Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #13,607 of 48,578
Quote:
So, get that the semi-open cans are better in terms of sound quality (over the SLYRs) but by what degree/significance? And which is comfier: the Samson SASR850's or the Superlux 668b's?

The SR850s... or at least, by looks, they win in the comfort department. I've heard the wing design is very stiff making it uncomfortable.

May 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #13,608 of 48,578
Mad,
I just wanted to separately give you kudos for your PLYR 1 review. You're in your stride about how to cover a headphone, and you still manage to report the technical while also managing to make me kinda want to own whatever headphone you praise, if I were to indulge myself. SkullCandy is lucky to have found you :)

I was just in BestBuy and saw Astro A40 + Mixamp bundle selling for ~$250, so the PLYR 1 is apparently one of the better wireless headsets, for less money, same Dolby Headphone processing, and "Winner!" Tonal balance... sounds like a good option if you must have wireless. Could someone optionally wire in a headphone into the base station?

Thanks, Evs.

That's the only real drawback, you can't hook up another headphone.

As for my latest computer problem, it's more than likely a bad graphics card, as I had the same problem when I downhraded to windows 7 on a fresh install. I just don't like AMDs method of driver updates and the like. The Enduro was real problematic. I was running some demos, and running on Enduro was cutting my framera5e by half over just using the dedicated gfx (which only displayed on external monitors, not the laptop screen.)

May 18, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #13,609 of 48,578
Most people think the SR850's headband is more comfortable because it distributes the weight of the headphone more evenly across the top of the users head. You can also get the AKG K271 velour pads if you don't like the stock vinyl pads, they make the cans much more comfortable and improve the sound a bit too from what I've heard. The difference in SQ won't be gigantic, but it will be significant.

May 18, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #13,610 of 48,578
Hmmm.... And how bad is the sound leakage? How far away would a person have to be to be able to hear what I hear? I say this because, if I do get the SR850's, I will also be getting a Modmic, and I don't want to echo the game...

May 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #13,611 of 48,578
I just ordered the JVC HA-S500s. I wonder how well they will work with gaming. Not that I got them for gaming, that's what my Q701s will be for, alongside its many other uses.

I also received my JVC two-three months ago and I find them incredibly good for watching movies, anime and my favorite FOX series. Still haven't tried them with gaming on either console or PC, but I honestly think that you'll love them (I wrote my first impression in their fan thread if you want to give it a read).

Great review on the PLYR Mad. Very enjoyable read!

May 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #13,618 of 48,578
I typically game on the PC nowadays, and the X12 works on PC as well, but it will become my Xbox 360 set once the  SR850 and Modmic arrive. What meant was if you guys new of any decent sound cards/DACs/Amps that work well for a PC...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back