Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 1, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #17,748 of 48,562
Can somebody tell me if the earforce dss sounds the same as the dss2?

I read that the dss2 has worse surround sound.

I like default settings so the added options of the dss2 wouldn't matter to me

They use two different surround sound DSPs, so I'd say NO they don't sound the same.

The original DSS uses Dolby Heapdhone, while the DSS2 uses a surround DSP by Cirrus logic.  There aren't many impressions on how the latter sounds.

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #17,749 of 48,562
The DSS2 sounds a lot less immersive than the DSS, but in some cases do actually provide better positional accuracy. Other than that, it also has slightly less hiss, has a little bit more power on the headphone out and some preset EQs instead of an adjustable bass boost like the original DSS.

The virtual surround speaker placements are gimmicky and they don't really make a huge difference from one preset to another. It really does depend on how the game is mixed however.

There are 6 different presets:

Pre 1) The standard angle and the one that to me sounds closest to DH, but considerably less immersive and in many cases worse positional accuracy.
Pre 2) Supposedly the most "balanced" preset, but I honestly hear very little difference between this and the standard preset 1. Slightly better rear positional accuracy maybe, but not by much and certainly would depend on the game instead.
Pre 3) Rear audio sounds a little more lively, but despite how the diagram shows, using this preset robs the front audio too much for no reason what so ever.

Pre 4) Sounds exactly the same as preset 2, don't know what is the point of having this preset here.
Pre 5) Again sounding almost exactly like preset 2, difference is way too minute for games on consoles to tell a difference.
Pre 6) Very similar to preset 3, but a wider soundstage with a little bit too much reverb. The front cues are still pretty dead though.

I know many people has asked about how come there are only 4 speakers and not 5. There were a lot of confusion before too that the DSS2 is actually a 4.1 processor and isn't a 5.1. The center speaker is THERE, but rather hollow sounding. I did a few SFX test where the sound would sweep in 360 degree variation and I can definitely hear the center virtual speaker placement, it just isn't as intimate as how DH does it.

No idea why TurtleBeach didn't include the center speaker in their diagrams, but I think it is down to because the center speaker doesn't change position regardless of the preset anyways so it is redundant to have it there.

Finally, DSS or DSS2?
IMO, definitely the DSS. It's already not in production but since there are still quite a few units on ebay going for $25, I don't see a better processor that provides DH at this price, of which would work with consoles and PCs. The DSS2 simply isn't worth the money.

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #17,751 of 48,562
A900X with Hifiman Velour pads - comfort +++ , they don't slide at all, like with the small stocks.

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #17,752 of 48,562
The DSS2 sounds a lot less immersive than the DSS, but in some cases do actually provide better positional accuracy. Other than that, it also has slightly less hiss, has a little bit more power on the headphone out and some preset EQs instead of an adjustable bass boost like the original DSS.

The virtual surround speaker placements are gimmicky and they don't really make a huge difference from one preset to another. It really does depend on how the game is mixed however.

There are 6 different presets:

Pre 1) The standard angle and the one that to me sounds closest to DH, but considerably less immersive and in many cases worse positional accuracy.
Pre 2) Supposedly the most "balanced" preset, but I honestly hear very little difference between this and the standard preset 1. Slightly better rear positional accuracy maybe, but not by much and certainly would depend on the game instead.

Pre 3) Rear audio sounds a little more lively, but despite how the diagram shows, using this preset robs the front audio too much for no reason what so ever.

Pre 4) Sounds exactly the same as preset 2, don't know what is the point of having this preset here.
Pre 5) Again sounding almost exactly like preset 2, difference is way too minute for games on consoles to tell a difference.
Pre 6) Very similar to preset 3, but a wider soundstage with a little bit too much reverb. The front cues are still pretty dead though.

I know many people has asked about how come there are only 4 speakers and not 5. There were a lot of confusion before too that the DSS2 is actually a 4.1 processor and isn't a 5.1. The center speaker is THERE, but rather hollow sounding. I did a few SFX test where the sound would sweep in 360 degree variation and I can definitely hear the center virtual speaker placement, it just isn't as intimate as how DH does it.

No idea why TurtleBeach didn't include the center speaker in their diagrams, but I think it is down to because the center speaker doesn't change position regardless of the preset anyways so it is redundant to have it there.

Finally, DSS or DSS2?
IMO, definitely the DSS. It's already not in production but since there are still quite a few units on ebay going for $25, I don't see a better processor that provides DH at this price, of which would work with consoles and PCs. The DSS2 simply isn't worth the money.
Thank you very much for the informative reply. Greatly appreciated sir!

I went ahead and ordered a dss from amazon for 45$ new (I actually found a new one !) and I also ordered a pretty nice interconnect to go between the dss and my arrow 4g, it should sound pretty nice because I have a pure copper cryo headphone cable for my Logitech UE6000

Here is the interconnect I ordered

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=261256551568

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #17,753 of 48,562
Haven't forgotten about you... Guess I gotta apologize, I was torn between making this (and figuring out how to prop up my phone to use as camera/mic) and playing Batman... Batman kinda won out, good news is I got stuck on a Riddler challenge last night 
wink.gif

haha fair enough :D thanks a lot man, and take your time.

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #17,754 of 48,562
Fidelio L2 are getting good reviews. Headfonia one I will take with a grain of salt though. Never too sure about their reviews. Let's hope the x2 is also an even more improved driver when they inevitably announce that, as that's what I'd be more interested in that a weird niche semi-open on-ear pair like the l2

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #17,755 of 48,562
Looks like I have lost my KSC35 god knows where. This hurts my soul. (I use my KSC35 basically my entire shift at work...and when I'm on the phone at home, etc. It is completely indispensable...)

wje has my KSC75 which has been gutted for parts to use for my broken PX100-II, which he seems to have working with the KSC75's clips in the PX100-ii's own driver housing (bonding the KSC75's clips to the PX100-II housing itself), so eventually, I may have a frankenstein PX100-II with KSC75 clips. Hopefully this will be my work headphone.

Guess I'll be taking the MA900 to work in the meantime. I really miss my KSC35...

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #17,757 of 48,562
Nov 4, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #17,758 of 48,562
Change, I noticed you removed the iCan from your profile.  I take it you preferred the Asgard 2 over it with the Mad Dogs? 

I already expected the Asgard to be a tad better than the iCan without the switches (since the M-stage is already a tad better that way), but I'd be curious on impressions as to how Asgard Vs. M-stage compared.  Those two are more similar amps and more of a direct competition with each other than the iCan.

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #17,759 of 48,562
I removed it from my profile but haven't made a definite decision, yet, because I want to A/B/C all of them before doing so.

From memory, however, I do think the AG2 is better than the iCAN on default. It has a very nice soundstage, though not as big as the M-Stage, and plenty of body and impact. I would say the AG2 is like the M-Stage on steroids... I think? lol. It definitely has more kick... so I just use it on low gain most of the time. I only needed to use high gain when I was using it with the MDs... which I just sold.

In summary I would say the AG2 is a tad bit warmer than the M-Stage.., while the M-Stage has a slightly wider soundstage.

I have some detailed notes that I'll be posting towards the end of the week... after I take my algebra exam on Thursday. So far I'm impressed...

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #17,760 of 48,562
Anyone have any solutions to getting rid of static noise on the Astro Mixamp 2013?

As far as I know, the noise is always there but not noticeable until you have the volume pot around 11 o'clock position.

The Fiio E9K did a better job of hiding this static. The Woo WA7 makes the static pretty obvious, especially when there is no sound playing.

Also, I found that that when I move my computer mouse, there is a tiny squealing noise and as soon as I stop moving the mouse it goes away. Originally, I thought this was due to the fact that the Mixamp is being powered by my computer's USB port. But when I tried powering the Mixamp with my Xbox or even the USB port on my DVR cable box, I could still hear feedback from my computer mouse. Basically I can have no connections going from my PC to the Mixamp and it will still receive feedback from my computer mouse, lol.

I was thinking of using just a random USB AC adapter for a phone or something to power the Mixamp but have my doubts if that would solve the problem. Don't have one lying around at the moment.

Just some more information about the static: adjusting the volume on the mixamp does not change the static sound, it stays the same and is always there. I noticed that if I remove the optical cable from the Mixamp (which comes from my Xbox) the static will go away for a couple of seconds but then it will immediately return (even when the optical is kept out) which is really weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back