Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Nov 29, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #4,411 of 4,841
Dec 13, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #4,421 of 4,841
I was idly browsing the 1964Ears website this morning, and noticed this curious remark:

The new V8 also features CenterDrive™, a more advanced balanced armature design where the “drive shaft” is attached to the center of the diaphragm. The result is a richer, deeper and more effortless bass reproduction.

Any comments, anyone?

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #4,422 of 4,841

Bass tubes are good old system, mid and treble tubes are metal, apparently copper.

Also, my dear friend MikePortnoy, I hate you /jk/

They look very very good I must say. I am extremely jealous.

Don't be my friend :) You still have the king of midrange :) 

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #4,423 of 4,841
  I was idly browsing the 1964Ears website this morning, and noticed this curious remark: Any comments, anyone?

This is what Vitaliy wrote:

CenterDriver is a balanced armature design where the drive shaft that pushes and pulls the diaphragm is attached in the middle (rather then off to the side, see pic). This design produces a more rich and responsive bass and improves the soundstage a bit.

I don't actually think it's anything special other than a natural progression of BA driver improvement, and mostly glossy marketing speak.

From the Sonion description of the 3000 series of BA receivers (including the 3300 and 3800):

The 3000 series is based on a completely new motor and diaphragm design. A well-balanced choice of armature and diaphragm properties made it possible to design a receiver with high output capability and large bandwidth. The E-shape armature provides high saturation level and excellent vibration properties. The symmetric motor design limits the force output along the armature to a very low level as shown in the ‘detailed performance information’ section. This results in ease of use with respect to suspending the receiver in an application. Especially in the dual configuration of the 3300 the vibration force is minimized by principle of cancellation. The two identical receiver halves will cancel out each other’s vibration force, greatly reducing mechanical feedback by 30 dB. The excellent vibration properties
and high output capability will allow the designer to develop higher gain instruments. The motor is provided with shock limiters in order to protect the armature for mechanical shock up to a survival rate of
90% at 15000 g. A 3000 series receiver built into a BTE style instrument will be sufficiently protected against drops up to 2.0 m (6.56’) in height. The wide band response is accomplished by a new diaphragm, designed to extend the frequency response curve up to 7.5 kHz. This feature makes the 3000 series receiver especially suitable for all modern DSP based instruments. The 3000 series receiver
is designed to be used with low output impedance amplifiers such as class D. Specific needs for class A and class B are not supported

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #4,424 of 4,841

Don't be my friend :) You still have the king of midrange :) 

Also vocals. Nothing can beat SE5way's vocal performance. Actually I like its all aspects but that BD4.2 seems seriously interesting. Of course Joe's review and overall score also plays with my mind too. Good thing is that I am still a poor student
rolleyes.gif

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #4,425 of 4,841

Also vocals. Nothing can beat SE5way's vocal performance. Actually I like its all aspects but that BD4.2 seems seriously interesting. Of course Joe's review and overall score also plays with my mind too. Good thing is that I am still a poor student
rolleyes.gif

Well, my offer's still open, AmberOzL - when I win the EuroMillions jackpot, I promise I'll buy you a new CIEM of you choosing.  Trouble is, I'm not sure when that will be
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back