Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 22, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #1,621 of 16,931
This is definitely more civil than when the first 2 SM3 threads got out of hands :)

Just out of curiosity but any plans to get the Nuforce NE-700X or the new(ish) ECCi earphone? I'm thinking of getting the Nuforce to be the more balanced universal at a reasonable price to my M2 and the ECCi PR401 (I think it's called that) is a bit too much to be spending.

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #1,622 of 16,931

Quote:
No fight whatsoever , i think this may be one of the very,very few times that people here have a different opinion form joker's excellent reviews and since this is xmas , is a good time to 'fight' it out in a good,positive way

On the contrary, people disagree with joker all the time. How many people would really rate the ck10 a 10/10? Very few. Many would give it high scores, but few would give 10/10. It's a minority opinion. That's completely fine and doesn't say anything bad about joker or anyone. It's great that one person has had a lot of experience and practice writing reviews, but it really doesn't give that person's opinion more validity. A civil discussion of different points of view about how an earphone sounds is what head-fi is more or less about.

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #1,623 of 16,931

Quote:
  Take any headphone and you will have supporters and detractors, for example the LDC-2, which is beloved by many, but not all.  If there was one correct, preferred sound signature, the all companies products would try to have their products sound that way, but they don't.   

This is a reasonable statement.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #1,624 of 16,931

Quote:
This is definitely more civil than when the first 2 SM3 threads got out of hands :)

Just out of curiosity but any plans to get the Nuforce NE-700X or the new(ish) ECCi earphone? I'm thinking of getting the Nuforce to be the more balanced universal at a reasonable price to my M2 and the ECCi PR401 (I think it's called that) is a bit too much to be spending.

There are two dead SM3 threads? I guess they are more controversial than I first thought.

Anyway, both NE-700X and PR401 on the way for me. Hopefully the PR401 will be the ECCI earphone that finally recaptures that Cyclone PR1 Pro refinement.

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #1,625 of 16,931
Filter mod guys, you have to try the filter mod, and I'm pretty sure that the SM3 will make MUCH more people happy!
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #1,626 of 16,931

Quote:
Filter mod guys, you have to try the filter mod, and I'm pretty sure that the SM3 will make MUCH more people happy!
biggrin.gif

Now see, thats the thing right there.  You get half the SM3 fan base saying that their stock SM3 is the greatest thing since sliced bread and rumors of treble recession or bass roll-off is imagined or a result of poor fit.  Then comes the other half saying removing the filters finally makes them just right.  Those of you doing the filter mod obviously don't know how to insert the SM3 properly I guess?  It's cool.  If the SM3 fans can't agree on how they sound I feel pretty good about my opinion of how I heard them.  Would the filter mod keep performers from playing behind me or on top of my head?  Just curious.   

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #1,627 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Now see, thats the thing right there.  You get half the SM3 fan base saying that their stock SM3 is the greatest thing since sliced bread and rumors of treble recession or bass roll-off is imagined or a result of poor fit.  Then comes the other half saying removing the filters finally makes them just right.  Those of you doing the filter mod obviously don't know how to insert the SM3 properly I guess?  It's cool.  If the SM3 fans can't agree on how they sound I feel pretty good about my opinion of how I heard them.  Would the filter mod keep performers from playing behind me or on top of my head?  Just curious.   

This was one of the funnier posts I've seen on head-fi. Kudos for making me physically laugh through a post (no offense at all--I'm serious, it was just funny 
o2smile.gif
).

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #1,630 of 16,931
RE262 is better than SM3, even disregarding the stoopid price differential. Add that into the mix that Earsonics don't even get a ticket for the bus to the ballpark.

This is the truth according to me.

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #1,631 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Not that simple, man. I was one of the first to say that there was something wrong with my SM3, and in the beginning, I really did not like them. A proper fit was really difficult to achieve. But even after finding out how to wear them correctly (with the right tips), I could not completely enjoy them. It took me quite a while before I got what was not completely right: the recessed upper mids. The fact is that when I  removed the filters, I understood that I could tailor the sound to remove the sensation of veil on the upper mids. That's exactly what it did, but I had to add some foam to tame the highs. And now I must say that I simply find them better than any other iem I heard (IE8 and RE-252 included). No fanboyism here, just personal experience and preference.
Now, I understand some people like the stock sound more, but I (and many others would, I'm sure) prefer the sound they give once modded. Simply because they are as many personal tastes as there are ears. Hum, actually, the half.

Quote:
Would the filter mod keep performers from playing behind me or on top of my head?  Just curious.

No, the soundstage is still very surrounding, but I actually really like this. I understand some may not.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #1,633 of 16,931

Quote:
@anaxilus & shane55, what iems would you recommend over the sm3 then? preferably something neutral and natural sounding. thanks for the advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Ironically we are both using the DBA-02.  If you can get a fit to give you bass and body on the DBA you are golden, otherwise not so much.  I also use its evil adopted brother the MD which is pretty close to the SM3 signature but less technically adept though better sounding to my preference.

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #1,634 of 16,931
Quote:
Quote:
@anaxilus & shane55, what iems would you recommend over the sm3 then? preferably something neutral and natural sounding. thanks for the advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Ironically we are both using the DBA-02.  If you can get a fit to give you bass and body on the DBA you are golden, otherwise not so much.  I also use its evil adopted brother the MD which is pretty close to the SM3 signature but less technically adept though better sounding to my preference.

Maybe also worth considering: Ortofon e-Q5 and Final Audio FI-BA-A1. Both sound more natural and transparent than the SM3 to my ears. At $250 and $270 they are also cheaper than the Earsonics, though more expensive than the DBA-02.

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #1,635 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed. DBA-02, as has been stated, is very fit / tip dependent for the best sound, but once achieved... oh yeah baby. (Details re. fit & tips through PM if you wish.) They are incredible... fast, clear, clean, bright... mostly neutral. Similar in overall sonic character to the DT880 / 600 Ohm, but without the hump at 8khz.

UM2... another excellent and underrated IEM. Round, robust, full-bodied while maintaining a very natural character. Slightly rolled-off in the highs.

I've always been interested in getting the UM3x. Music_4321 (who posted above, and hears things similarly to me) went there from the SM3. He liked the UM3x very much but may have moved on from there... I can't remember.

Another member who hears similarly to me has moved on to the JH5, and says they do everything but make him toast in the morning.
wink_face.gif
   But they're quite dear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back