Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 29, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #14,791 of 48,568
Sounds like a lot of the complaints about my beloved 770 Pros. Slap a bass reducing EQ on em and go nuts.

The problem isn't how bassy it is. It's nowhere near as bassy as the 770/80s. It's that the bass sounds like it was tuned at the driver's limit with no headroom. Almost like if you try to boost it, it'd probably be a mess.

The end result is fine, and I'm sure many wouldn't even notice it, but it's simply not close to the best quality of bass I've heard.

I'm, not saying this to turn anyone off. Every headphone has things here or there that aren't perfect. The quantity of bass is lovely, but I wish it had a more control and refinement behind it. The Pro 900 has considerably stronger bass, and is in complete control of all of it.

Again, that's a small gripe. That does nothing to make me dislike the X1 in any shape or form. It's clearly my fave mid-tier headphone next to the Annies.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #14,792 of 48,568
Hey MLE,

is the TH-600 from Pricejapan in your budget? "Unfortunately" I don't live in the US, else I would have sent you some of my headphones from time to time to review but in this case I am curious about how a DH-7000 lover will feel about them.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #14,793 of 48,568
The Philips Fidelio X1 Review is live:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/670318/philips-fidelio-x1-review-comparison
Please enjoy. 
popcorn.gif

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #14,794 of 48,568
Okay, I just watched Man of Steel, and I still can not see how you guys say theatres have good audio. I have yet to hear a theatre do it right. Gladly, the problem with this one was a lack of bass, meaning the problem wasn't painful, its just the sound wouldn't put you in awe.

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #14,795 of 48,568
If you've ever had the chance to watch a full release in an IMAX theatre, well...then you'll know.  Anyone who needs to be fully immersed in a movie visually and auditorily can and will justify the extra cost of seeing it in an IMAX theatre.  I've also been in single screen theatre that used fold out chairs (middle of nowhere in Pa.) so you can only imagine how bad that sounded.

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #14,796 of 48,568
Has anyone tried hd650 for gaming? I'm thinking about buying them. I've got the pc360 which is great for gaming. The 360s have nice balance good soundstage. I'm primarily buying the hd650 for music as the 360s bass is very neutral great for gaming and vocals but not for a lot of different music genres. I have a asus stx soundcard just worried that the stx won't drive the hd650s properly.

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #14,797 of 48,568
Quote:
If you've ever had the chance to watch a full release in an IMAX theatre, well...then you'll know.  Anyone who needs to be fully immersed in a movie visually and auditorily can and will justify the extra cost of seeing it in an IMAX theatre.  I've also been in single screen theatre that used fold out chairs (middle of nowhere in Pa.) so you can only imagine how bad that sounded.

I'd love to go to an Imax theatre, but the only one I've ever been to was when I was much younger, and we don't live anywhere near it anymore. Also, it was Superman Returns, so... the experience wasn't all that great....

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #14,799 of 48,568
Quote:
I'd love to go to an Imax theatre, but the only one I've ever been to was when I was much younger, and we don't live anywhere near it anymore. Also, it was Superman Returns, so... the experience wasn't all that great....

Yeah, I'd say the average theatre probably isn't all that great - there is an AMC near me and while a bit more expensive, it does sound the best of the major chains I've been to.  Most of the time I go to Regal or Rave Cinemas because they have $5 specials or other random smal theatres...there's alot of options where I am because it's a massive suburban wasteland 
tongue.gif
  I think the best thing I saw in IMAX was the first J.J Abrams Star Trek...that was pretty spectacular sounding.  Wish I could have done that with the latest one as I liked it better.

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #14,800 of 48,568
MLE, you were right about the MD and Annies being similar rather than complimentary. I'm going to miss the X1 and its fun signature but the MD is a pretty fun beast, itself. While I like bass, I have learned that I'm not too fond of the V-shaped/U-shaped sound signatures.

I'm actually happier with the combo of the Annies/MD rather than X1/MD.

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #14,801 of 48,568
When people say movie theatre sound, they're not talking about how refined or true to the source the sound is. They're talking about the immersion, the excitement, the power. As imperfect as theater sound is, it's still sought out at home because it sucks you into the action.

Headphones can be refined and incredibly immersive like the D7000. That's like a good movie theater experience strapped to your head.

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #14,802 of 48,568
I have yet to find a theatre do this. I'm assuming Imax does it correctly, but most normal theatres can't make it immersive what so ever. The theatre I went to today made me think of the descriptions of the AD700.

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #14,803 of 48,568
You have some horrible theaters then.

Most theaters I go to are like giant XB700s. Lol.

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #14,805 of 48,568
Quote:
Has anyone tried hd650 for gaming? I'm thinking about buying them. I've got the pc360 which is great for gaming. The 360s have nice balance good soundstage. I'm primarily buying the hd650 for music as the 360s bass is very neutral great for gaming and vocals but not for a lot of different music genres. I have a asus stx soundcard just worried that the stx won't drive the hd650s properly.

I had them for about a year. They are good for gaming, I had no problem. Sold them for funding other cans. They are a faster as the AKG fellows like the 701, 702.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back