Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 13, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #40,726 of 48,562
Thanks for the input. 800 is $1093 usd on Amazon right now..Seems like used ones on eBay don't go for much less than that.

I did get a chance to listen to a pair of HD800 a couple years ago, and they really do sound amazing. I have too many open back headphones that pretty much do the same thing. Would be nice to scale the lot back to one or two and have the 800's be the daily driver.

If you’re willing to buy used, try the classifieds here on Head-Fi. I bought a pair that were already modded for under $800 about a year and a half ago from a user here. They basically looked new and came with all of the original packaging.

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #40,728 of 48,562
HD800 will probably be my next audio purchase. I won't bother until my A16 arrives, as my HE-X V2s I'm beyond happy with. I'm more a planar guy, and these have a huge soundstage as well. They're a steal at their close out pricing.

Still curious about HD800 and the only way to know is to just buy them. Maybe a Christmas present to myself, lol. Hopefully I'll have had the A16 for a few months by then, but who knows anything with it's shipping window. Really want to know how to use it and get everything out of it first.

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #40,730 of 48,562
Lol, it's terrible. I know a few are in this thread as well. I flip through looking for actually updates. I skip all the doom and gloom.

HD800 is the headphone they use with it. That's why I think I "need" to get one

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #40,732 of 48,562
Lol, it's terrible. I know a few are in this thread as well. I flip through looking for actually updates. I skip all the doom and gloom.

HD800 is the headphone they use with it. That's why I think I "need" to get one
I'm on the same boat. Pre-ordered the A16 and considering the HD 800 because that's what they use, plus it has to sound great for gaming.

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #40,734 of 48,562
I'm on the same boat. Pre-ordered the A16 and considering the HD 800 because that's what they use, plus it has to sound great for gaming.

Same here, will try a few Senns with the Realiser.

I actually built my whole system around the upcoming Realiser.
PS4, Xbox, Mac and PC for inputs,
Output video from Realiser to a 65" flatscreen. Mac And PC will be connected to a 3 monitor setup as well.
Audio output for the monitors will be a Yarra connected to Realiser.
Audio output for the TV will be either a Yarra as well or the upcoming Sennheiser soundbar.
Both Yarra's will be connected to 1 sub, won't use the one that's shipped with the Yarras.
And headphone output of course.
Man cave FTW! :)

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #40,736 of 48,562
I have a Bottlehead Crack w/ speedball, and the X7, but some people say the crack doesn't pair as well with the 800 as it does say the 650. I'd mostly be using it solely with the X7 though..

Seems from reading about the french mod, you could get some of that bass in the HD800, but then you have to modify your $1000+ pair of headphones...

What VSS are you using with your 800S? In the Creative software you could turn down the surround for SBX, and it should make things feel a little less spaced out.

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #40,737 of 48,562
I don't know much about the mod, but I don't think its expensive or difficult to do, may be wrong?

I would totally try the Crack with the X7. I like HD800 and Crack combo.

I'm using the X7 as well. I never messed with the SBX settings! i'll give it a go next time I fire it up. Thanks for telling me about it, I never thought about it :face_palm:

BTW I am currently hooking up the X7 to my Liquid Carbon and have been enjoying that with the HD800. Seems to take some bite out out of them, and I like that.:ok_hand:

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #40,738 of 48,562
It seems like a pretty simple mod.

Mess around with those settings and you can dial in your surround preferences. Could play with the EQ as well to make footsteps more apparent as well.

Thanks for the input. Something to think about. I have the speedball upgrade for the crack, but I haven't installed it yet. Just been listening to the base model for now..

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #40,739 of 48,562
I have the X7 hooked up to an iFi iCAN, which does well with the HD800S (to my ears anywway), SBX at 100%. I've tried lower, like 70%, and didn't notice much of a difference to be honest. I like the huge spaciousness feeling personally and SBX never gets too reverb-y for me (compared to other DSP's).

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #40,740 of 48,562
It seems like a pretty simple mod.

Mess around with those settings and you can dial in your surround preferences. Could play with the EQ as well to make footsteps more apparent as well.

Thanks for the input. Something to think about. I have the speedball upgrade for the crack, but I haven't installed it yet. Just been listening to the base model for now..
Did the mod on both sides in less than 15 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back