Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #14,806 of 48,562
I've got a question. Does anyone know if the DT 770 are know to have a very bright sound to them? I have a set of MMX 300 which is supposed to be based of the DT770s but it's very bright. Is this normal for a this type of headphone, or is it something to do with my game settings. I've only recently made aware of this when my friend brought to my attention how bright they sound. He said they don't sound like the headphones he has.

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #14,807 of 48,562
Quote:
Has anyone tried hd650 for gaming? I'm thinking about buying them. I've got the pc360 which is great for gaming. The 360s have nice balance good soundstage. I'm primarily buying the hd650 for music as the 360s bass is very neutral great for gaming and vocals but not for a lot of different music genres. I have a asus stx soundcard just worried that the stx won't drive the hd650s properly.

The Essence STX should have no problem driving 300-Ohm (HD650) headphones.
Later on you can always get something like the Little Dot MKIII tube amp. and plug it into the STX's RCA output.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #14,809 of 48,562
Quote:
Hello i got a question, as anyone tried the new logitech g230 for gaming? and if so, how good/bad they are? thx

PD: i need a low cost headset, only for gaming and I already bought the Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 sound card

"headset" with a built in mic?
or would you be willing to buy a separate headphone and separate mic?

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #14,811 of 48,562
Jun 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #14,813 of 48,562
How similar to the ATH-AD700's are the AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition in terms of positional audio and cues? I'm planning on getting new headphones and I'm not sure in choosing between the Annie's and the X1's. They will be plugged into a Xonar STX.

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #14,815 of 48,562
I'm sorry the X1 review isn't up (guys have to give me some time, as I'm still testing them). It should hopefully be up this coming week.

Hurry hurry HURRY!!! :ph34r:

Okay, I just watched Man of Steel, and I still can not see how you guys say theatres have good audio. I have yet to hear a theatre do it right. Gladly, the problem with this one was a lack of bass, meaning the problem wasn't painful, its just the sound wouldn't put you in awe.

I just watched that movie too. The problem wasn't the speaker audio, the problem was the awful blunt screenwriting and shallow antagonists.

Ok, I do mean that seriously, but I understand what you mean about how the theater experience changes once you start paying attention and get used to great audio. Your theater might actually have lost the subwoofers, like listening to home theater towers without a dedicated sub. In my theater, there are a couple screens where it sounds like the bass was boosted just beyond what the driver can handle, and the smaller theater has problems with harsh treble. It hurts man. But when I saw Man of Steel, the soundtrack and cinematography were the best parts of the movie. I think you'll really enjoy the audio once it's available for you to play it from your headphones (if you're interested enough in seeing it again), but I'd advise rental over purchase.

For those who haven't seen Man of Steel... I won't ruin the plot for you. Someone else may even really enjoy it more than I did. It starts strong, addressing the question of "why do we care about a character who is so powerful he could basically do anything?" And yeah, the cinematography & Hanz Zimmer's soundtrack are great! Even the special effects provide scope to the story and some weight to what's happening. IMO, the dialogue was too blunt or clichéd (and when did the military learn about Krypton by name?), and the bad guys aren't interesting like Bane or the Joker from recent DC flicks. That said, ymmv, as you know local theater sound vs headphones, I also experience movie (and game) screenwriting vs literature. Maybe I'm overly critical. I saw Lincoln, and thought "If this guy playing Lincoln was in a debate or at a party, the room wouldn't suddenly stop talking to listen to him." Know the guy who played Obi-Wan in SW: A New Hope? He could speak quietly and still arrest your attention.

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #14,816 of 48,562
How similar to the ATH-AD700's are the AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition in terms of positional audio and cues? I'm planning on getting new headphones and I'm not sure in choosing between the Annie's and the X1's. They will be plugged into a Xonar STX.

Not exactly the same but similar in the grand scope of things, I went from a pair of ATH-AD700 to the AKG Q701 I use now. I was really pleased to pretty much not lose any of that sense of sounds-happening-in-your-room, while also gaining sub-bass extension and a harder-to-identify quality (speed or impact or something) that made music more exciting and beats more likely to get your toes tapping. I kept both headphones at the same time for about 3/4 a year, I found the AD700 a little easier to drive from an amp weaker than your STX and lighter to wear for more hours of play, and I was pretty impressed by their value next to the AKGs, but in the end the AKGs won because they were more fun outside of gaming and are just overall a better headphone. Does my experience answer your question?

could someone comment on how the COP's are for gaming (beyerdynamic Custom One Pro)? i really like them but can't find any on the gaming part

I'm not the best to answer, but IIRC those Beyer COP's are basically one of the beyers Mad tested in the guide (DT770?) with extra styling added.

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #14,817 of 48,562
I absolutely loved Man of Steel, but they did handle some things incorrectly... It didn't make Superman the ideal we all want to strive for. And the action didn't the correct pacing (It was way too fast, had no beats, no anticipation moments, etc. etc.)  Still, it was a very great movie. I couldn't find anything wrong with the villain. He wasn't outstanding, but he wasn't shallow, especially compared to the average villain out there.

Then again, I'm the worst judge of a movie. I normally hate movies, and I consider a good movie's writing to pale in comparison to a good video game's writing.

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #14,818 of 48,562
Yeah, they introduced the idea in the beginning that he could grow up to be an ideal to strive for, and then COLLATERALBATTLEDAMAGEHUUUUR! And why were the bad guys so powerful, if their species become powerful based on becoming stronger by adapting to their environment, and Kal was so strong because he grew up adapting to Earth? I also think they would be more interesting if the audience had a reason to like them or sympathize with them in some way, but even the bad guy leader (Zal?) was a robot.

I just thought the movie could've been much more, and I spent like half an hour discussing how it could've been a better story with my girlfriend afterwards. Maybe Superman has unstoppable brawns, but what about more internal conflict, capitalizing on what it was like to have two dads, maybe have him sympathizing or being tricked by the Kryptonites, really flesh out the "Lead the People by example," why does he care about fitting in with or being accepted by humans if he can easily be "above" them, can Superman really be responsible for saving everyone, etc... There were many pretty great BEGINNINGS of ideas, but the screenwriter (or Zack Snyder) didn't pick one or two to really flesh out and make rich. Besides "You'll never find out how strong you are until you test your limits," basically the movie fell into the "superman trap" during the entire climax where basically Kal had little trouble overcoming any obstacle by flying faster, harder, and being physically stronger. I'd feel super confident having him on my football team, but I think that makes for a boring story.

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #14,819 of 48,562
Quote:
Kal had little trouble overcoming any obstacle by flying faster, harder, and being physically stronger

Ah, but that's the entire point. If they are doing it right, Superman doesn't really have any obstacles other then hurting the ones around him. Superman is commonly said by directors/producers to be on of the hardest stories to write for. He is just so hard to get right.

I'd suggest watching the Justice League cartoons. They easily show who superman is meant to be. They constantly show how he truly cares about humanity.

I love this scene, it truly tells you what superman has to deal with.
"That man [batman] won't quit as long as he can still draw a breath. None of my teammates will. Me? I've got a different problem. I feel like I live in a world made of cardboard, always taking constant care not to break something, to break someone. Never allowing myself to lose control even for a moment, or someone could die. But you can take it, can't you, big man? What we have here is a rare opportunity for me to cut loose and show you just how powerful I really am."

I'm assuming (or hoping) this will be something done in the second movie. I believe their assumption is that Clark isn't Superman, yet. Just someone trying to be a hero. If they fix this one problem for the second movie, it would easily be in my top 3 super hero movies of all time.

Edit:
Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl_5UwS57X8
Plus, they even get the action right. See that pause when he punches Darkseid? THAT IS HOW YOU DO IT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back