Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 17, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #23,746 of 48,562
Well, I owned the X1 not too long ago and the K612 is definitely the more balanced and less bassy but to my ears, it offers the best of both worlds. Lots of immersion [very dynamic sound] but with great imaging and tonality [neutral and very holographic].
It really a very special gaming headphone [and a decent music can as well].
I suspect it's very hard to beat in terms of gaming performance + sound-whoring/immersion blend... I am not sure my soon to be HE-560 beats it here. It surely will in sheer music performance but for gaming purposes... might be a very interesting comparison [one I am eager to make].
Provided, you amp the K612 at least a little, that is. 
what amp would you guys recommend then with the akg k612 I'm assuming the amp goes with the astro mix amp pro?

May 17, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #23,747 of 48,562
what amp would you guys recommend then with the akg k612 I'm assuming the amp goes with the astro mix amp pro?

Yes, it goes with the mixamp.
I've only ever tried it with the Mstage, but that's probably over your budget [around 200USD] but I suspect cheaper Fiios would do well too [E11, E12 or even E9].
The HiFiMAN EF2A is a great entry level tube DAC/amp too for these.
That'd be my bet, maybe others can chime in.

May 17, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #23,748 of 48,562

I've only ever tried it with the Mstage, but that's probably over your budget [around 200USD] but I suspect cheaper Fiios would do well too [E11, E12 or even E9].

If you're just using it for gaming, grab a cheap E09k or Magni and call it a day.  The E12 is nice, but you can't use it while it's charging and if you don't need the portable-ness, it's not worth the money.

May 17, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #23,749 of 48,562
If you're just using it for gaming, grab a cheap E09k or Magni and call it a day.  The E12 is nice, but you can't use it while it's charging and if you don't need the portable-ness, it's not worth the money.

The E12 performs better, and has more power than the old desktop E9/E9K, so I disagree. Have you heard either to make such a claim?

Also, FiiO was able to isolate the noise issues during charging, and are now making a rev.3 (without a crossfeed switch) to fix it.

May 17, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #23,750 of 48,562
if it exceeds my budget for this month wud not having a amp effect my overall experience badly?

May 17, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #23,751 of 48,562
if it exceeds my budget for this month wud not having a amp effect my overall experience badly?

A bit... not drastically but to a degree of dynamics, yes. Mafni is also a good choice.

May 17, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #23,752 of 48,562
The E12 performs better, and has more power than the old desktop E9/E9K, so I disagree...

Also, FiiO was able to isolate the noise issues during charging, and are now making a rev.3 (without a crossfeed switch) to fix that issue.

If the Rev 3 isn't out yet, it's a moot point.  But that's really good to know, though... rev 3 might be something I'm interested in.

Magni vs E12, I think the Fiio is supposed to be warmer, right?  Not sure which pairs better with the K612.  I still hold that a desktop solution is better than a portable solution if you're not going to use the portable as a portable.

Using it for a month with no amp will give you a much better appreciation for how it sounds with an amp later.

May 17, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #23,753 of 48,562
If the Rev 3 isn't out yet, it's a moot point.  But that's really good to know, though... rev 3 might be something I'm interested in.

Magni vs E12, I think the Fiio is supposed to be warmer, right?  Not sure which pairs better with the K612.  I still hold that a desktop solution is better than a portable solution if you're not going to use the portable as a portable.

Using it for a month with no amp will give you a much better appreciation for how it sounds with an amp later.

My main point was that it performs better than the outdated desktop E9/E9K. You also missed my edit when I asked if you've heard either to make such a claim... so have you?

The M-Stage is levels above the E9/Magni, so don't be quick to assume that ALL desktop amps perform better than portables. The E12 is a hybrid portable, if you ask me.

What did Ev call it in his review? Zues in your pocket? :wink:

May 17, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #23,754 of 48,562
What did Ev call it in his review? Zues in your pocket?
wink.gif

My mind went to a very dark place with that comment. Until it has been removed from my brain I dislike you, sir.

May 17, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #23,757 of 48,562
Alooone and forsaken... I wouldn't wanna be in your shoes, paying for forgiveness, just saying 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Barter it down to 10$!

My services are provided free of charge though...

May 17, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #23,758 of 48,562
My main point was that it performs better than the outdated desktop E9/E9K. You also missed my edit when I asked if you've heard either to make such a claim... so have you?

The M-Stage is levels above the E9/Magni, so don't be quick to assume that ALL desktop amps perform better than portables. The E12 is a hybrid portable, if you ask me.

What did Ev call it in his review? Zues in your pocket?
wink.gif

You know I've never heard them.  But you also know that I've been reading up about amps extensively lately. 

I won't argue that it performs better than the E09k, as I've never heard either.  But I know the E12 sounds bad if you use it when it's plugged in and some people won't want to deal with charging it and unplugging it etc.  They just want something they can plug in and forget about it.  I'm just giving information so people can make an informed decision.

May 17, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #23,759 of 48,562
You know I've never heard them.  But you also know that I've been reading up about amps extensively lately. 

I won't argue that it performs better than the E09k, as I've never heard either.  But I know the E12 sounds bad if you use it when it's plugged in and some people won't want to deal with charging it and unplugging it etc.  They just want something they can plug in and forget about it.  I'm just giving information so people can make an informed decision.

Then make sure you mention "FWIR" when you give information about something you have yet to try yourself...

You may have read up on A LOT of information, but last time I checked sight and hearing are two different senses... :wink:

May 17, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #23,760 of 48,562
Alooone and forsaken... I wouldn't wanna be in your shoes, paying for forgiveness, just saying :veryevil:
Barter it down to 10$!

My services are provided free of charge though...

Y'all ain't gettin' schiit from me! Hehehehe...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back