Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 17, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #40,756 of 48,562
I got something that I can't talk about yet, but all I can say is that those of you looking into gaming virtual surround amps like the Mixamp and what have you, there is something coming that even on my first day of use is gonna make the Mixamp obsolete especially if you want virtual surround but may wanna use either your own dac (with spdif optical input), or your own amps without double amping.

Think of it like the X7, but more cost effective. And it works for everything like the X7. A cheaper alternative. You won't need it if you already have the X7.

I'm excited about it. It's gonna make it easier for people who can't afford the X7. :)

I'll mention what it is in less than two weeks. The review probably won't be done then but I will at least let you know what it is.

Sounds good, I'm looking for a VSS that I can use my own dac and amp with without double amping. Can the X7 do that? Is the VSS in this new item your talking about do as good or better job than X7? How does the X7 and this item compare to sonic surround and dolby atmos software?

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #40,757 of 48,562
Anyway, I'll be very happy if this device allows me to skip the x7 entirely (I miss it for consoles) while costing (much?) less, since I don't need any analog parts except maybe the moic.

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #40,758 of 48,562
Sounds good, I'm looking for a VSS that I can use my own dac and amp with without double amping. Can the X7 do that? Is the VSS in this new item your talking about do as good or better job than X7? How does the X7 and this item compare to sonic surround and dolby atmos software?

Yes you can output the VSS processing thru optical out of the X7.

The Windows Sonic Surround and Dolby Atmos for headphones is not at all comparable to SBX, GSX or even dolby headphone (in hardware solutions like the mixamp)

Aug 17, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #40,759 of 48,562
Yes you can output the VSS processing thru optical out of the X7.

The Windows Sonic Surround and Dolby Atmos for headphones is not at all comparable to SBX, GSX or even dolby headphone (in hardware solutions like the mixamp)

Ok, good to know. Didn't know there was a big difference between software and hardware VSS. Which hardware solution is regarded to be the best in accuracy for surround that lets me also use my own dac and amp?

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #40,761 of 48,562
Which hardware solution is regarded to be the best in accuracy for surround that lets me also use my own dac and amp?

I think a few soundblaster soundcards do.

X7 definitely does.

Maybe a Creative thing?

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #40,762 of 48,562
I won't answer all those questions regarding this new item since it ain't out yet, and it's best just to wait until all testing is done.

As for VSS solutions: my faves in terms of tricking my brain and accuracy:

Virtual surround accuracy. Spots 1-4 are so close to one another, you really can go with any and get a real sense of surround from all sides

1. GSX (One + symbol on the GSX1000, which sounds like 2/3 room size. Two ++ symbols has too much reverb)
2. Dolby Headphone (Dolby Headphone 2, which is 2/3 room of it's surround. DH3 too much reverb. Overally, despite its drawbacks, I find it very accurate in surround positioning)
3. Audeze Mobius (default is 35% Room Ambience, I'm using 41%, this sounds closer to DH2 and GSX one +. 50% and up has too much reverb. The more I use it, more I feel that Audeze got the surround right ALREADY.)
4. SBX (rear cues a little closer to you than the top 3. Farther = easier to discern front and backl, though SBX is still stellar here. SBX has the least reverb and can maxed out at 100% for the surround without drawbacks)
5. THX TruStudio (like SBX but IIRC, the off angle positional cues weren't accurate. So a 1 o/clock sound cue sounded closer to 3 o'clock, etc.)
6. Razer, CMSS 3D, the rest. I only briefly tested these under HeSuVi and didn't like them. I can't say much as it's the least experience I have.

Worth noting: https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/

Darin Fong's Out Of Your Head has various virtual surround emulated speaker setups that sound EXCEPTIONALLY good. It works. Problem is, it's software and limited to PC. But having used it for a bit, it definitely belongs on the list. I don't have enough experience with it to say where I would place it, but if you're PC only and don't want devices, it is a good alternative with some presets having really good cues, and others not so much. There's many to play with however. It's a bit costly though for just software, hence why I didn't put much focus on it when I was in direct contact with them. I should've gone more in depth. That was a different time and me.

Virtual Surround Sound Quality

1. SBX (cleanest sounding)
2. GSX and Mobius (comparable in quality of the sound)
3. THX Tru Studio (despite weaker cues, the sound quality is good)
4. Dolby Headphone (infamous for being a bit too reverb heavy, and distinctly warmer tonality compared to the others.)

Overall

1. SBX (I feel it has most of everything)
2. GSX (Until it's available on consoles, its use case is too limited
3. Mobius (Like GSX, its limited to PC which is a shame, as it is exceptionally good)
4. Dolby Headphone (it's positional accuracy is top notch, but the sound is heavily colored and echoey, so it's polarizing)

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #40,763 of 48,562
That's all I'll say for now lol. I haven't put it through the ringer yet. But the basics.

You get much more volume than the GSX1000 so it should be at least good in getting the AKG K700 variants at a good volume.
We need DSD
Direct
Stream of
Details

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #40,766 of 48,562
Ive got my iPod Touch hooked up to the soundblaster x7 via the thunderbolt usb to the host input on the side of the x7. Highest bit rate I’ve been able to get to play is 16 bit 48 kHz.

From the research I’ve done, higher resolutions are only avail via the usb on the rear of the x7 , to pc or Mac.

Anyone know any different work arounds or solutions to this?
Thanks in advance!

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #40,767 of 48,562
Considering Im on a budget, I'm looking for a DTS 5.1+ headset -> DTS Surround Headphone adapters + 2 track wireless headset, or all-in-ones that optimize directional sound well. I found the Turtle Beach x42 works well for all my gaming needs and for Dolby movies on a stand-alone BluRay player. The problem is DTS movies are silent. Most 4K players don't have DTS media-> Dolby sound converters, so I need something that can complement my Turtle Beach X42 Dolby. Highest factor is price and directionality. Minor treble/bass/midrange issues is not a consideration unless it's so bad, movies are unwatchable. prefer wireless, but just as converter with an "add-a-wireless" would be okay, needs either Toslink Coaxial, or HDMI. LPCM 7.1 HDMI-> binaural headphones would be nice, but not a priority because Nintendo has good 2 channel headphone mixes as their standard 2 track soundtracks. Doesn't need a microphone.

I tried a Sony MDR-DS6500. It sounds better in DTS than silence, but not much, a 1-dimensional 2 track soundtrack with no directional pop and not as good as a straight 1 Dimensional Stereo LPCM 2.0

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #40,768 of 48,562
Ive got my iPod Touch hooked up to the soundblaster x7 via the thunderbolt usb to the host input on the side of the x7. Highest bit rate I’ve been able to get to play is 16 bit 48 kHz.

From the research I’ve done, higher resolutions are only avail via the usb on the rear of the x7 , to pc or Mac.

Anyone know any different work arounds or solutions to this?
Thanks in advance!

You have to go to speaker configuration in Windows and set the X7 to 2 speakers in iorder to get 24bit/96khz and whatever else. However if you want surround, you have to go back and set it to multiple speakers, AND set the bit rate to 16/48 or it will give an error message. It's finicky like that.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #40,769 of 48,562
You have to go to speaker configuration in Windows and set the X7 to 2 speakers in iorder to get 24bit/96khz and whatever else. However if you want surround, you have to go back and set it to multiple speakers, AND set the bit rate to 16/48 or it will give an error message. It's finicky like that.

So in order to get my iPod to play higher bit rate via the host usb input ( input on the side) I have to change settings via windows?
My settings on windows are at 24bit 196khz and it has no problems playing on the x7. Only issue I have is when I use just the ipod as host while playing on PS4. Only then does the x7 limit bit rate to 48khz

I mainly use the x7 on PS4.

Aug 17, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #40,770 of 48,562
oh, I didn't notice that it was for non-Windows use. Sorry, I somehow missed that first part.

I dunno. I have never owned an Apple product.

For PS4, I attach via spdif optical cable.

I have never used the USB Host function on the X7.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back