Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 18, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #13,067 of 48,578
Again, I wouldnt buy anything I have no need for, but I'm down to review things sent to me.

Better specs don't mean they'd be good for gaming though. There's more to sound than specs.

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #13,068 of 48,578
That, and a lot of specs get fudged already. Just look at displays with inflated dynamic contrast ratios (whereas STATIC contrast ratios are what you really need to be worried about), among other things.

For instance, frequency responses. They'll give you some idea of the overall sound presentation, but far from a complete picture without knowing the soundstage, timbre, attack/decay/transient response, and other little things that contribute to what you hear in the end.

And of course, there's the matter of YOUR ears and their frequency responses...it took a while before I realized that my own ears are imbalanced a bit across certain frequency ranges, no matter the headphone.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #13,070 of 48,578
Quote:
That, and a lot of specs get fudged already. Just look at displays with inflated dynamic contrast ratios (whereas STATIC contrast ratios are what you really need to be worried about), among other things.

For instance, frequency responses. They'll give you some idea of the overall sound presentation, but far from a complete picture without knowing the soundstage, timbre, attack/decay/transient response, and other little things that contribute to what you hear in the end.

And of course, there's the matter of YOUR ears and their frequency responses...it took a while before I realized that my own ears are imbalanced a bit across certain frequency ranges, no matter the headphone.

^^ This!

I wasn't as aware of it before upgrading to the Annies and the Magni, but as it became more apparent and showed up in multiple configurations (different headphones, mixamp alone, laptop's headphone jack, ipod alone, even the marantz!, etc.), I came to realize that my ears were the weak link.  Thinking back on my usage of the HPXs before the right ear cup started failing made me realize I've had it for a while.

I plan to get a hearing test eventually to find out just how much disparity I have between my ears, but I feel better knowing my audio equipment is at least fine.

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #13,071 of 48,578
If I was sent the AD700x, I'd review it. I won't, however, purchase it myself.

There's only a couple of headphones I'd be willing to buy to review, namely the X1, HE-500, K712 Pro (though I have no doubt it's the same as the K702 Anniversary)

But my funds are basically zilch, and if I get free funds for a headphone, I want to get the Sennheiser Momentum as my very easy to drive, portable use (don't expect it to be any good for gaming). I probably won't even review the Momentum. Some headphones are clearly not made for gaming. That's why I didn't review the ES7, ESW9, PX200-II, HAS700, and some othe

In other news:

I've updated the KSC35 entrywith info about the Sportapro.

Mad,
Once your job repays your credit card and eventually pays you Head-Fi money, would you consider comparing the Momentum and V-MODA M-100 side-by-side for portable music use? Or are the V-MODA just too popular and aggressive looking? Also, heard anything from Skullcandy in a while? -----

I might have to give the MMX300 an audition one day...but I definitely have my concerns.

-If it's based on the DT770, then the bass might be boomy if it's like MLE's impressions...but akaTRENT's impressions were anything but. All I know is that I want something more midrange-centric, and perhaps for a closed headset, decent isolation if I'm going to a public area.
-$350? That's used Stax territory, easily. Especially if they expect some dedicated amplification.

*glances at MLE's usual avatar change* A MOOGLE! *sneezes a rainbow* Urgh, gotta keep that in check. Can't be like Terra, who just runs up and hugs any Moogles she comes across (if Dissidia was any indication).

MOOG-gh...
*cough* ahem. I still have yet for my DT testing to come to fruition, the guy I was going to trade gear impressions with got busy and disappeared. Another headphone worth considering for mids is AKG's midrange closed model... I think the K272 HD? I was reading a comparison thread and a few others, one thing that kept getting highlighted was the mids.
$350 is only (close) to used Stax territory if you already have the amp (which you do, and others don't), and if they find a deal as remarkable as you did (which is quite rare, right? They don't show up every week). I believe in the entire year I've known you, you only once mentioned seeing a deal almost as good as the one that you bought. I only say this because if I had enough disposable income not allocated already, I'd have a pair of Stax, but since I need a newer car and I can't quite afford one, I think I'm going to buy a moped to save on gas (work's just 2 miles away) and have backup transportation to keep my current car from wearing out too soon.

^^ This!

I wasn't as aware of it before upgrading to the Annies and the Magni, but as it became more apparent and showed up in multiple configurations (different headphones, mixamp alone, laptop's headphone jack, ipod alone, even the marantz!, etc.), I came to realize that my ears were the weak link.  Thinking back on my usage of the HPXs before the right ear cup started failing made me realize I've had it for a while.

I plan to get a hearing test eventually to find out just how much disparity I have between my ears, but I feel better knowing my audio equipment is at least fine.

I can't handle too much bass. Freaks out my brain, I have to keep an alarmed expression from coming to my face. Then one day, like an idiot, I saw a Sony XB500 just lying around, and I had to test it.

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #13,072 of 48,578
Quote:
Mad,
Once your job repays your credit card and eventually pays you Head-Fi money, would you consider comparing the Momentum and V-MODA M-100 side-by-side for portable music use? Or are the V-MODA just too popular and aggressive looking? Also, heard anything from Skullcandy in a while?

Having used both (but not for gaming because of what became obvious reasons to me), I would say these are definitely fun, but the detail and soundstage was what you would expect from closed, bass-emphasized cans. There was just no depth, in particular with the M100 which I would definitely classify as a basshead can.

MLE, on a somewhat related note, I'd be willing to send you my SRH940 to be added to your review. Yes, I know you aren't a fan of closed cans, but these are kinda known for their directional cues and detail. If you're interested, let me know.

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #13,074 of 48,578
Quote:
Rogue geek,
I'm aware, I was suggesting on the basis of a portable music headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

Right on, right on. That's my bad.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #13,075 of 48,578
Help? 

Are the DT880s a considerable upgrade from the AX720? Im not hardcore fps gamer and not exactly a basshead, but still trying to get that nice immersive sound without overdoing it with bass. DT880 seems like the best choice but are there any better alternatives?

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #13,076 of 48,578
Bigearsman,
Yes, the DT880 will be a substantial upgrade in immersion, frequency reproduction, SQ fidelity, soundstage, and wearing comfort from the AX720. There are indeed many other options worth looking at, like the AKG Q701 I have, Sennheiser's top models, the HiFiman HE-400, and more, but the DT880 is a top performer and not a bad choice at all :) You will also need to buy an amp, even if you use the AX720's base station to continue processing Dolby headphone surround.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #13,077 of 48,578
Roguegeek, sounds good. Maybe later as I'm about to be saturated with headphones, lol.

Evs, got the Plyr 1 a few days ago, but I can't comment on it until Skullcandy gives me the go ahead. Even uploaded an unboxing, lol. Private for now.

As for the M100, I'm not interested in Vmodas. Their looks are a bit gaudy for my taste. I like the classy styling of the Momentums. Not that I wouldn't try the M100 if they were sent to me. I'm sure they sound good.

Help? 

Are the DT880s a considerable upgrade from the AX720? Im not hardcore fps gamer and not exactly a basshead, but still trying to get that nice immersive sound without overdoing it with bass. DT880 seems like the best choice but are there any better alternatives?

Absolutely. The 880s are a stellar all rounder. Not much in the $250 range as good as the 880s.

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #13,080 of 48,578
So basically they are exactly the same just re-named? No quality difference? I'm interested in the ATH AD700's but I just wanted to know if the is its worth the extra to go for the AD700X's. .

Could you also tell me if there is much difference between the 700's and PC360's.

PC360s are $100 more. . but is the $100 more going to mean better audio quality? Or is it cosmetic (mic, volume control etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back