Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 19, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #14,506 of 48,562
While "gaming keyboards" aren't very important or necessary to have, I believe all gamers on the PC need a decent mouse that is made for gaming purposes. After using my gaming mouse for months, I went back to my standard HP mouse just to see the difference, and the HP felt like absolute crap.

Gaming keyboards might be a fad, but gaming mice certainly aren't.

As for having to apply a lot of pressure, maybe you just have a super heavy mouse? What are you using?

I suggest something like the G9X from Logitech. The thing basically allows to adjust the weight to your liking.

Gaming keyboards are quite important. Ghosting can be an issue. The ability of a gaming keyboard to accept multiple key presses at the same time and transmit that data matters quite a bit.

It's night and day when you A/B them. Also a good mechanical gaming keyboard allows you choose the keys resistance which drastically increases your response time and wpm.

It's like to high end headphone, until you've had time to sit down with a proper setup, you can't really know what you're missing.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #14,508 of 48,562
So then, would someone like to suggest a good sub $20 mouse pad and sub $20 mouse for precision without the extra buttons?

SteelSeries mouse pads. The Qck model is $12.21 on amazon.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #14,509 of 48,562
Quote:
Gaming keyboards are quite important. Ghosting can be an issue. The ability of a gaming keyboard to accept multiple key presses at the same time and transmit that data matters quite a bit.

It's night and day when you A/B them. Also a good mechanical gaming keyboard allows you choose the keys resistance which drastically increases your response time and wpm.

It's like to high end headphone, until you've had time to sit down with a proper setup, you can't really know what you're missing.

True, true. I actually do have a mechanical gaming keyboard myself, heh. Just don't think it's as much as an improvement as you can get with a decent gaming mouse over a standard one.

Mechanical keys are still amazing though... I love typing on them.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #14,510 of 48,562
In regards to the entire Xbox announcement today, I have to say that while many people are out there cheering, I feel betrayed by the company. Sure, people can now sell their games back to a company that I choose not to support (not going into my big old rant). But in doing so, they've killed one of the best offers I've seen in ages in the gaming community. They've killed the family sharing feature. And by family, that meant "any 10 people you so choose," an Xbox family if you will. And before people try to counter with it, I'm aware of the two active game limit. Still an incredibly bold feature that is currently dead in the water.

They've also ended up killing the requirement of not needing a disc in the tray to play games. Part of the idea of the Kinect being always-on was that you could come in, sit on the couch, talk to the Xbox, and be in your game or consuming your media without setting foot near the console itself. I don't want to have to get up, walk over, and pop in a new disc. I want to be able to jump between games at will as I can with PC. And, a minor annoyance, disc based DRM means the disc must be in the tray and spinning. Which produces unnecessary noise from the console itself. I want silence from my system.

Then there's the whole aspect that this could have ended up being a big push for consumer rights when it comes to owning media. We've been moving forward over the past few years with systems like Ultraviolet video and the like, allowing users to rip their content to supported devices. In the past, that was 100% illegal to do with a copyrighted product no matter how you rationalized it. Now I can load videos to my phone, tablet or laptop without a worry. Steam does something similar; you own the game and can play it on any system by downloading it to that machine. I want to see that in the console market. No need to take a disc to a friend's place and yet we can still sit down and play a game I own together.

I was really looking forward to seeing this develop more. I figured Microsoft would tweak the policy before launch. Let's be honest, they did a terrible job in how they announced everything. I hardly heard them mention the family feature at all during E3, and don't remember it at all during their keynote (though I could just be blanking on that portion). But I was hoping they would still find a way to keep these amazing features as part of the console. Instead, they decided to renege on what they've said and just do an about face on the whole subject. Of course all of this can, and probably will slightly, change again before launch.

Anyways, that's my view on the whole announcement today. Sorry for smacking people in the face with my wall of text. I'm not normally one for this many words on an internet forum. I've slipped back into my old video game journalist habits.

tl;dr - Brian is sad and wishes Microsoft had bigger testicles.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #14,511 of 48,562
Quote:
SteelSeries mouse pads. The Qck model is $12.21 on amazon.

Yes, I actually found that, but its made of cloth... Doesn't the covering cloth on the top start falling off when you roll it up to put it away? A few screenshots I saw seemed to show it peeling.

Also, what about a mouse? Do they even make mice that don't have extra buttons for gamers?

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #14,512 of 48,562
Quote:
Yes, I actually found that, but its made of cloth... Doesn't the covering cloth on the top start falling off when you roll it up to put it away? A few screenshots I saw seemed to show it peeling.

Also, what about a mouse? Do they even make mice that don't have extra buttons for gamers?

I use this mouse pad. I purchased it around $15 on sale at Microcenter. I like the curve of it, makes it really easy to roll side to side.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #14,514 of 48,562

I've had mine for a year of rough and constant abuse. No pealing here, just the black fading in color from me rubbing it. It's nice and soft on the wrist.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #14,515 of 48,562
Quote:
While "gaming keyboards" aren't very important or necessary to have, I believe all gamers on the PC need a decent mouse that is made for gaming purposes. After using my gaming mouse for months, I went back to my standard HP mouse just to see the difference, and the HP felt like absolute crap.

Well, they really just need a mouse with an accurate sensor, which happen to be labeled as "gaming" mice. Most of the newer mice with perfectly accurate sensors (no accel, no prediction, good LOD and tracking) are below.

Logitech G400
Logitech G400S
Razer Deathadder 2013
WMO (Wheel mouse optical)
Zowie EC1
Zowie EC2
Zowie FK
Zowie AM
Roccat Savu
Razer Abyssus
CM Storm Spawn

My point is, for basic casual gaming, your average Joe won't know, nor will he care. If he happens to use a better mouse and gets used to it, and then uses something inferior, he probably will.

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #14,518 of 48,562
*sigh* So I checked out the SR325is on some gaming this weekend. Obviously, it was just horrendous for immersive gaming. For competitive, it was ok. Positions seemed ok, but the soundstage isn't as great as a K702 and, therefore, position depth seems to lack big time. Oh well. I still really like them for general music, though.

that's what I figured would happen.

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #14,519 of 48,562
Ooo. Gaming keyboard talk. Forgive me for adding to the OT discussion, but...

Gaming keyboards are a lot like headphones in that you need to make sure you're using the right one for the right job. For FPS competitive gaming, you want...
  • Fully mechanical keys using Cherry MX Red switches (not brown, blue, or even black) for the absolute fastest response
  • Tenkeyless so your hands are closer together
  • PS/2 support with full N-key Rollover functionality so you can actually engage all of the keys you want to hit

...and that's it. Illumination, game mode, and other bells and whistles are just worthless gimmicks.

The Leopold Tenkeyless Linear Touch Keyboard meets every one of those requirements and is, quite simply, the best keyboard for FPS competitive gaming. The stuff from Razer and Logitech and (insert any "gaming" company here), it's just inferior product when compared to solid keyboards from brands like Leopold and Filco who just do things right without the bling. If I want flair, I'll throw some buttons on my sash.

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #14,520 of 48,562
I don't know if I'd call that off topic. Its still about games and that's why we all post in this thread; we love them
biggrin.gif

So I looked through all of those and there were only 2 that I liked the Abyssus and Microsoft's WMO. Is it really worth getting a 3500 DPI mouse over a 1600 DPI one?

Though really, ergonomics are more important than DPI, I think... And then I really don't know what I need in a mouse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back