Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 19, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #23,776 of 48,566
  Here are a couple K612 impressions:

K612

1. The K612 is more neutral than the K712, but not as neutral as the Q701 (going off memory). 
  2. Signature probably isn't that different than the HD600.
  3. When you put the K712 pads on the K612, it becomes warmer than the K712.  So the K612 drivers themselves are actually a little warmer sounding.
  4. The K612 is really hungry for volume.
  5. Midrange is a bit more forward on the K612 (compared to K712).
  6. Compared to K712, it's not quite as detailed and resolving, and has a little more grain to it. 
  7. Build quality feels a little cheaper than K712.
  8. Soundstage is solid and plenty good for this price.  The K712s is a bit more expansive sounding and with more layering and cleaner separation.  One of the premiums you get for paying extra (along with the better resolution and greater body). 

The K612 is damn good for ~$165.  No real faults with it.  It's got a nice balanced signature and good detail and soundstage for the price. It's not as good as the K712, but ya.  The K712 is reallly lovely. 

K612s comfort is pretty good too.  The pads aren't quite deep as the K712 or K702/Q701, but you can swap those pads on it if you like.   I believe the K612 pads don't use as dense a foam as the K702, as they seem to compress a quicker.  I remember the K702 pads being firmer. 

Overall the K612 is definitely of the best options under 200.

That's pretty much in line with my impressions of the K612 compared to the K712. Although I personally think the K612 is more neutral than the Q701. It does sound rather similar to the HD 600. What I really like about the K612 is how non-fatiguing the sound is. The K712 can be a tad fatiguing because of the treble at times.

May 19, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #23,777 of 48,566
  Here are a couple K612 impressions:

K612

1. The K612 is more neutral than the K712, but not as neutral as the Q701 (going off memory). 
  2. Signature probably isn't that different than the HD600.
  3. When you put the K712 pads on the K612, it becomes warmer than the K712.  So the K612 drivers themselves are actually a little warmer sounding.
  4. The K612 is really hungry for volume.
  5. Midrange is a bit more forward on the K612 (compared to K712).
  6. Compared to K712, it's not quite as detailed and resolving, and has a little more grain to it. 
  7. Build quality feels a little cheaper than K712.
  8. Soundstage is solid and plenty good for this price.  The K712s is a bit more expansive sounding and with more layering and cleaner separation.  One of the premiums you get for paying extra (along with the better resolution and greater body). 

The K612 is damn good for ~$165.  No real faults with it.  It's got a nice balanced signature and good detail and soundstage for the price. It's not as good as the K712, but ya.  The K712 is reallly lovely. 

K612s comfort is pretty good too.  The pads aren't quite deep as the K712 or K702/Q701, but you can swap those pads on it if you like.   I believe the K612 pads don't use as dense a foam as the K702, as they seem to compress a quicker.  I remember the K702 pads being firmer. 

Overall the K612 is definitely of the best options under 200.

Thanks for the impressions, chico! You were right, it's very much in line with what the rest of us have had to say about them

The SoundMAGIC HP200 might be joining that range, as well.

May 19, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #23,778 of 48,566
  Axel, did you ever get that Geek Pulse amp with the 3D effect? 

I'd be curious to compare it with the iCan to see which 3D effect is better...

I don't expect to have that in hand until fall or winter, honestly. The Geek Out has begun shipping to people who backed at the same time as I did, so I should have that soon-ish. Hopefully not too much longer. I'll give you a shout when it comes in and we can do a mini-meet at my place. I know a few others in the area who may show up for an afternoon.

The 3D functionality may only work when running through the DAC portion of the Pulse. That's a good question for me to bring to the development team, actually. I'll give them a buzz and see what they say.

I know, lol... that's why I asked... *sigh*

Need one for the K612 when it returns.

Well I could hold on to your K612 for 3 weeks while you wait for it. :wink:

May 19, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #23,779 of 48,566
COol.

May 19, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #23,780 of 48,566

Well I could hold on to your K612 for 3 weeks while you wait for it. :wink:

Sure, just send your L2 to compare with the HP200 to hold me over, till then... 
wink_face.gif

May 19, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #23,782 of 48,566
I just bought the akg 712k and now I think I will buy the schiit magni / modi combo, do I need to buy anny extra cables too pair them up with the headphones and which type? I have a laptop with headphone/mic combo jack, do i need an adepter for this? Also there are two versions of the modi, one with usb and one with optical, which is best?

thanks in advance :)

May 19, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #23,783 of 48,566
  I just bought the akg 712k and now I think I will buy the schiit magni / modi combo, do I need to buy anny extra cables too pair them up with the headphones and which type? I have a laptop with headphone/mic combo jack, do i need an adepter for this? Also there are two versions of the modi, one with usb and one with optical, which is best?

thanks in advance :)

Has your laptop got optical out or is it just usb? you will need a rca cable if it doesn't come with one!

May 19, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #23,785 of 48,566
  thanks for the quick reply
no it dose not have optical out.. but when the new nvidia 8xx serie, i think gonna buy a new pc that have optical out :p

Get the one with the usb and some decent rca cables and your good to go(look on the "Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier" thread and check if it comes with a usb cable)..you can always get a mic later on!

May 19, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #23,789 of 48,566

Have a look on the schiit website and look for PYST Cables, you will need a usb cable and rca..they are $20 for the rca and $20 for the usb!

Pyst cables are pretty stiff. If the connection requires a relatively sharp U-turn them it can get hairy. They are also pretty expensive for what you're getting. They are well made so it's not a bad choice.

You can make a better pair for cheaper if you have a soldering iron and a hour or two. Just pick up some Canare L-4E5C and some plugs of choice.
Monoprice is a decent option but they don't offer them quite as short. Cheaper, but still heavy and fairly stiff.

May 19, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #23,790 of 48,566

Have a look on the schiit website and look for PYST Cables, you will need a usb cable and rca..they are $20 for the rca and $20 for the usb!

Pyst cables are pretty stiff. If the connection requires a relatively sharp U-turn them it can get hairy. They are also pretty expensive for what you're getting. They are well made so it's not a bad choice.

You can make a better pair for cheaper if you have a soldering iron and a hour or two. Just pick up some Canare L-4E5C and some plugs of choice.
Monoprice is a decent option but they don't offer them quite as short. Cheaper, but still heavy and fairly stiff.

Thanks for the hlep!
I would like some higher qualety cables if i not to expensive tho :p. Do not you know of someone that is decent quality and easily bendable?
Found this site that makes some awsome lokking custom cables, but sadly it looks like they do not make rca cables: (

Users who are viewing this thread

Back