Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #13,006 of 48,562
I'm half swedish and half japanese btw! So I have no problems getting things from Japan although I live in Sweden :) So you think I should go with the ath ad900x? Is it better for fps games than the ad700 and ad700x? 

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #13,007 of 48,562
Quote:
I'm half swedish and half japanese btw! So I have no problems getting things from Japan although I live in Sweden :) So you think I should go with the ath ad900x? Is it better for fps games than the ad700 and ad700x? 

I have not tested any of the newer X models and, therefore, can't recommend anything. Sorry.

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #13,008 of 48,562
Thx for the reply! I think I'll go with the ath ad900x. I'm really curious how they sound and I can get them for 140 dollar so why not? :p I'm pretty sure they are going to sound amazing with the X-Fi titanium HD :)

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #13,009 of 48,562
What would be a good MIX amp for the PC360 Headset?
I read in Mad Lust Envy's reviews that the Astro MixAmp (2013 edition) has some "hissing" sound, which I definitly don't wanna have in my ears... He recommends the Astro MixAmp 2011 edition or even the 2009 edition...

Thing is I've looked around, and can't find 2011 or 2009 editions of the MixAmp for sale anywhere... U guys know where I could find a really good Mixamp for the PC360? (one that won't have lots of hissing) ???

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #13,010 of 48,562
With all due respect, when you go to the garage, do you take the pamphlet and read all about the car parts and how they work together and what to buy, and which is better or do you just want it "straight" ?

If you are dealing with something you don'T know much about. You want it straight and simple, you want o "ask away"... I know you guys know way more about headsets than I do, which is why I read through what I could, half of which I didnt understand because this ain't my domain of expertise... Now if you feel I annoy you because I don't have the patience to re-read everything 5 times until I finally get it, maybe you ought to just ignore me, how about that?

Curious to know which AMP would be a good match for the PC360 Headset. (for Multi platform gaming)
Also would like to know how would one go about using a Headset and a Seperate Mic when gaming on consoles?...

What would be a good MIX amp for the PC360 Headset?
I read in Mad Lust Envy's reviews that the Astro MixAmp (2013 edition) has some "hissing" sound, which I definitly don't wanna have in my ears... He recommends the Astro MixAmp 2011 edition or even the 2009 edition...

Thing is I've looked around, and can't find 2011 or 2009 editions of the MixAmp for sale anywhere... U guys know where I could find a really good Mixamp for the PC360? (one that won't have lots of hissing) ???

When you say "with all due respect," I get the feeling that you misunderstand me. I do reply because I do want to help, I made my explanation guide in that spirit, and I'm not sure how to say it more "straight" than I said in my last post (your Xonar soundcard is already serving the purpose of a Mixamp for your PC, and headsets are a poor value), nor how to explain things more clearly and completely than in the post linked in my signature.

I heartily recommend a clip-on lapel mic (amazon search, i bought mine there), and the Q701 or if you need a cheaper headphone something like an Audio Technica AD700, Sennheiser HD558, or Takstar headphone. Those cheaper options don't even need an extra amp.

If you want a surround processor for consoles, you can choose between a home theater receiver with headphone surround, an Astro Mixamp, Creative Recon3D USB, Turtle Beach DSS2 or DSS, or some unit bundled with a gaming headset. Those are listed in descending order of price (and pretty much quality as well). If you want an older Mixamp, you gotta hunt eBay like everybody else, though personally I think a Mixamp is only worth it if you want a piece of hardware to balance chat/game volume on the fly, and only for console gaming. The Mixamp and Recon3D USB come with cables that make adding chat to your console setup easy, but for my Xbox 360 I just bought a little adapter on Amazon (little white thing with "X360" printed in green) for $3, and I just set chat audio to play through "speakers."

There you go... Those are the recommendations. I tried not to say why I recommend those to spare your patience, but we do have that info if you change your mind. Also, please keep in mind we're all just hobbyists like you, sharing our experiences just because we feel generous.

By the way, I absolutely do try to become informed before going to an auto garage and seeing how much they can run up the bill. If you arm yourself with just basic knowledge, you'd be surprised how much you can do to maintain your car for just like $25. You dont have to know EVERYTHING, just how to learn efficiently. If you went into a Best Buy, asked a salesman "Hey, tell me straight, what's the best headset for gaming?" Of course the salesman would just point you at the most expensive Astro (A50) or Turtle Beach headset. I like to make my own choices with my money, instead of letting others choose for me.

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #13,011 of 48,562
Thx for the reply! I think I'll go with the ath ad900x. I'm really curious how they sound and I can get them for 140 dollar so why not? :p I'm pretty sure they are going to sound amazing with the X-Fi titanium HD :)

I'm curious about the new models too! I enjoyed my AD700 very much, although that headphone recently found a new home (I think). They're probably very close in performance to the headphones they're replacing, but the little things (such as black instead of purple grills) may make all the difference to some. If you do get the AD900x, I (& probably most of us in this thread) would love to hear your impressions :)

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #13,012 of 48,562
I have a question for K702 Annie owners. Do they have the extra foam piece under the earpads like the Q701s? Am I better off removing them or keeping them in with the Annie pads?

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #13,014 of 48,562
Quote:
I just found out that there is a brand new sequel to the "ath ad700" and the "ath ad900", the "ath ad700x" and "ath ad900x". I was just wondering if you guys have any information about these two headphones and if they are better then there predecessers. Thanks in advance! :)

So you think I should go with the ath ad900x? Is it better for fps games than the ad700 and ad700x?

I think I'll go with the ath ad900x. I'm really curious how they sound and I can get them for 140 dollar so why not?

Here is the thead for them:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/631998/audio-technica-updates-their-open-headphones-ad-series-ad2000x-ad1000x-ad900x-ad700x-and-ad500x

I've read that the AD900x has more bass than the AD900, but the AD700x is still pretty bass light - so I would probably go with the AD900x if you get any of them.
For $140 dollars, I'd say go for it.  If you don't like them you can resell them to me at cost
biggrin.gif

Quote:
If you do get the AD900x, I (& probably most of us in this thread) would love to hear your impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, if you do get them let us know what you think.

popcorn.gif

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #13,015 of 48,562
Quote:
When you say "with all due respect," I get the feeling that you misunderstand me. I do reply because I do want to help, I made my explanation guide in that spirit, and I'm not sure how to say it more "straight" than I said in my last post (your Xonar soundcard is already serving the purpose of a Mixamp for your PC, and headsets are a poor value), nor how to explain things more clearly and completely than in the post linked in my signature.

I heartily recommend a clip-on lapel mic (amazon search, i bought mine there), and the Q701 or if you need a cheaper headphone something like an Audio Technica AD700, Sennheiser HD558, or Takstar headphone. Those cheaper options don't even need an extra amp.

If you want a surround processor for consoles, you can choose between a home theater receiver with headphone surround, an Astro Mixamp, Creative Recon3D USB, Turtle Beach DSS2 or DSS, or some unit bundled with a gaming headset. Those are listed in descending order of price (and pretty much quality as well). If you want an older Mixamp, you gotta hunt eBay like everybody else, though personally I think a Mixamp is only worth it if you want a piece of hardware to balance chat/game volume on the fly, and only for console gaming. The Mixamp and Recon3D USB come with cables that make adding chat to your console setup easy, but for my Xbox 360 I just bought a little adapter on Amazon (little white thing with "X360" printed in green) for $3, and I just set chat audio to play through "speakers."

There you go... Those are the recommendations. I tried not to say why I recommend those to spare your patience, but we do have that info if you change your mind. Also, please keep in mind we're all just hobbyists like you, sharing our experiences just because we feel generous.

By the way, I absolutely do try to become informed before going to an auto garage and seeing how much they can run up the bill. If you arm yourself with just basic knowledge, you'd be surprised how much you can do to maintain your car for just like $25. You dont have to know EVERYTHING, just how to learn efficiently. If you went into a Best Buy, asked a salesman "Hey, tell me straight, what's the best headset for gaming?" Of course the salesman would just point you at the most expensive Astro (A50) or Turtle Beach headset. I like to make my own choices with my money, instead of letting others choose for me.
Thanks for the info. But if I were to do what you suggest: Buy a Q701 for instance and clip-on mic, would I be able to use these 2 when gaming on a console?
As of now, I'm leaning towards returning my A50s and buying the PC360 and eventually the MIXamp I guess. Know that I do appreciate your wanting to help

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #13,017 of 48,562
I just found out that there is a brand new sequel to the "ath ad700" and the "ath ad900", the "ath ad700x" and "ath ad900x". I was just wondering if you guys have any information about these two headphones and if they are better then there predecessers. Thanks in advance! :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631998

Massive thread about the recent ATH-AD### refresh. The first few pages are pre-release hype/anticipation, so you might want to skip that. The most notable difference I think is that the new headphone series has angled drivers.

By the way, anyone here tried the Sony MDR-MA900 for gaming? Would be interesting to see where it stands.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #13,018 of 48,562
Quote:
I got my DSS and Steelseries mixer in the mail and they do both work together.  However, when using both the audio quality degrades a bit compared to when I plug directly into the DSS.  It seems to lose highs and mids.  Is there anyway I can hook this up so that I don't lose as much quality? Or find an alternative way to get voice chat mixing with my DSS?

Does anybody have this kind of setup or can assist me?

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #13,019 of 48,562
Johnathan1107 (Master Chief reference?),
I recommend the Q701 as my favorite headphone I've experienced, and because it generally is well reviewed by others too. I use mine with my Xbox 360 all the time.

Clip-on lapel mic (seems to regularly go in and out of stock, better than Microsoft Chat mic):
http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-3-5mm-Hands-Computer-Microphone/dp/B005DJOIHE/ref=zg_bs_11974771_14

Adapter to connect clip-on lapel mic to Xbox 360 controller (I have 2 of these, though the Mixamp and Recon3D USB have their own included adapters):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005543MAG/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't heard the Sennheiser PC360... FWIR it's very balanced and good, sometimes not very engaging. Take away the built-in mic and the PC360 = Sennheiser HD555. The HD558 is a slight uptick in quality, and still cheaper than the PC360. IMO The PC360 still isn't super convenient because you still need some additional adapters if you want to use it with a console (like those included with a Mixamp or Recon3D). The price difference is about $20 new... Not a huge deal but after mic + adapter you still have enough savings for a Steam game or pizza and dessert :wink:
Of course... I just noticed there are two refurbs for sale on amazon for just over $100... That is a pretty great deal.
-----

Don Tonberry,
I have a DSS now, and i just plug my mic straight into my controller (with an adapter, see above). Usually, I can mix game vs chat audio balance by turning up the volume on my DSS (all sounds louder), and turning down the game volume in the game's settings menu. I use this method all the time in the CoD games and several of my single-player games, though strangely the Halo games don't offer a volume adjustment in their settings menus. I'm not a huge fan of the Xbox's live "ducking" feature that lowers game volume temporarily if someone starts chatting, because I have a buddy who does not shut up when he's drunk and I end up not hearing tactical cues :wink: Plus, some people just have really bad, quiet microphones, and I need to turn up the volume very loud to hear them at all, and I don't want the game to be nearly that loud.

The steelseries mixer is a passive device (no amping), so it just adds impedance to the circuit and thus degrades sound quality the further you get from 100% volume. My chat adapter has a mic-in port AND a chat-out port... I only use the mic port now (and have all chat/voice audio play through "speakers"), but possibru I could hook up a little amp (like my FiiO E5) to the chat-out port and then use a headphone y-splitter cable in the reverse direction to merge game and chat audio back into my one headphone... I could try it, I have all the pieces, but I probably won't bother, haha.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #13,020 of 48,562
Quote:
I'm curious about the new models too! I enjoyed my AD700 very much, although that headphone recently found a new home (I think). They're probably very close in performance to the headphones they're replacing, but the little things (such as black instead of purple grills) may make all the difference to some. If you do get the AD900x, I (& probably most of us in this thread) would love to hear your impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Here is the thead for them:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/631998/audio-technica-updates-their-open-headphones-ad-series-ad2000x-ad1000x-ad900x-ad700x-and-ad500x

I've read that the AD900x has more bass than the AD900, but the AD700x is still pretty bass light - so I would probably go with the AD900x if you get any of them.
For $140 dollars, I'd say go for it.  If you don't like them you can resell them to me at cost
biggrin.gif

Yes, if you do get them let us know what you think.

popcorn.gif

Sure I can tell you guys my impression on the ath ad900x(will probablly get them 2 may) But I really don't know anything about audio :p But I'll give it a go :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back