Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 2, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #34,786 of 48,562
Pulse, and Skullcandy Crusher have bass transducers like that. It's a nifty gimmick, but overall, it's just that a gimmick that doesn't help gaming in any way. I liked the Crusher. Just wouldn't use them for gaming as the vibration started getting annoying.

Get a planarmagnetic and eq bass. You'll get all the sub-30hz rumble you want. HE-400 is fantastic for that, as is the older LCD2.

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #34,787 of 48,562
Pulse, and Skullcandy Crusher have bass transducers like that. It's a nifty gimmick, but overall, it's just that a gimmick that doesn't help gaming in any way. I liked the Crusher. Just wouldn't use them for gaming as the vibration started getting annoying.

Get a planarmagnetic and eq bass. You'll get all the sub-30hz rumble you want. HE-400 is fantastic for that, as is the older LCD2.

I've tried all of those. The Kannon is legit.

I'm a pretty serious gamer as well being a game designer at Blizzard. :wink:

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #34,788 of 48,562
So you've gone and used the older HE400 and LCD2, EQ-ed bass and tested next to the Kannon? Because I'm doubting this.

Bass isn't all the sudden going to give you an advantage in any shape or form. It adds to immersion, not much more. As long as a headphone has an audible tone for bass down to whatever depths you think are important, 'feeling' it doesn't add anything. Planars are fantastic in that they are ruler flat down to the very bottom depths of sound (particularly the older planars).

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #34,789 of 48,562
Hey MLE, earlier you recommended a Xonst U3 to send a digital signal with Dolby Surround to an external DAC. I'm using an Oppo HA1 right now and also considering a discrete way of sending a digital signal with surround to it. Do you believe the U3 is the best option or is there something better at a higher price point? I thought I recalled some people saying SBX is better than Dolby Surround but I might be mistaken.

I'm currently using Razer Surround's software to send a surround signal to the Oppo HA1 via USB. Would the Xonar U3 or something else be a noticeable improvement? Thanks!

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #34,790 of 48,562
So you've gone and used the older HE400 and LCD2, EQ-ed bass and tested next to the Kannon? Because I'm doubting this.

I have not compared them head to head. I have, however, spent hundreds--perhaps thousands--of hours testing bass-worthy headphones and I'm very adept as using EQ to find the potential of headphones. If you're familiar with the JVC HA-SZ2000, the Taction Kannons are on the same playing field in physical vibration but don't need the crazy volume or EQ the JVCs do.

Bass isn't all the sudden going to give you an advantage in any shape or form. It adds to immersion, not much more. As long as a headphone has an audible tone for bass down to whatever depths you think are important, 'feeling' it doesn't add anything. Planars are fantastic in that they are ruler flat down to the very bottom depths of sound (particularly the older planars).

That is fair. Soundstage and being able to hear footsteps clearly actually does more for improving awareness in games. The physical vibration (not the bass itself) does, however, improve my own reaction time to bullets (we react faster to physical stimulus than auditory). The Taction tech is very accurate and positional in how it works. You have to feel it to believe it. If the Kickstarter succeeds, I'll send them to you for an audition.

Planars are indeed very good at reproducing audible bass. 

Even more interesting than the first Kannons for gaming are the open variant that I also got to try. They were Audio-Technica AD700x headphones with the Taction driver, so you got the incredible positional audio and the physical bass. If the Kickstarter succeeds, hopefully they do the open version.

These first Kannons are some sort of custom tuned OEM version of the M50 or M50x driver. I haven't been able to confirm for sure, though. The prototype I heard was definitely a tuned M50(x) driver, but it's possible production units are going to be different.

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #34,791 of 48,562
So I'm in the market for some new headphones. Primarily for music, but I'll also use them for gaming, to replace the HD380Pro's I currently use (which are "okay").

Being primarily for music (listening and production) I want them to be reasonably fun to listen to, but not too V shaped (I enjoy the sound of the DT770, for instance, but the treble tires me after a while). The HD380's I find to be generally nice, but I wan't something open-backed after listening to my housemates HD600's.

Looking up to maybe £250 at most. Preferably not more than £200.

Also I should add that I don't currently have Dolby SS, I've always played FPS stereo (for about 12 years) and it's what I'm used to. But I'm thinking about giving it a go...

I've narrowed down to the following (which are basically ones that scored pretty good on here, and also have pretty good reps in hi-fi reviews):

- BeyerDynamic DT990 Premium (250 Ohm) - These seem popular. But I'm not sure if the treble will be too much for me, if I felt that way about the DT770's?

- Philips Fidelio X2 - This would've been my go to if it wasn't for the current quality control issues etc that have put me off buying them...

- Hifiman HE400S - By all accounts these are very good for music, but maybe not so much for gaming. Has anyone used them? I'm particularly drawn to them being planar magnetic and working on both my phone, and audio interfaces (with higher impedances).

- AKG K712 - I've never really listened to any of the AKG open-back headphones, I gather they're quite clinical. These are the bassier of the bunch (correct me if I'm wrong). MLE gives them a good review here, but will I enjoy listening to music on them too?

Any comments, particularly on the HE400S. I'm leaning towards either that or the DT990. The K712's are a bit of a wildcard.

Open to other suggestions!

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #34,792 of 48,562
I've tried the Skullcandy Krusher twice. I don't know if it's bone conduction effect, or the driver or simply my delusions but it sounded as if the vibrations were drowning the rest of the sound out.
  So I'm in the market for some new headphones. Primarily for music, but I'll also use them for gaming, to replace the HD380Pro's I currently use (which are "okay").

(...)

Stuff like that is easier if You give us Your budget.

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #34,793 of 48,562

Stuff like that is easier if You give us Your budget.

Ah of course. 

Around £200-£250 at most I expect. 

Also, and edited my original post to say, I don't currently play with Dolby SS, but I'm thinking about giving a Mixamp a go. So any savings will go towards that, but I'd prioritise having good headphones over it (because they're for music too).

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #34,794 of 48,562

Being primarily for music (listening and production) I want them to be reasonably fun to listen to, but not too V shaped (I enjoy the sound of the DT770, for instance, but the treble tires me after a while). The HD380's I find to be generally nice, but I wan't something open-backed after listening to my housemates HD600's.

Also I should add that I don't currently have Dolby SS, I've always played FPS stereo (for about 12 years) and it's what I'm used to. But I'm thinking about giving it a go...

I've narrowed down to the following (which are basically ones that scored pretty good on here, and also have pretty good reps in hi-fi reviews):

- BeyerDynamic DT990 Premium (250 Ohm) - These seem popular. But I'm not sure if the treble will be too much for me, if I felt that way about the DT770's?

- Philips Fidelio X2 - This would've been my go to if it wasn't for the current quality control issues etc that have put me off buying them...

- Hifiman HE400S - By all accounts these are very good for music, but maybe not so much for gaming. Has anyone used them? I'm particularly drawn to them being planar magnetic and working on both my phone, and audio interfaces (with higher impedances).

- AKG K712 - I've never really listened to any of the AKG open-back headphones, I gather they're quite clinical. These are the bassier of the bunch (correct me if I'm wrong). MLE gives them a good review here, but will I enjoy listening to music on them too?

Any comments, particularly on the HE400S. I'm leaning towards either that or the DT990. The K712's are a bit of a wildcard.

I think your best bet is to buy a used pair of the X2's on the classifieds here at headfi.
Most of your quality concerns will be on the original buyer and they will sound good off your phone. Not to mention you may save a few bucks....oh yeah easy to add a mic too.

If u didn't like the dt770 treble, you for sure won't like the 990's. If you are concerned about bass on the k712's for music there probably won't be enough. And while the Hifiman 400S are great sounding headphones you may find the soundstage and positioning lacking.

Just my 2 cents

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #34,796 of 48,562
  The images of the connection diagrams are way too small to read, and it's not possible to enlarge by clicking on them.

Now You should be able to enlarge them.

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #34,798 of 48,562
In your general price range, I'll have to say that X2s are probably your best bet, or maybe a pair of K7XXs.

Personally, I would say save up for the K712s if bass isn't an issue.

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #34,799 of 48,562
Hey MLE, earlier you recommended a Xonst U3 to send a digital signal with Dolby Surround to an external DAC. I'm using an Oppo HA1 right now and also considering a discrete way of sending a digital signal with surround to it. Do you believe the U3 is the best option or is there something better at a higher price point? I thought I recalled some people saying SBX is better than Dolby Surround but I might be mistaken.

I'm currently using Razer Surround's software to send a surround signal to the Oppo HA1 via USB. Would the Xonar U3 or something else be a noticeable improvement? Thanks!

Hey imac2much,
Using the optical output of the Xonar U3, or optical out of any other device, basically means you aren't using much but the processing... and Dolby Headphone processing is identical no matter what hardware you use (so long as you're using mode 2, which is the only option for Mixamp and DSS). So, paying more than the U3 if Dolby Headphone is what you want, won't net you any improvement.

I'm the guy (or one of the earlier guys) who prefers SBX processing. So, I'd probably get Creative's Omni, though right now I use the X7. A lot a lot. You know, I like Dolby Headphone too, but for my taste I prefer SBX for less reverb and more crisp notes/sounds. Mad Lust's ears hear deeper distance rear cues so he likes that, and the reverb doesn't bother him. Nameless PFG best likes CMSS3D! In the end, I theorize that we all hear a bit differently, and will prefer different things.

That said, I bet DH or SBX would both be on a higher technical level than Razer surround. Razer gives you a taste of virtual surround, but it's not even or refined and has funny holes in the imaging... at least the launch version. It's entirely possible they improved.

Ultimate headphone surround = Smyth Realizer. That thing is an all-in-one, with HDMI and other inputs, head-tracking for basically Audio VR, a great DAC, amp, and other goodies. You actually calibrate it when you buy by going to a theater (or something) and have Smyth techs put a mic in your ear, and they record how YOUR ear hears sounds coming from different angles and make that be the algorithm for changing surround content. Hyper realistic. And pretty well over $1k I think

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #34,800 of 48,562
I have not compared them head to head. I have, however, spent hundreds--perhaps thousands--of hours testing bass-worthy headphones and I'm very adept as using EQ to find the potential of headphones. If you're familiar with the JVC HA-SZ2000, the Taction Kannons are on the same playing field in physical vibration but don't need the crazy volume or EQ the JVCs do.

That is fair. Soundstage and being able to hear footsteps clearly actually does more for improving awareness in games. The physical vibration (not the bass itself) does, however, improve my own reaction time to bullets (we react faster to physical stimulus than auditory). The Taction tech is very accurate and positional in how it works. You have to feel it to believe it. If the Kickstarter succeeds, I'll send them to you for an audition.

Planars are indeed very good at reproducing audible bass. 

Even more interesting than the first Kannons for gaming are the open variant that I also got to try. They were Audio-Technica AD700x headphones with the Taction driver, so you got the incredible positional audio and the physical bass. If the Kickstarter succeeds, hopefully they do the open version.

These first Kannons are some sort of custom tuned OEM version of the M50 or M50x driver. I haven't been able to confirm for sure, though. The prototype I heard was definitely a tuned M50(x) driver, but it's possible production units are going to be different.

It's easy to get thousands of hours listening to different bassy headphones. :wink:
Well, not really, I get headaches sometimes. But yeah, it follows that if a grenade sound effect goes "BOOM!" and makes you instinctively react to that because you physically felt your eardrums die a bit, then you're already reacting to that and unable to also hear the guy running up to shoot you. It fills your auditory attention.

I do think it's cool that there is a market for companies to try out new things and explore audio. This could turn out to be big or bust, but at least ideas are being had and tried. I do agree with Mad that this particular feature is not tactical and not for me, but someone might like the tactile sensation for pure subjective enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back