Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Mar 29, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #391 of 1,273
Not sure what you are looking for. I'm not knowledgeable about parts and such. It's impossible to see any of the parts as they are all on the tops of the boards and the bottom is the only part exposed with the panel off.

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #392 of 1,273
Hi.  Nice thread folks!  I wanted to join this discussion for two reasons:
1)  I will be getting John's unit for review when he gives it up from his cold dead hands.  My perspective is somewhat unique in that I own several DSD-capable DACs currently (Meitner and Mytek stack of three for multichannel) and have either headr or heard/reviewed several more (Sonore/eXD, Exasound E20, Benchmark Dac 2 among others and coming in soon, in addition to X-Sabre is a modified Mytek, the Chord QuteHD, Auralic Vega and the cost-no-object MSB Diamond DAC IV Plus).

2) there was, early in this thread, some interested parties comments about ripping DSD, etc.  I wrote the SACD Ripping Guide (which includes the tools and software to get set up rip and extract, etc) and have distributed it to hundreds on these forums so far.  I'd be more than happy to share it with you folks.  And happy to answer any questions about DSD extraction and playback, etc.  I am no expert, just experienced.  I also run the Audio Circle HiRez Music Circle (sub-forum) and have several threads/reviews we've started about such things as setting up JRiver for DSD, JRiver tips and techniques, building a CAPS music server, tagging DSF files (my recommenda over DFF file format), etc.  I also recently posted about creating the first consumer file-based computer audio setup for 5.1 multichannel pure native DSD playback (stacked set of 3 Mytek DACs and JRiver).  I realize multichannel is not a huge topic here on Head-Fi but it might interest some folks.

Anyway....I am looking forward to reviewing the X-Sabre.  Arthur has been very helpful and generous.  The under $2500 DSD-capable DAC market is getting swamped.  One project I am proud of is the work Jesus R (Sonore US) and I have done to begin a  DSD Database Project over on Google Docs.  Here is the link.  It includes, by the way, a link to my ripping guide at the bottom.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0

I look forward to the reviews mentioned here, and appreciate the unique perspective Head-Fi'rs have on DAC sound quality.  If it doesn't sound good on your great setups it has no chance in the big home rigs.
Ted

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #393 of 1,273
Btw, noticed on your spreadsheet you have 2L as only DSD64 but they also have DSD128 right next to it.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #394 of 1,273
Quote:
Btw, noticed on your spreadsheet you have 2L as only DSD64 but they also have DSD128 right next to it.

Thanks.  Morten added DXD128 at the beginning of the week, and added multichannel yesterday (in response to Oppos new firmware: 5.1 DSD file access via USB thumbdrive).  I added them in.

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #395 of 1,273
Hi Ted
Nice seeing you here on the head-fi as well.
I'm dying to read your review on Auralic's Vega, is it to be expected soon?

Jabbr

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #397 of 1,273
Quote:
Hi Ted

Jabbr

I'm waiting too
normal_smile .gif

@Ted pm sent.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #398 of 1,273
Quote:
Hi Ted

Jabbr

Hi.  I think I should have said it differently.  When I said "coming in soon" I meant the DACs are coming in soon.  :)  That is, I don;t have it yet.

PM sent.

Also, I misspoke about where my X-Sabre is coming from.  It is now gonna come straight from Arthur. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #399 of 1,273
Quote:
@Maxvla @Project86
Could you tell us what type of output I/V stage x-sabre use?
From your pictures is impossible to understand.
I think an opamp based one, but... who knows?

@Project86
How do you put x-sabre vs parasound zdac?

Thanks.

I still haven't found the time to remove all the boards and inspect the design itself. It's more complex than most DACs since everything needs to be removed rather than just taking of the cover and having a good view. I'm almost positive it is opamp based though - look at the specs. You don't easily get numbers like that from a discrete design, and if you do.... it will cost a lot more than the X-Sabre. 

X-Sabre is a bit higher up: more definition, better soundstage, deeper bass extension. Still, Parasound is quite nice for the money... like the Resonessence Concero, it's probably higher up than X-Sabre in terms of dollars to performance ratio. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #400 of 1,273
Quote:

I still haven't found the time to remove all the boards and inspect the design itself. It's more complex than most DACs since everything needs to be removed rather than just taking of the cover and having a good view. I'm almost positive it is opamp based though - look at the specs. You don't easily get numbers like that from a discrete design, and if you do.... it will cost a lot more than the X-Sabre. 

X-Sabre is a bit higher up: more definition, better soundstage, deeper bass extension. Still, Parasound is quite nice for the money... like the Resonessence Concero, it's probably higher up than X-Sabre in terms of dollars to performance ratio. 

Thank you!

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #402 of 1,273
Anyone with a pre-order get shipping notification yet?

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #404 of 1,273
Yeah I got a shipping notification earlier today, was shipped out from Hong Kong via DHL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back