Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Nov 26, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #4,396 of 4,841
Arf it depends, sometimes mids on h8pro are more forward than on EM32 but EM32 are more powerful. SE5 could be a good choice as they seem to convey power effortless

IMO SE 5ways Reference totally fits marcusdb requirements, except for his reservation that the doesn't like dark sound phones.

BTW, Harmony 8 Pro are more mid recessed than EM32???

H8P is a lot more forward at lower-treble region (5000-7000 Hz), leading to a slightly recessed upper mid (2000-4000 Hz), while EM32 is much linear from 2000-9000 Hz to my ears, creating a more of a coherent sound, and presentation. 

So which is more forward? depends on what you like. Generally speaking EM32 is more laid back, and H8P is more forward (specially string instruments). But for vocals, I would say EM32 is more evolving. Relatively speaking, H8P is shaper/edgier, but EM32 sounds like it has more grains.

In terms of power, EM32 > SE5 = H8P. But SE5 is really good at creating sub-bass impact~

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #4,398 of 4,841

H8P is a lot more forward at lower-treble region (5000-7000 Hz), leading to a slightly recessed upper mid (2000-4000 Hz), while EM32 is much linear from 2000-9000 Hz to my ears, creating a more of a coherent sound, and presentation. 

So which is more forward? depends on what you like. Generally speaking EM32 is more laid back, and H8P is more forward (specially string instruments). But for vocals, I would say EM32 is more evolving. Relatively speaking, H8P is shaper/edgier, but EM32 sounds like it has more grains.

In terms of power, EM32 > SE5 = H8P. But SE5 is really good at creating sub-bass impact~

In case anyone's wondering

Oh and BTW. 5-7kHz is not lower treble - it's just treble
lower treble could be something from around 2kHz to 4kHz
upper mids are range of 800-1,5kHz

That's probably why you cannot agree on sound with @shakur1996 
[Edit for source]
frequency-bands.jpg

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/frequency_ranges.htm

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #4,399 of 4,841
LOL. I honestly disagree with you Peter (and you know this) as to the "distribution" of frequency between bass, mids and treble
biggrin.gif

I'm basing my division of the frequencies on the chart available at this address: http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Subbass - up to 60 Hz
Bass - 60 to 250 Hz
Mids - 250 Hz to 4 kHz
Upper Mids - 4 khz to 6 kHz
Treble - 6 kHz to 20 kHz

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #4,400 of 4,841
  In case anyone's wondering

Oh and BTW. 5-7kHz is not lower treble - it's just treble
lower treble could be something from around 2kHz to 4kHz
upper mids are range of 800-1,5kHz

That's probably why you cannot agree on sound with @shakur1996 
[Edit for source]
frequency-bands.jpg

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/frequency_ranges.htm

eek.gif

For such a long time, I thought it was this..

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #4,402 of 4,841
Hmm...Peter look at the chart below the table and it is presenting somehow contradicting info i.e. at the down of this chart the bass line goes from 0 Hz to 250 Hz, midrange line goes from 250 Hz to around 7 kHz, but the treble line goes from 1 kHz to 20 kHz (and not from the end of midrange line). Actually the chart is consistent with the chart which was linked by me. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #4,403 of 4,841
  Hmm...Peter look at the chart below the table and it is presenting somehow contradicting info i.e. at the down of this chart the bass line goes from 0 Hz to 250 Hz, midrange line goes from 250 Hz to around 7 kHz, but the treble line goes from 1 kHz to 20 kHz (and not from the end of midrange line). Actually the chart is consistent with the chart which was linked by me. 

I think this chart is for ranges of speakers - notice woofer and tweeter in brackets. So called "midrange" speaker will typically cover 7kHz w/o problems. But typically in speakers tweeters are cut around 1-3kHz, in IEMs it's slightly different as drivers are typically more "fullrange" than actually tweeter, so you can have them cut at 1kHz and at 10kHz depending on your needs.
7kHz is by no means mid-range.
It would be logical to use vocals for midrange definition. typical male voice have fundamental note at 120-150Hz, female around 200Hz and child around 250Hz - upper notes you can articulate are probably not higher than 2kHz, we are not talking about harmonics though.

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #4,405 of 4,841

Which is pretty major, IMHO...

If SE5way functions correctly it is not that dark seriously. Unless there is a problem with tweeters or something, I wouldn't call it dark. It has a very black background and treble notes shines softly through this dark background. The whole dark, silent and quiet background gives a feeling like the SE5way sounds dark but actually (to my ears) it is not really dark. In treble some regions are quite forward and has an impact while some other regions are quite softer. I am not sure how to call it but it can be described as colored I suppose?

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #4,407 of 4,841
  Thanks again for the responses. I've just realised there was a mistake in my message. I meant the Noble Audio 4S and not 5S...

I thought you might have meant the Noble 4S, because from what I've read the 5S is quite different to the sound you are looking for. It might be a good choice for you and Noble Audio are having a Black Friday sale...

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #4,409 of 4,841
After many hours of back and forth between my toys I found my perfect IEM: the LKE2.10.5

The shimmering highs of the K10
The captivating mids of the SE-5
The tight and powerful bass of the LCD2

Now let me find my magic wand...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back