Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 12, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #12,916 of 48,562
Not really. Positional cues are the same on both. However the standard pads are thinner sounding, and bass isn't as full, so it's easier to focus on the mids and treble (most important sounds). Think of It like my comparison of the AD700 vs K701. The AD700 is even thinner sounding and bass shy, 2hich is what makes it so easy to focus on detail.

If you want to strictly sound whore, just get the AD700.

I would totally agree with you if I didn't already own that too and absolutely hate the comfort and fit of it. I've quite enjoyed my K702 and haven't noticed much, if any, compromise with competitive gaming. I'm sure the Annie will do quite nicely as well.

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #12,917 of 48,562
OK, I can get Annies and get the same sound if just EQ lows, I dont need to change the pads if I want less bass? Is Annies sound definitely superior compering to Q701(I know it is the same thing just with slightly better lows), what I want to say is that the advantage all in all? I never heard any AKG, so I guess if I buy Annies it should give me the best AKG experience
size]
 , I mean if I don't like Annies I probably want like any AKG which I doubt 
size]
 What should be the best combination for amp in that scenario?

One noob question, if the amp is very powerfull and I have low ohm cans lets say MMX 300 and I connect them to Matrix M-Stage or Fiio E9 is there a possibility to burn the drivers? 

@chicolom

I read your posts and I get the picture, both sounds have advantages and disadvantages, so what would you recommend in my case? 

PS I'm totally confused right now in way that I want Annies or I want Q701? 
size]

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #12,918 of 48,562
Quote:
Hello again Head-Fi,

Well, it's official, the Ultrasone's hurt my ears and head. My elephant ears stick out enough to press on the drivers. They didn't originally but as the velour pads adjusted to my head I noticed more and more discomfort. They end up being quite uncomfortable and I practice an exercise in futility continuously adjusting them. The small top cushion digs into my conehead(I'm learning so many things about myself!) as well, a common issue with multiple mod possibilities(hd650 cushion).

As to the sound, these are the most expensive headphones I've ever bought, so I will preface you in letting you understand my limited experience with "hifi" headgear. That said, the bass is strong and tight as most often described, the treble doesn't seem so piercing or shrieky like many have said(is this sibilance? Or is that only related to metallic sounds?). The mids are, in my experience, slightly recessed, but the level of clarity/separation is so much better than anything I've owned that I think it's just not as noticeable to me. Isolation is excellent from incoming noise, never really tested outgoing, kind've assumed mutual performance. Little heat generated but it is there. All that aside, build quality is unquestionably durable and the included components and case are great.

So... Now what do I do? I'm really disappointed because I really wanted to like them and I've tried to ignore the pain but it's just clearly not going to work for my intended uses and long listening sessions. I guess I'll have to resell them and take a loss...

The Astro 5.8 Mixamp has been interesting. The hiss that has been discussed is present but to me seems nearly irrelevant unless you use your headphones a lot for listening to nothing, sarcasm intended. Dolby headphone is quite an odd sensation. At times somewhat lacking presence, not to necessarily suggest that it isn't effective but more so subtle. I would say it's not entirely what I expected but it's also not a disappointment or anything. The best way I can characterize it in a statement is... "I am trying to learn how to use dolby headphone to my advantage." Battlefield 3 is all I really play anymore and as has been discussed before, the environment isn't always so helpful to positional cues. For movies, the verdict isn't yet out, I'm still looking for some of the better 5.1 movies to really test it with. As of now I've only listened to The Dark Knight without the screen on to see how it felt in regards to positioning. Subtle, but present, as I earlier described.

To try and match how you guys tend to do your reviews I'll state my particular details.

Music:
Source - Pandora App
DAC - AT&T Galaxy S II
(double whammy in the quality department from what I read here...)
Artists - Everything, from Regina Spektor to Dream Theater to Rush and Chevelle, hip hop, etc.

Movies:

Source - Optical Blu-Ray
Player - PS3 to 5.8 Mixamp
Films - The Dark Knight

Video games:

Source - Optical Blu-Ray
System - PS3 Console
Games - Battlefield 3

As always, thank you for any help and I hope that what I've written here can help someone else as this thread and the multitude of informative authors in it have helped me.

-Ryan

I had the same issues with the Pro 2900 with the velour hurting a piece of my left outer ear. The small headband cushion that would "press" onto my head after some time was even worse. Hopefully the new models will abandon that built/comfort level, just like Ultrasone is abandoning Titanium. 

Signature Series and Editions are much more comfortable. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #12,919 of 48,562
Which headphone would be more enjoyable for music listening, the hd600 or dt990? Currently looking at both just not sure which to go with. I like the idea of a relaxed sound with sweet mids, but also want thumping bass for an engaging sound. Soundstage depth and imaging is also very important to me

(Mind you I already have a strong enough amp for either one)

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #12,920 of 48,562
Quote:

Is there really a noticeable difference for competitive gaming and detail whoring between the pads?

I have the same MMX 300 + Asus Xonar DX, very curious about how Dt 880 (600ohm) sounds in games and overall compering to MMX 300? Also plan to buy and try AKG Annies  + maybe lets say Matrix M-Stage(not sure  what is the best combination  
size]
  )

As requested, i share some of my thoughts with you.

Well i am not sure what i should say^^

Comfort wise i would say the Dt 880 maybe a little more comfortable. ( not sure)
Sound: The Dt 880s Bass is like Zombie_x said nothing for Bassheads. Though i think its very clean. You kind of get used to the bass level after some time.
To sum it up the Dt 880 sounded clearer in pretty much every way possible.

As for Dolby Headphone. Like i said i disorts the Sound makes it inferior. Now if you play FPS you might want to give it a try though. I only play in Stereo.
Soundstage wise:  I am still confused of tthe Term Soundstage.  I found the Dt 880s to be very small but you could still hear in which direction the Sound was coming.
As for the Q701 which i use right now, they are supposed to have a huuuge Soundstage even more than the T1. However i can not confirm this. I find it it to be a little further away than the dt 880 but thats it.

ps: did you take a look in Zombie_x  Beyerdynamic Headphone comparison?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

got any Questions? Than ask again^^

ps. sorry if it is kind of written confusing.

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #12,921 of 48,562
Quote:
OK, I can get Annies and get the same sound if just EQ lows, I dont need to change the pads if I want less bass? Is Annies sound definitely superior compering to Q701(I know it is the same thing just with slightly better lows), what I want to say is that the advantage all in all? I never heard any AKG, so I guess if I buy Annies it should give me the best AKG experience
size]
 , I mean if I don't like Annies I probably want like any AKG which I doubt 
size]
 What should be the best combination for amp in that scenario?

One noob question, if the amp is very powerfull and I have low ohm cans lets say MMX 300 and I connect them to Matrix M-Stage or Fiio E9 is there a possibility to burn the drivers? 

@chicolom

I read your posts and I get the picture, both sounds have advantages and disadvantages, so what would you recommend in my case? 

PS I'm totally confused right now in way that I want Annies or I want Q701? 
size]

The anniversaries are NOT Q701s but with slightly more bass.  They entire signature is warmer.  Bass, mids, treble.  The whole spectrum is darker and heavier, so you can't just EQ on to sound like the other.  The pads affect the sound in a way that you can't get with EQ.

If you haven't already, you can read my lengthier comparison here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/655082/akg-q701-vs-akg-k702-65th-anniversary-comparison-review
Maybe that will give you a better idea of how they sound, and which YOU would prefer.  I don't really think one is necessarily superior than the other and I like them both, and I do change the pads depending on what I'm listening to (genre) or what I am in the mood for sound signature wise. 

My advice is still: if you think you like both sounds, get both pads. 

FYI AKG has announced the K712 pro, which appears to be identical to the Anniversaries but with different color scheme.  They probably won't be about for several months though and will be more expensive when they come out until the price drops some.

I've used both the M-stage and E9 and haven't caused any damage to headphones.  Just be smart and don't blast anything at max volume.  I only use the lower gain settings on them, as anything else puts the volume knob at only 10 o'clock which is a little low.

Quote:
Which headphone would be more enjoyable for music listening, the hd600 or dt990? Currently looking at both just not sure which to go with. I like the idea of a relaxed sound with sweet mids, but also want thumping bass for an engaging sound. Soundstage depth and imaging is also very important to me

Based on the bolded text, I would probably stay away from the DT990 (it's the opposite of relaxed with sweet mids).

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #12,922 of 48,562
Need some advice. I've been really interested in this guide and its convinced me to upgrade my set up. I do most of my gaming on console, its usually single player or co-op games with the occasional online fps. So I am looking for more or less a "Fun" headphones that can still do well for an fps. My current set up is my PS3 and AX720 headset. I am planning on keeping the old AX720   decoder and buying an amp like the magni to pair with it. When it comes to music and sound in general I am definitely no basshead. But for those epic single player games and movies I want that ambience like being in a theatre. So after reading through this guide I am stuck deciding between the DT880 and DT990 (leaning more toward the DT880). I have no way of demoing these in my country and I keep reading bright - harsh treble which is worrying. So my question is, how strong is that treble really and how much improvement can I expect over my current AX720 with either of these headphones?  Those k702 anv also seem ideal but they are a too far out of my price range. Maybe wait for for the K712? 

Any other recommendations are welcome. 

If it means anything I do enjoy music on my lowly HD448 but I never use that for gaming. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #12,923 of 48,562
Quote:
Help!

Now that I have the Marantz with DH, I'm trying to reconfigure things and see about doing away with the Mixamp.  I've extended the Annies cable length so I can comfortably reach the receiver from my couch.  But I'm having some problems getting my LVA 7330 mic working directly with the wireless xbox controller.

I had grabbed this 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter from monoprice, but when I hook the mic into the controller and try to record voice, nothing comes across.  If I'm not trying to get voice sound out of the controller to a headphone, but rather only trying to get voice into the controller from the mic, shouldn't this work?

I'm unfamiliar with the LVA-7330 mic but is the plug on it a stereo plug (2 lines/3poles) or a mono plug(1 line/2poles)? If it's a stereo plug then you need to add in a mono-to-stereo adapter to your cable chain in order for the xbox controller to be able to pick up your mic. Or you can try and find a mono 2.5mm to 3.5mm extension cable which would do the same thing. Standalone mics will only function on the xbox controller if the plug is mono.

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #12,924 of 48,562
@chicolom

I read everything you wrote about Q701/Annies before posting. I understand what you want to say about pads way of altering sound, just trying to figure out what is the best choice for me going from MMX 300 without listening test since it is impossible for me in Serbia to listen before I buy(I have to order it and pay and then I can listen to them 
size]
 ).

Anyway, I found second hand Fiio E9 but power supply seems like it's a model for US market 110W and there's a power converter on it to 220W at least it looks that way. Is there a model for Europe? Anybody have any ideas to confirm this?

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #12,925 of 48,562
I got my DSS and Steelseries mixer in the mail and they do both work together.  However, when using both the audio quality degrades a bit compared to when I plug directly into the DSS.  It seems to lose highs and mids.  Is there anyway I can hook this up so that I don't lose as much quality? Or find an alternative way to get voice chat mixing with my DSS?

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #12,927 of 48,562
Only got about two thirds of the way thru before I got tired of hearing the guy drone on while pulling stuff out of his... Seriously, guessing where in the frequency spectrum he's pointing at couldn't be any more ambiguous. Without some more detail about his methodology I don't think you can draw any conclusion whatsoever from those four random graphs. There's a different level of disparity between his 595 w/DSS plot vs 595 w/MA and his 360 w/DSS vs 360 w/MA plot...

Doesn't look like his results are very consistent, which could be due to any number of things (ambient noise, mic placement and isolation, etc.), the 595 w/DSS looked the cleanest and it probably has more to do with his methodology than with the headphone or mixer. About the only thing I could mayyybe guess from all that is that the DSS may be exaggerating the highs (or it has weak bass response), but it was an overall trend thru his tests so again (just slightly more evident on the DSS)...

The 360 should sound pretty close to the 595, they used the same driver... And the 595's discontinued anyway. In a very very general sense his tests show that, but he's over analyzing a test that isn't very precise. The 598 are better and usually cheaper (than the 360) even if you get a separate mic.

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #12,929 of 48,562
Apr 13, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #12,930 of 48,562

Users who are viewing this thread

Back