Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 6, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #40,696 of 48,562
It would be nice if Windows audio settings weren't so damn opaque and multi-layered with seemingly duplicative settings pages. (E.g. the new audio device panel you get when you right click and select Sound Settings, but you can still find the "old" control panel box by clicking "Sound Control Panel" on that page... Ugh.)

That's windows for you, inconsistent UI and a hard time choosing if it's an OS for PC or Tablets... :)

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #40,697 of 48,562
Thank you! The answer I was looking for. How did you find that out? My google-fu must be weak.

edit: I'll answer my own question: the Kickstarter page FAQ includes an answer saying Waves Nx reports itself as a "7.1 soundcard" to Windows. I assume Mobius is thus doing the exact same.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/waves/waves-nx-3d-audio-on-any-headphones/faqs

It would be nice if Windows audio settings weren't so damn opaque and multi-layered with seemingly duplicative settings pages. (E.g. the new audio device panel you get when you right click and select Sound Settings, but you can still find the "old" control panel box by clicking "Sound Control Panel" on that page... Ugh.)

I meant 7.1

proof for instance is Titanfall 2:
titanfall2rni5x.png

Aug 6, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #40,699 of 48,562
I wonder why Dolby Access wasn't setup like WavesNX. Report as a 7.1 device and skip 7.1 when Atmos streams are input. Like old X-Fi cards would drop 5.1/7.1 virtualization once OpenAL was active and instead rendered object-based.

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #40,701 of 48,562
That's one reason I like how the GSX1000 and the Mobius does it. At the driver level. The Creative X7 is defaulted to stereo, so people who don't know to go to the sound settings in windows or forget, are not getting the proper experience.

Doesn't the GSX1000 require the same windows setting change? It's stated in its manual.

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #40,702 of 48,562
Doesn't the GSX1000 require the same windows setting change? It's stated in its manual.

There was a while when Windows was putting it back to 2.0 on reboot.

Not sure if it's still happening or not.

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #40,703 of 48,562
There was a while when Windows was putting it back to 2.0 on reboot.

Not sure if it's still happening or not.

No I meant during the initial setup. It seems like if someone forgets to change the number of speakers initially, it would not be the proper experience, which MLE was implying that the GSX1000 was free from.

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #40,704 of 48,562
No I meant during the initial setup. It seems like if someone forgets to change the number of speakers initially, it would not be the proper experience, which MLE was implying that the GSX1000 was free from.

https://assets.sennheiser.com/globa...1000_UserGuide_A03_1017_SP19_version1_INT.pdf

On page 9 of the instruction manual, there's instructions to set the Windows Sound config to the 7.1 speaker setup.
However, i'm not sure if there's a difference in sound when Windows is in 2.0 or 7.1, when the GSX 1000 is in 7.1 mode.
I think there is, but i can't confirm it since i'm at work.

Aug 7, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #40,705 of 48,562
https://assets.sennheiser.com/globa...1000_UserGuide_A03_1017_SP19_version1_INT.pdf

On page 9 of the instruction manual, there's instructions to set the Windows Sound config to the 7.1 speaker setup.
However, i'm not sure if there's a difference in sound when Windows is in 2.0 or 7.1, when the GSX 1000 is in 7.1 mode.
I think there is, but i can't confirm it since i'm at work.
7.1 is set in windows so that games that do not offer manual sound output settings default to 7.1 instead of 2.0

Aug 8, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #40,707 of 48,562
I posted this on reddit but you guys seem more active so im posting this here too. I need help on upgrading my setup for PUBG and future gaming

So I play a lot of PUBG recently and Ive been wondering how to improve my setup in order to better detect enemy position through sound cues. I realize that this game has its audio files coded as stereo, but this is just one game, I will definitely be using my hardware on other future games.

This is my usual set up:

MSI GS40 6QE headphone jack, apparently the laptop uses something called (ESS SABRE HiFi DAC)

For headphones, I now use my RHA MA750 iems since they offer better isolation and are more comfortable in the summer.

In the winter, I use my AKG k550 with Brainwavz angled velour pads. However, these do not offer good isolation anymore despite being closed back headphones due to the new pads having worse isolation (old pads are dead, couldnt replace them at all) and probably also because I wear glasses and the temple/temple tips prevent my pads from getting a full close around my ears.

Ive been wondering how to improve my setup for my gaming needs (7.1 surround sound?) while not sacrificing or even possibly upgrading my usual music/movie sessions.

I originally began research into Senns GSP series, mainly through HardwareCanuck's videos on it

Originally, I would prefer closed-back headphones but after these, and especially after considering the GSP500s, my preference begun shifting towards open-back headphones since I never got proper isolation from my AKG k550s or even my super old AKG k271s, so I begun considering open-back headphones.

During my research, I also noticed the GSX 1000, and Ive been wondering about the benefits a proper DAC/AMP, possibly even one thats geared towards gaming (while retaining general music/movie qualities) would be a good idea, but I do think the GSX 1000s is a bit expensive for a minor gaming upgrade.

So my thoughts are this now - If I want proper isolation now Id just use my RHAs - I absolutely love them and they do their job well, for travel or for general use. I am considering whether I should get the GSP 500s as a replacement for home/gaming usage pair of headphones and also as my first open-back headphones, and I am also looking for a proper amp/dac for gaming and general usage. I'm also thinking about the GSX 1000s since you guys seem to love them so much o_O

Aug 8, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #40,708 of 48,562
With the gsx1000, it's game>OS>gsx1000, so that whole pathway has to be 7.1

but in the case of sonic for headphones, the processing happens before the OS outputs it, so only the game needs to be 7.1.
Yeah but if the game does not offer manual audio output swtting it will output whatever format is set at OS level.

Aug 11, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #40,709 of 48,562
If you manually toggle 2 channel on the GSX and check Windows, the configure option will show two speakers. If on the GSX you toggle 7.1, Windows will automatically show 7 speakers in the configure option. So this is why I said you don't need to manually do ot in Windows.

Now, was this always the case? I don't know.

On the X7 you definitely need to manually adjust it in Windows.

Btw, my X7 still has the issue of sometimes upon turning it on, the internal mic will be enabled (I can literally hear the room until I mute the muc), as well as one channel being at 50% volume and the other at 100% for certain sources in the Mixer menu. Also the actual volume of speakers or headphone are maxed out, so if you play anything without adjusting first, prepare to be scared to death and/or damage your gear.

I'm currently in contact with Creative, so I should bring this up to them.

I don't use the X7 much nowadays, but it's still something that always has me checking every time I turn it on.

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #40,710 of 48,562
That is unacceptable imho, has anyone else had this issues on OSX or is it only windows users? If so it seems to be a driver/software issue. I have not had any issues with volume or mic on my X7 but i have not used it on windows for more than 5min to update the firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back