Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 17, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #16,846 of 48,562
added you on the dota friends list. however GTA5 is out tomorrow and i may be unavailable for a few days lol.  

Which DotA game do you play? I haven't downloaded one on my gaming PC yet. League of Legends? DotA 2? I may be unavailable for a few days too, have fun with GTA 5. (Side note, I was really impressed with the graphics on GTA 4 when that came out; the design work, humor, variety, time of day/weather light shading, and the sheer scale of stuff all blew me away, even if there weren't a lot of particle effects or high-rez textures.)

Wow, very confusing cable setup for the astro mixamp. What kind of connector is that on the 360 for the astro? Is it the old connector?
The creative recon is more simple, just optical cable or wireless I think? But I didnt see any optical output on my 360 (old black elite version). So, how do i connect the recon with my 360? Wireless?
But the creative is 150usd, 50 more than the mixamp in here.

USD? Wow. If you're buying US, you gotta be able to find it cheaper online. If you can't though, you'd probably be better off with just two separate devices, one for console and one for PC, picking one or both with a cheap option.

Currently, unless you buy a whole receiver with HDMI and virtual surround built-in ($200 and up, better off not buying the cheapest entry-level ones either), all the surround processors for consoles only get fed a 5.1 DDL surround signal through Optical. I also have the 360 Elite, my HDMI cable is plugged into my computer monitor and a "Xbox 360 audio dongle" plugged into the wide proprietary slot above that. The dongle only cost almost $3, you can get 'em cheap on Amazon and they work perfectly fine. The Recon3D needs optical for the sound, and USB plugged in for power. Two cables going basically to the same place (if you plug the USB into the back like me), so not too much of a ray's nest. I think the setup with a Mixamp is basically the same? The wireless only works with Creative's Omega headphones, no idea if those sound any good. Of course the trickiest part for any designer is integrating chat with the Xbox, since the chat audio is tied (or at least the mic input) to a controller, Creative includes an adapter (ribbon cable from TV to your seating area, with an ending hub for you to plug in your headphones, mic, and controller audio) which works well but is kinda long of you're next to the Xbox anyway.

I think PS4 and XBO will both have the same optical audio out (and HDMI), so these devices should still be relevant. The PS4 I think is still using USB or Bluetooth for mic input, but (of course) Microsoft is going to be even more proprietary with their mic stuff. *shrug* Astro already announced they have to make a whole new device for the XBO, but they're "excited about the possibilities." Yeeeeeah, still leaning PS4 myself, if I don't get gobbled up by Steam :)

Mmm, Bentley Continental GT

That's the second thing I noticed, first I was wondering "why is she wearing headphones on her eyes... Oh, I'm just blinded by that Bentley." Still, enjoying your humor! UE UE UE UE UE UE UE UE...
------

Matt!
Tanks for the impressions! We head-Fi'ers live and breathe on the sustainable that is gear reviews, lol! Glad you liked 'em, and that they have a soul beyond just gaming :)

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #16,847 of 48,562
Ev, thanks for the suggestion.
I only can buy either in hk or China. Actually, i can ask my bro in usa to buy the recon, dont know when he will come here though...
I think i can get the 360 audio adapter for cheap, and optic cable. The recon is quite expensive at 150usd, but if i can use it on the ps4 with my philips x1, its a rather good investment imo. Also yes, xbn and ps4 will have optic out.
Stupid 360, why dont they come with optical out in the first place. Even the ps2 got it... I regretted, didnt get ps3. So many exclusive i want to play, mgs4, nino no kuni, killzone, uncharted.
That is why i dont want to repeat the same mistake and choose ps4 next gen, and cheaper too. I'm sure most xbn games will come to pc eventually, and like 360, it will dry out of exclusive titles fast.

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #16,848 of 48,562
I don't know what it is with these K712's and amping with it... I've got it plugged straight into my iPod (5th gen video), and I heard a recorded sample that startled me into thinking my mom had come in and was doing something behind me. I also really enjoyed the timbre of the bells at the end of "Spies" by Coldplay (start playing right at 4:19, some of the little flourishes hidden in tracks amaze me that artists bother to add them knowing most people won't appreciate them). If a song calls for it, these also seem to have fun playing with physical puffs of air that I can feel touch my ears, and the smooth movement of something panning around is special.

Mad, you'll be glad to know that nothing has cut, irritated, or glared since that first time using the microphonic tube that has a bit of a ringing problem of it's own. Edit: Don't listen to "Just" on Radiohead's "the Bends" album, with probably any headphone that's not a Bose or something. I don't remember what bitrate I ripped the CD at, but no. Just no.

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #16,849 of 48,562
Often when I'm listening to the K712s I'll think somebody has opened or closed a door behind me somewhere, but then I'll pause and rewind the track it and turns out to just be something in the recording.

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #16,850 of 48,562
Widdyjudas,
Were you just looking for a console solution? I'd suggest you just get a DSS shipped from American eBay (or somewhere); unless you think you'd prefer the Creative surround processing and intermediate tweakability, then the DSS is just as good and cheaper. I don't know if it's the amp I have after the DSS or the 62 Ohm impedance of the AKG headphones I have, but I don't actually hear hiss from the DSS. I heard a bit with my 32 Ohm V-MODA plugged directly into the DSS, but not so bad, I forgot about the low noise/hiss while playing, but I haven't tried the M-100 with the DSS and an amp in-between.

Chico,
that's exactly what I did when I heard that, rewound the track to check my sanity, still sounded eerily believable. These K712 sound like the same family, but a different headphone from the Q701. Still, the Q701 did that realism thing to me once with geese, imagine how that messed with me, haha! I'm enjoying them even out from my headphone jack of my iPod, volume's at like 45%.
Civil Twilight, you guys are a cool band :xf_cool:

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #16,851 of 48,562
Often when I'm listening to the K712s I'll think somebody has opened or closed a door behind me somewhere, but then I'll pause and rewind the track it and turns out to just be something in the recording.

Lol, I get that sensation at times with the KSC35 at work (since I wear it like 7 hours a day, and of course most fully open headphones do the same). The MA900 is exceptional at that mindtrick.

Sep 17, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #16,853 of 48,562
Anyway to import the DSS? It's $25 here :p

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #16,854 of 48,562
Anyway to import the DSS? It's $25 here
tongue.gif

Lol, just 25usd??? you can supply the internet store here if you can... Or i'll open a store and you guys supply, we can make a fortune here...

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #16,855 of 48,562
Matt!
Tanks for the impressions! We head-Fi'ers live and breathe on the sustainable that is gear reviews, lol! Glad you liked 'em, and that they have a soul beyond just gaming
smily_headphones1.gif

As I told MLE, these were nowhere on my radar and they completely caught me off guard. I had the longest listening session that I've had in many months with them. At the end of the night, I went over the ebay, found them for a great price and bought them. 
redface.gif
 I'm even curious to check out how they sound for gaming and movies. Is anyone still playing UT2007? 
blink.gif
 Kidding..

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #16,858 of 48,562
:O so I uhh... just got an ATH AD900x for free it seems! Boy today is going to b fun! Should I burn it in and review or it just shoot straight out the box

in addition I wonder how it would sound with the w1000x pads, the w1k stock pads added bass and slighty forward mids to my HP 100 and the ATH AD900x is a full size 53mm can so... I wonder how they'd sound :O time to review 

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #16,859 of 48,562
AKG K712 for gaming. Yup, absolutely love it. It shatters the X1 as a competitive headphone and I think it has just enough of a fun factor still. BF3 and L4D2 were fantastic with it.

It could not replace the X1 for me because it's strengths, accuracy, timbre, realism and thin, analytical nature just do not work for me with certain songs or games (Heavy-handed action FPS' like Halo, Crysis, COD single player, games where you go around blasting things). I highly prefer the X1 out of my mixamp for console gaming, but I might need an amp there because the K712 loses some of the magic from my PC gaming.  With PC gaming the SB Z is more than enough.

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #16,860 of 48,562
iso--->IEM Recommendations

I currently use senn. pc360 w/astro mixamp and mainly play COD. However, when I'm not playing w/buddies I always use my cheap skull candy earbuds/mixamp. The earbuds definitely lack the large sound stage and enemy shot direction, and mic, but they're so darn comfy, and do the job fine when i'm just messing around.

I'm curious if there are any iem's around $100 or so, that would be good for gaming?
Do large sound stages even exist in the iem world?
Do iem's with mics sound decent while gaming. Will my teammates complain at my voice quality?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back