Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 19, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #13,097 of 48,566
Why do you need closed? I ask because neither the CAL nor SLYR will block out external noise well. I can't answer this well since I don't have much experience with closed headphones, and especially ones that are entry level priced. Sound-wise, the CAL is a more refined headphone, but if you absolutely need a microphone attached, get the SLYR. I find the SLYR more comfy due to have cloth pads, not pleather. However, the CAL is very comfy to me.

If you're gonna play in stereo, they all sound relatively the same to me in terms of positional/competitive use, so I'm not the guy to ask. This is why I specifically stated, that I only play in Dolby Headphone/virtual surround, so my recommendations are based purely off that.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #13,099 of 48,566
Hmm.... yeah, neither of these will isolate well... sorry to say. If you can spring for a little more, I would look into maybe a pair of DT770 Pro 80. It's on the bassy side, but oit isolates relatively well, and will sound good with minimal amping. It does require at least SOME amping, so maybe look into the Custom Pro One which is based off the 770, and has adjustments on the side that alter bass. Youi can theoretically make them sound quite balanced with the least amount of bass, or just a teeny bit of bass. I haven't heard it myself though, but it's worth looking into. They are very easy to drive (I've heard they even sound worse with some amps).

I know you're on a tight budget, but that's the cheapest I can think of.

Of course,. for stereo gaming, the M50 is pretty solid and isolates well.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #13,100 of 48,566
BTW guys, even the entry level Stax setup (headphone plus electrostatic amp = $1000), is END GAME level awesome. I haven't heard transparency like this until today. As clean as it sounds, it's not fatiguing or harsh in the slightest. Very neutral-ish, well balanced, and SOOOOO refined. I think the Momentum is my LAST dynamic headphone. It's so good, I might even consider giving up the LCD2 if I can spring for a legit pair of Stax that can pair up the speaker taps on my receiver.

I still do prefer the LCD2, don't get me wrong, but the Stax is a different kind of amazing. I prefer the coloration and warmth of the LCD2 subjectively, but objectively, the Stax 407 is just glorious, while still being musical to my ears. I expected the bass to be lean. I don't get that. It sounds straight natural. Not LCD2 level awesome in bass, but super textured, and clean as hell.

That treble... how the hell can it be so clean and present, and yet not fatiguing or sibilant? I confus

For gaming, I expect it to be quite stellar competitive-wise. The LCD2 definitely has better depth and a 3d like sound in comparison (the 407 is a little more linear), but the 407 is so precise and 'correct' I expect Dolby Headphone to do well with it. We'll see soon enough.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #13,102 of 48,566
Quote:
BTW guys, even the entry level Stax setup (headphone plus electrostatic amp = $1000), is END GAME level awesome.

Well, $1000 should be end game for a lot of people
normal_smile .gif

The most transparent headphone I've heard so far was probably the HE-6 hooked up a mega amp/dac combo.  As great as it was though, it was more intimate than I'd prefer.

I hear dynamics still do soundstaging better than other driver types.  I think I'd prefer a dynamic with a better soundstage over a more transparent electrostat/planar with a smaller/flatter soundstage.  Than again, I haven't heard a legit electrostat doing it's thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if I still prefered a good dynamic headphone with a big soundstage.

There were some entry level stax there (SR-303),but I only tried them on my head to test the fit.  I think the fit might be a deal breaker.  They're more like supra-aural than circumaural, and the pads are pretty pathetic and don't do much as your ears push into the driver foam.  Not sure how long I could use them.

Are their any Stax with deeper earcups (preferably round and VELOUR) apart from the ridiculous SR-007/009?

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #13,103 of 48,566
I dont have trouble with the fit, though it clearly isnt the best. It does feel a little awkward to wear, but its at least a 7 in comfort. Good enough.

And yeah, the soundstage at least with the 407 is medium sized and not as dimensional as the better dynamic cans I've heard, nor planars. Still, the sound quality is to die for, and perhaos Dolby Headphone will aid it, just like it does with the HE400.

I've heard the 507 is brighter, so I would honestly love the 407, which costs $500 less either way. If I sold the LCD2, I could actually somewhat afford the 407 with some entry level electrostatic amp.

Still, that's not a logical trade, as the LCD2 is more musical, and not amp sensitive at all.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #13,104 of 48,566
Quote:
I hear dynamics still do soundstaging better than other driver types.  I think I'd prefer a dynamic with a better soundstage over a more transparent electrostat/planar with a smaller/flatter soundstage.  Than again, I haven't heard a legit electrostat doing it's thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if I still prefered a good dynamic headphone with a big soundstage.

There were some entry level stax there (SR-303),but I only tried them on my head to test the fit.  I think the fit might be a deal breaker.  They're more like supra-aural than circumaural, and the pads are pretty pathetic and don't do much as your ears push into the driver foam.  Not sure how long I could use them.

Are their any Stax with deeper earcups (preferably round and VELOUR) apart from the ridiculous SR-007/009?

It still seemed to me that my SR-Lambda spanked the AD700 in soundstage, of all things...but again, I've never heard the HD800, the supposed end-all be-all of headphone soundstage. I'm guessing that's your end-game model right there?

As for Lambda-series fit, it seems to vary a bit. My SR-Lambda has deep enough earcups that my ears (pinnae) don't actually touch anything...but there isn't any foam in the earcups anymore, either. Or cloth, like the newer models. The SR-202 and SR-303, by contrast, had some foam in there that my ears DID touch, and it could get annoying sometimes. The higher clamping force on the newer models didn't help with that, either. And on top of this, people in the big Stax thread have discussed how the pads tend to vary in thickness between Lambda models.

However, if you think Lambdas are uncomfortable, DON'T try a Gamma/Alpha. The earcups are painfully shallow to the point where they might as well be supra-aural. Then there's the SR-X line, which I haven't tried, but IS supra-aural by design. That just leaves the SR-3, SR-5, and Omega variants for round-cupped Stax that I haven't had the opportunity to judge.

Finally...as much as I'd love velour pads myself, there are NO electrostatic sets in existence that come with velour pads, Stax or otherwise. Apparently, lint and dust-sensitive drivers are a bad mix. Still, there's nothing stopping you from attaching some velour or other soft material to the pads yourself, and that's exactly what the guy who sold that SR-Lambda to me did. Very comfortable stuff, even if the green cloth really stands out from the black headphones.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #13,105 of 48,566
I've been reading about the 323s amp driving the 007 and 009 Stax and sounds good off them. I guess for around $800, this would be my best cost effective Electrostatic amp...

If I sold the LCD2 and cancelled the Momentum, I could afford the 323s and start with like a 407, and then eventually go higher end...

The possibilities...

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #13,106 of 48,566
Mad,
I'm sure Nameless could point you to where he usually spots deals... Though that might just be "the bay" or the FS forum. Still, he might have advice on what to look for and avoid. Maybe ones that could hook up straight to your Marantz speaker taps? Then you'd just need a way to send a DH signal to your receiver...
Sounds like a project. I think you like the LCD2, but I think it's on it's way out the door to make budget for a Stax setup :wink: That said... you do strike me as valuing "fun" over "neutral rightness," in the long run a slightly colored headphone will probably be your preference. I'd probably prefer the Stax, haha, but the idea of looking like I strapped two 1990's computer speakers to my head is more than a little off-puttingly awkward.
I was actually considering a purchase close to $1k, but I was thinking more about a moped to save gas and have a transportation backup in case my car died. Also just to ride and putter around, heh.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #13,107 of 48,566
Quote:
I've been reading about the 323s amp driving the 007 and 009 Stax and sounds good off them. I guess for around $800, this would be my best cost effective Electrostatic amp...

If I sold the LCD2 and cancelled the Momentum, I could afford the 323s and start with like a 407, and then eventually go higher end...

The possibilities...

You seem to enjoy the Stax headphone and electrostatic amp. Wish I got money to get them, but I need a steady job with good pay for that since my job is on and off at irregular frequencies.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #13,108 of 48,566
Trust me, I wouldnt be able to afford the Stat setup without unloading the LCD2, cancelling the Momentum, as well as other things.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #13,109 of 48,566
Lol, sounds like you're already making a plan. The Momentum might be more than a looker, but I doubt it's what you really want... Unless you can take the laptop to your security job and watch movies or game in the dull night hours? Or maybe the people at the store loaning you these "grand" headphones see's something in your writing (or influence), and maybe you could become a writer or salesman for them? You do have the ability to talk and make other people excited about things :wink:

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #13,110 of 48,566
Quote:
Lol, sounds like you're already making a plan. The Momentum might be more than a looker, but I doubt it's what you really want... Unless you can take the laptop to your security job and watch movies or game in the dull night hours? Or maybe the people at the store loaning you these "grand" headphones see's something in your writing (or influence), and maybe you could become a writer or salesman for them? You do have the ability to talk and make other people excited about things
wink.gif

Or his wallet. Stax really has a wow factor if you come from dynamic and have never heard electrostat speaker/headphone before.

True story: on one of my local mini meet, a dealer bring Stax (just the Lambda - 307) and lump them together with various mid-fi dynamic cans (beyer 880, senn 6xx and stuff); after the meet, 3 out of 5 people buy Stax 
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Later on only one of them stayed with stat though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back