Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #5,686 of 16,931
Quote:
Tips.  I used my own Meelec silicone bi-flanges which I'm familiar with on most of the universals I've used.  Great seal for low end response but lets the phone breathe in the upper registers too.  

Hmm...

I haven't had had tips make differences that big unless they just didn't seal at all but I haven't owned that many different IEMs either.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #5,687 of 16,931

Quote:

Neither the M5 nor the FX700 is neutral. For me the definition of neutral is that you don't hear a booming bass line in the middle of a Celine Dion song, nor do you hear overly sparkly treble in a 50 cent rap. Everything is in its place, and nothing is overly emphasized, unless the song wants it to be so

If absolute neutrality is the goal, why not choose an Ety which I believe to be totally flat?
And, don't most of us choose the degree of added coloration we prefer?  What sounds good isn't
always the most technical, true?

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #5,688 of 16,931

Quote:
If absolute neutrality is the goal, why not choose an Ety which I believe to be totally flat?
And, don't most of us choose the degree of added coloration we prefer?  What sounds good isn't
always the most technical, true?

Etys really aren't completely neutral.... On the ety website the ER4S/B are listed as 92% neutral.  I think the treble and mids are very slightly emphasised.  The UERM, on the other hand, are 100% neutral.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #5,690 of 16,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by olear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The ER-4 is serrated, analytical, digital, the bass sounds like grenade shrapnels and the imaging is two-dimensional.

Quote:

And, don't most of us choose the degree of added coloration we prefer?

I think it's common not to know what that colouration is until it's been experienced.

Quote:

What sounds good isn't always the most technical, true?

If you could insert an IEM into your ears and it sounded just like a real-life concert that would sound pretty good.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #5,691 of 16,931
The Etys are pretty neutral, easily one of the most neutral IEMs. The problem is that it's slight coloration isn't in favor for a lot of listeners. I don't think it's that flawed of an IEM though, if a recording sounds thin, digital and harsh with them that's because of the recording. It's toward the bright side with slightly under-emphasized bass and closed stage, so it's of little engagement for a lot.  

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #5,693 of 16,931
olear I meant hypothetically hearing a pounding kick drum 3 metres away and a vocalist 10 metres away, not silly IE80 20cm head-stage.
tongue_smile.gif

Inks yeah I can see it was easily one of the best and most neutral IEM's ever, esp. for a single driver, until Vsonic, Hifiman, Final Audio etc. came around to rain on the parade.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #5,694 of 16,931
I still think it is.

I think the ER4P/S, are better than the GR07 and all the Hifimans I've tried (though it's a closer call with the RE262). On par with the A1/SA/SB, though I do give the GR10 the upper hand for my taste and technicality rating. 

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #5,696 of 16,931

Quote:
Hmm...

I haven't had had tips make differences that big unless they just didn't seal at all but I haven't owned that many different IEMs either.

Oh my, for some of us IEMers tips can make or break an IEM.  This isn't snake oil or psychoacoustics either.  There's a whole lot going on in that ear canal based on fit and all the stuff that makes that happen.  If anyone else would care to chime in, please.  See if you can discern a regular comply tip versus a cut down, foam trimmed tip.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #5,697 of 16,931

Quote:
You're always pushing that GR07 :wink:

Flat meaning neutral? ,  If yes, FX700 is not flat due to its spiked bass and treble? And Atrio M5 is not flat due to its bass spike?

I actually push the Ortofon EQ-5, but buy the GR-07's and get it over with
redface.gif

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #5,698 of 16,931
Quote:
Oh my, for some of us IEMers tips can make or break an IEM.  This isn't snake oil or psychoacoustics either.  There's a whole lot going on in that ear canal based on fit and all the stuff that makes that happen.  If anyone else would care to chime in, please.  See if you can discern a regular comply tip versus a cut down, foam trimmed tip.

I know the tips can change the sound but I'm just questioning if the magnitude of the change is just due to the tips.  There's a pretty big difference between "light and airy but with good bass extension" and "the bass almost knocked me out of my chair" and its not like I could have heard the 20Hz tone on the Chesky "Heartbeats" track if I didn't have a proper seal.

Maybe the the IEMs I've owned are just relatively insensitive to tips but I've never heard a difference that big.  Maybe we have ideas about how strong is "strong".  I thought it was weaker than my SE530s but I don't remember how much weaker.  Since it was so long ago I'm going by what I posted about it then.

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #5,699 of 16,931
Interesting to see the favourable report on at least one Skullcandy model from Joker- I vaguely recall reading something from Tyll or one of the other heavyweights claiming that the boss at Skullcandy has expressed an interest in making headphones that might evoke something other than derision among audiophiles. I'm not saying they have 'turned a corner', but its difficult to ignore a company that pushes that much product simply because 99% of it is utter crapola  :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back