd be the ER4; I like that it punches the music in the face, spits on it, and gives it a scalping for good measure.

When did you get the GR10? Strangely, however, I actually prefer the ER4 to the GR10.

I agree a lot of the people who describe the ER4 as thin, harsh, gritty, etc. may just be listening to modern, compressed, harsh recordings. Definitely a factor to consider. 

I'm borrowing it from James. You're right, now that I've had more time with them I think even calling the GR10 an ER4S upgrade is a stretch.  I like the Ety's treble more but I do prefer the GR10's bass though the Ety's are just lacking punch and not depth. 

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #5,708 of 16,931
Quote:

I presume the cable will be the very same one that's featured already on their new talk series, the Westone T1.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #5,709 of 16,931

Quote:
You could send an email to the UE labs and ask what a perfectly neutral IEM is.

For your ears, probably not any IEM you can buy from the market.  The IEM interacts with each person's ear canals differently to produce unique resonance peaks
http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

The etys would have been pretty close to neutral for me if not for a 10+dB peak around 8kHz.  Sure didn't appear on Etymotic's measured response for the ER-4P.  Once the peak was EQ'ed out they sounded pretty damn good.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #5,712 of 16,931
You could send an email to the UE labs and ask what a perfectly neutral IEM is.

Theylll say that there is no perfect neutral IEM unless they make a fool of themselves claiming the UERM is the THE one as that will be blatant marketing. People should avoid the concept of perfection on audio, just not going to happen that's the fun of it. 

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #5,713 of 16,931

Quote:
Interesting. How about Westone custom cables? My CTM-200 could be handy with a nice remote/mic unit.

Here's the email:

Quote:
Thank you for your email and interest in Westone Music Products. Currently the only product we have available for use with smartphones our Talk Series, TS1. It is a single driver, universal fit earphone that has a microphone and button control on the cable that allows the user to answer/end calls and assists with music playback. In the near future we will be releasing the EPIC MICS replacement cable that can be purchased for any of our products that have a removable cable: Elite Series, AC Series, UM2 RC, UM3X RC, and the Westone 4R. If you have any additional questions please let us know. Thank you and have a great day!

I've been wanting try Westone's for a while now, so this is great news.  I'll probably go for the UM2 when this happens.

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #5,714 of 16,931
From the K2 thread, my posts on K2 with the Epiphany EHP-O2 amp:
Quote:
I hear impressive layering and better bass texture and attack. Mids is pushed forward just enough for my taste and rendered more natural together with the highs. It really sounds like a full sized headphone with the O2.

Quote:
Actually, I was very surprised that the EHP-O2 did not 'aggravate' so to speak the already bright nature of the K2. Note: I did put some foams on the nozzle of my filter-removed-MX as it was too bright for me. WIth the O2, I can listen with the K2 with foam removed. There's no harshness or sibilance, instead there's more air and detail on the highs - could be on par with DBA02's highs but I'm just guessing from memory. I can actually listen to Garbage' When I Grow Up (Ver2.0) in my normal listening level. Carmina Burana O Fortuna sounds very revealing with more detail like the vocals.

Not sure if its my amp's version but the Epiphany EHP-O2 sounds very smooth on the high end (actually not a very good match with my Fostex T40RPv2) and I think this complemented (my) K2's highs.

Hope to try it with the StepDance/T5 one of these days though.

biggrin.gif
I'm just sharing what I'm hearing with my setup: Fuze>LOD>EHP-O2>K2. Really an impressive setup already.
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #5,715 of 16,931
joker, I am happy to say that the FX700 is exactly what you described. It definitely has more treble presence than the Turbine Copper. It also has more clarity, 3D, and separation.

It's very good but not perfect. If I'm looking for tighter bass, more 3D presentation, and more instrument separation, do I have to go into the custom market?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back