Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #14,341 of 48,565
Hey head-fi!
Can you guys help me out with this? A poster recommended that I bring up my question here.

Basically I want to know how if this setup up will work.

Can anyone guide me through on how I can hook up amazing headphones to an amazing sound card, into a gaming system and make it work? Am I missing anything in these pictures?

Pics would help me asses the situation.

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #14,342 of 48,565
Jesus man... the X1 has a whopping amount of bass. O_O

I just don't know how open headphones can pull off bass this strong. It's tickling my ears.

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #14,344 of 48,565
Quote:
BTW, Amazon is bringing jobs here, and next year, they're going to start charging state tax.
frown.gif

They started doing that to us this year in CA. Hate. This was the reason they were my goto. Now with Best Buy and Target doing price match with Amazon full time instead of just the holidays, it just makes more sense to grab it from one of those retailers if it's in stock.

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #14,345 of 48,565
I think the real question on everyone's ears is: how low can it go?

Someone post the Ludacris video =p

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #14,346 of 48,565
Quote:

Lookie what we have here.
biggrin.gif

First impressions:

This is it. No... seriously.

The sound SIGNATURE is what I wanted. I couldn't be happier with these...

I'm SO glad you decided to pick these up. 

Hopefully you understand while I've been so pushy to get you to try them:

-   "I do think these are a nearly perfect fit for MLE's preferences in a headphone."
 -   "My new goal is to get MLE to buy a pair of these ASAP, as I think they are the perfect headphone for him."
 -    "You need to stop screwing around, order a pair, and find a way to make the headband fit  - because I'm confident you will LOVE the signature coming from these. These are pretty much what I hoped they would be, and I seriously think these are also what you have been looking for."

I know your sound preferences well enough to know that the X1s should be a natural fit for you.
wink.gif

I won't try and stop you from selling them in two weeks though...
tongue_smile.gif

deadhorse.gif

I myself am going to hang on to them because they check SO MANY boxes, and like I said earlier.... "These are probably the best headphones for gaming I've personally heard.  I say this because they have the highest combination of "competitive" and "fun" I've heard in one headphone."

Quote:
Thankfully, they are JUST at the point where it's big enough for my head without out it being horribly tight and overextended. My fears have been proven false.

...and I'm glad they fit OK. 
floatsmile.png

Can you post a picture of how you bent them to fit?

Quote:
do you like them better than the Annies?

Quote:
Chico said something along the lines of that they are different flavors and complement each other very well. He wouldn't be able to choose between the two.

Yes, and...

Quote:
That's how I feel as well. Two different kinds of awesome.

The Annie is more balanced, the X1 is more fun. Both have their place, and both are special to me.

It's really apples vs oranges.

This ^  x1000

You can't fault the Anniversaries for being more balanced, and neither can you fault the X1s for being more fun.  ONE single headphone can't simultaneously be both flat and balanced AND bassy and fun. 

That's WHY they compliment each other....and that's why I've kept both of them.

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #14,347 of 48,565
Quote:
Evs, I mean neutral in tonality. I find the Q701 to be pretty close to neutral in tonality too. The Annie is definitely warm.

Quote:
While the X1 is leaning towards fun, it is actually (and IMHO undoubtedly) tonally neutral. It may be bottom heavy, but it is quite linear, with a slight tip up in the treble.

The Annie is tonally warm, and more balanced, with stellar mids, and smooth, non fatiguing treble.

If you consider the Q701 as neutral, then the X1 is definitely warm.  The Q701 sounds colder, lighter, and thinner than either the X1 or Anniversary.

The X1 is similar in warmth to the Anniversaries, it just gets there a different way.  The Anniversaries have slightly warmer treble than the X1s and sound a little smoother and flatter but still warm.  The X1s bigger bass and low end gives it warmth, with the slight treble sparkle counteracting it just a bit.  The mids themselves sound fairly neutral though.

Both sound warm and smooth next to the Q701 though.

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #14,348 of 48,565
Quote:
Hey head-fi!
Can you guys help me out with this? A poster recommended that I bring up my question here.

Can anyone guide me through on how I can hook up amazing headphones to an amazing sound card, into a gaming system and make it work? Am I missing anything in these pictures?

There's a critical problem with trying to use a computer with a sound card as a fancy Mixamp: the S/PDIF inputs CANNOT decode Dolby Digital and DTS signals. You just get nothing, unless it's in stereo PCM.

Apparently, it's because Dolby and DTS don't take too kindly to sound card manufacturers having that capability, and won't offer a license if they attempt it...

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #14,349 of 48,565
Quote:

There's a critical problem with trying to use a computer with a sound card as a fancy Mixamp: the S/PDIF inputs CANNOT decode Dolby Digital and DTS signals. You just get nothing, unless it's in stereo PCM.

Apparently, it's because Dolby and DTS don't take too kindly to sound card manufacturers having that capability, and won't offer a license if they attempt it...

That sucks!
So if I just replace the ZXR sound card with a USB Dolby Surround Sound Processor, I will get surround sound (it worked for the 360 and PS3) .Like this picture below.

But would the potential audio of the ZXR Sound Card (if it worked), exceed the DSS2? Or would it be negligible?

And thanks for clearing things up.

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #14,350 of 48,565
Quote:
Hey head-fi!

As Nameless said, that setup won't work as PC soundcards won't accept DD 5.1.

You will need a mixamp/DSS/Recon3D/etc. device instead, the setup will look like this:

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #14,352 of 48,565
That's roughly similar to what I'm doing. Correct me if I'm wrong but you can still have that setup without the mixamp right? My xbox is in a cupboard at the moment but I recall you can adjust the microphone and game volume in the xbox's voice settings. So you could set up the relative voice/game levels on the xbox and then change the actual headphone volume using your amp correct? The microphone would plug straight into the controller using a 2.5/3.5mm adapter. Obviously it's more convenient to have the mixamp especially if you play alot of multiplayer, but for someone who has already spent far too much already (lol) the above setup is workable yeah?

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #14,353 of 48,565
Quote:
That's roughly similar to what I'm doing. Correct me if I'm wrong but you can still have that setup without the mixamp right? My xbox is in a cupboard at the moment but I recall you can adjust the microphone and game volume in the xbox's voice settings. So you could set up the relative voice/game levels on the xbox and then change the actual headphone volume using your amp correct? The microphone would plug straight into the controller using a 2.5/3.5mm adapter. Obviously it's more convenient to have the mixamp especially if you play alot of multiplayer, but for someone who has already spent far too much already (lol) the above setup is workable yeah?

It would work. You'll just have to plug your headphones into the back of your TV's headphone jack.
I did it with my T.V. for BFBC2. It was amazing!

My setup could actually be useless, since the PS4 controller has a freaking headphone jack!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbvbcemxAlM

I'll guess we'll see after I get the money to pre order the thing.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #14,354 of 48,565
Umm...the whole point is to get surround sound to the headphones, which isn't possible unless a DD 5.1 decoding device is used.

I believe the Xbox's method of adjusting game/voice volume is to just drop the game volume while chat is happening, then raise it back up once it has stopped.  

I'm pretty sure the PS4s controller/headphone jack will just be a weak stereo output...

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #14,355 of 48,565
So I found that my Mixamp is the ONLY Mixamp I've owned that distorts the sound if I max the volume and adjust with my Compass 2. I have to lower the master volume to around 70% so it doesn't distort.

While the X1 is easy to drive (quite easy), it sounds cleaner off my Compass 2 than just the Mixamp alone. Ah well.

Chico, by tonally neutral, I mean like voices and instruments. It mostly sounds neither warm or cold to me. But yes, in terms of bass and what it does to the sound, it does warm it up. The Annie just sounds smoother and warmer overall, though with less bass.

Bassy headphones can be cold/bright. For example: Pro 900, DT990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back