Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Apr 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #406 of 1,273
Just received my X-Sabre. Holy crap this thing is heavy. Built like a complete tank. It didn't come with a power cord though, no wires at all. Just the unit, a flash drive, and a user manual. Really no power cord???

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #407 of 1,273
Not all that unusual these days. I have tons of extras laying around.

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #408 of 1,273
Do you use aftermarket power cords? Am I crazy for using crappy power cords for my equipment? Not trying to start a huge debate just want a quick response. Unit sounds pretty decent out of the box. I will snap a picture later on. This is one sexy looking dac, the fit and finish of this thing is excellent. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #411 of 1,273
Do you use aftermarket power cords? Am I crazy for using crappy power cords for my equipment? Not trying to start a huge debate just want a quick response. Unit sounds pretty decent out of the box. I will snap a picture later on. This is one sexy looking dac, the fit and finish of this thing is excellent. 

I just use stuff that is included with other gear. I was into computers pretty heavily for a while so I have lots of cables from power supplies, etc.

I will be doing a full recable for my final rig once I do some measurements and will include power in that. I will be using Signal Cable which looks great, is built well, and very affordable. Should be able to fully cable my headphone and speaker rig for around $500-600. Only thing they don't do is digital cable like USB or HDMI.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #413 of 1,273
Some pics of the new bedside rig. V200 and X-Sabre go very well with each other. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #414 of 1,273
Time to find something new to buy, I'm no longer special! :D

Looks great, will be interested in your impressions when you get to it.

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #415 of 1,273
jronan2 - that's a great looking setup! Love that stand, it looks custom made for the X-Sabre (or any DAC of that size I guess). 

Switching gears, I took my X-Sabre apart last night. Kind of a hassle but not too bad overall. All I can say for now is that parts and design all seem well done. Definitely competitive in this price range. I'm trying to get the full review done but keep running into delays. Maybe next week?

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #417 of 1,273
Quote:
Some pics of the new bedside rig. V200 and X-Sabre go very well with each other. 

Very nice bedside setup you have going there.
Also notice you have the same IKEA bedside lamp I have downstairs.

I love signing for the delivery of my newest significant music purchase. How'd you enjoy the moment?
I'm sure the extra heft (and, therefore, implied build quality) must have made it a pleasure.

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #418 of 1,273
Unfortunately i am never home to receive my audio equipment, I'm usually stuck in an attic somewhere. The hardest part is to find someone to sign for the package. But its a great feeling getting home and having a new toy to play with. Build quality is probably the best Ive seen thus far, above Schiit's stardards, which are very well built. Only had about 4 or 5 hours listening, Arthur told me to give it at least 50 hours break in to really formulate an opinion.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #419 of 1,273
Quote:
X-Sabre is a bit higher up: more definition, better soundstage, deeper bass extension. Still, Parasound is quite nice for the money... like the Resonessence Concero, it's probably higher up than X-Sabre in terms of dollars to performance ratio. 

How does it perform compared to V800 or Anedio D2? We are very much anticipating your full review with such a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back