Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #12,406 of 48,562
MM starting to like the w1000x after bending the living crap out of the head band. Also if the L3000 pads add more mids that wouldn't hurt as they are.... interesting. I wished they had a Byer Style head band honestly, Nice think METAL with pads that roate forwards back ward as well as left to right, the wing system is assine. Terrible idea and these cans need to be "warped" to fit you head. I've bent the tar out of the metal head band a good bit alrady

still an improvement over the mad dogs [although at freaking $700 retail they dmn well better be] lukcy me on getting them at a cheap price

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #12,408 of 48,562
Hey ScottishRump (Pip),
Well, if you were looking for K701 and HD650 morsels, there are plenty in this thread! The first post will be most helpful — it's the guide. Each headphone review has a click to expand section for Mad's full review. If you want more, there has been more morsels of discussion on both if you go backwards from now rather than start at the oldest posts (excluding the guide post, which is very frequently updated).

The short version is, if you want an all-a'rounder headphone that is circumaural with great comfort, the AKG 701 65th Anniversary (fondly called the Annies) get a solid recommendation. It is more expensive than the K702 you mentioned, but this limited edition model has a flat headband offering more comfort for some, and a pleasing balanced tone that is a bare nudge warmer than the typical K702 (but not the aggressive "warmth" you experienced as part of the Grado house sound). Personally, I chose an AKG Q701 at half the cost, Chicolom posted a link to his more in-depth comparison one or two pages back, but the short version is the Q701 is closer to the Annies than another headphone brand, and still sounds great enough to have some great toe-curling audio-nirvana moments.

The HD650 also gets good marks, but it just presents things differently, more laid-back and FWIR stands out for "smooth mids." Also costs more. The HD598 and HD558 are cheaper, but the presentation is different... I suggest you read the first-page guide for impressions on those. The Sennheiser PC360 is basically an HD558 with a built-in mic – up to you if the price difference is worth it over buying a $3 clip-on lapel mic (dunno the price in Euro, but should also be cheap), and I haven't read any impressions on Sennheiser's new gaming headphone lineup but the PC360 comparison ought to orient you to the level of quality you can expect. Another "balanced" signature headphone worth looking into is the BeyerDynamic DT880: very even and "transparent" headphone, maybe less soundstage "width" than the AKG flagships but they are remarked for their comfort and near-monitoring accuracy.

The purchase list you laid out is a very good looking one IMO. I haven't read enough about (or auditioned) the Superlux headphones that look like AKG clones to know what they sound like, but for their asking price I expect you'd be giving up some refinement compared to the real AKG flagships... but those ought to still easily please you compared to the Tritton Ax Pros. Honestly, almost any of the headphones in Mad's guide are better than the Tritton's, read Mad's impression in the guide on those AX Pros. The other thing about your list... You can drive the AKGs loud enough from the Mixamp alone, with the chat dial turned all the way to "game." The K702 (or Q701, or Annies) ought to sound pretty nice without an extra amp, HOWEVER (and this happened to me) over time you'll come to feel like something is being held back, and when you add an amp with lots of current supply and low distortion, the headphones will really show their potential by making each note/sound more distinct and adding more "air" and depth to the soundstage.

Personally, I bought Creative's Recon3D USB sound processor instead of the Mixamp, for half the cost, and I like that it works pretty well with both PC and console (Xbox here, but I may soon get a roommate with a PS3), without hearing the Mixamp personally I theorize the Recon3D USB has lower distortion, background noise, but also lower current, but it worked really nice for me once I added a tube hybrid amp made by Head-Fi'er Zigis. The Mixamp uses Dolby Headphone to process virtual surround (so does Tritton's AX 720 and Turtle Beach's DSS), but the Recon3D USB uses THX TruStudio Pro; THX works well for me, but I suspect it affects ears differently, I have more "morsels" talking about this in the thread linked in my signature. Head-Fi'er Nameless is selling his Recon3D USB for $70 USD, if you don't mind arranging shipping with him. I mentioned Turtle Beach's DSS earlier, that's probably the cheapest (2nd hand) recommended surround processing option for consoles, though we have a guy who likes his DSS2 as well. Last thing on surround processing/amping front, sometimes it's more versatile and forward thinking to find a home theater receiver with a headphone surround mode, for example Mad found a used Marantz receiver with Dolby Headphone that has a superior amp to the Mixamp, more processing options, speaker and input options, all in one convenient package (though large physically). Mad probably could've been "done" with just his Annies and the receiver, but he had to buy his Audio-GD Compass2 Amp/DAC and he is compelled to expand his guide every month... he probably wouldn't have tried the Annies and receiver if he wasn't that way to begin with, Love Ya Mad!

Hope you found this post helpful, and don't mind it being a bit longer than your own post (Mine's longer than yours is, Nyah :p ). From personal experience I recommend the AKG flagships and a surround processor, and if you want to spread out your cost you could survive waiting a bit to buy a dedicated amp, but eventually you'll want said amp :wink:

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #12,409 of 48,562
http://www.head-fi.org/t/656131/ath-w1000x-review#post_9273591

I'm loving my ath w1000x. If u want a closed can find em used. paid 300 for mine and they are magical! I even use em with my Thicker Tube :O although I'm not sure if I want to stick with the thicker tube as the Thinner tube really makes these sound more airy and balanced 

either way a great can :D and I even have stock pads ;O 

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #12,410 of 48,562
Mad,
I came across this post earlier talking about softies fabric earpad wraps for headphones, thought you'd be interested because pleather is so hateful!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/12885#post_9266202

Haven't posted here in a while..but looks like Turtle Beach finally has something to go up against the Mixamp, not sold as a standalone yet though.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/18/turtle-beach-ear-force-xp-seven-headset-review/

The headset is indeed ugly and doesn't sound promising, but the control and interface unit look promising. All those custom presets don't get me too excited, but the ability to personally adjust to a headphone or taste is nice. I get the feeling, though, that IF turtle beach sells the processor separately, it'll cost more than the Mixamp. Anyway, it IS nice to see that companies are investing in this market, and I continue to hope gaming audio through headphones gains attention and traction. I still wish it was featured as part of games as much as 1080p resolution or multiplayer, even built-in to consoles, but I still expect we'll have to settle for kludged-together setups festooned with wires. Also, LOL @ the comments about MW3's use of surround, and MadLust's comments to other commenters :D

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #12,411 of 48,562
Im at a fork in the road that i wish was easier.

The DT990 was recommended to me on Reddit.

I keep researching and come here and see that they arent the best for gaming (i REALLY care about directional accuracy)

Think i'll go for the AD700s for gaming and a second pair for music listening.

Hopefully thats the right choice.

Any recommendations for a sound card? I have a Xonar DG but cant use it due to having CF now.

Has to be PCI Express

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #12,412 of 48,562
Hmmm... I'm thinking about returning my Q701's. They are excellent for gaming (probably the best I've used for gaming), very comfortable, and are pretty good for music. I just find that they don't have enough sub bass impact/slam for me. I tried EQing them and they don't really respond to bass EQ that well IMO.

I don't plan on modding or purchasing the Anniversary pads either... any recommendations for any open headphones with more sub bass impact/slam while retaining good mids and soundstage/separation? I listen to electronic, trance, house, progressive, rap/hip hop. I was thinking maybe HD600 or DT880? Any other opinions?

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #12,413 of 48,562
DT990 was recommended to me on Reddit. I keep researching and come here and see that they arent the best for gaming (i REALLY care about directional accuracy)

Think i'll go for the AD700s for gaming and a second pair for music listening. Hopefully thats the right choicen

Any recommendations for a sound card? I have a Xonar DG but cant use it due to having CF now. Has to be PCI Express.

How did you get the impression that the DT 990 aren't good for gaming from this thread? Tons of people within the thread have them and they were one of MLE's faves early on...

The AD700 might be slightly better if all you care about is competitive gaming, but if you actually want a good all-arounder or you're gonna use them for music at all I'd say the Beyers are the better choice. That is, provided you aren't overpaying for them as the price does fluctuate a lot (<$250 is decent).

ASUS' newer DGX is PCI-E, if you were happy with the DG and/or Dolby Headphone then the DGX would be a good place to start, it's amp might even be enough for you depending on what headphone you end up with.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #12,414 of 48,562
Quote:
How did you get the impression that the DT 990 aren't good for gaming from this thread? Tons of people within the thread have them and they were one of MLE's faves early on...

The AD700 might be slightly better if all you care about is competitive gaming, but if you actually want a good all-arounder or you're gonna use them for music at all I'd say the Beyers are the better choice. That is, provided you aren't overpaying for them as the price does fluctuate a lot (<$250 is decent).

ASUS' newer DGX is PCI-E, if you were happy with the DG and/or Dolby Headphone then the DGX would be a good place to start, it's amp might even be enough for you depending on what headphone you end up with.

Never said they werent good for gaming. i said they werent the BEST for gaming.

Competitive: 10/10 (Basically Perfect)
Competitive: 8/10 (Great)

2 point gap is enough to concern me.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #12,415 of 48,562
I think you're overstating the value of that scoring rather than reading the reviews, impressions, and even what MLE himself has said many times about how good or how much of a difference anything that's an 8+ in that regard can have.

That being said, ultimately it's about your personal priorities and there is a sizeable price gap between the two. Could just as well look at something like the HD 558 if that's a consideration tho, you can find it used for not much more than a new AD700.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #12,416 of 48,562
Quote:
Also just placed an order for the Sportapro...

That housing is identical to the KSC35...

I'll keep you guys updated on whether it's the same drivers.

The only thing is that if you guys get the SportaPro, you won't have the plastic clips. You CAN get the Parts Express though, which is more comfy. The Sportapro headband might be a bit muffled sounding, probably due to the headband covering a bit off the drivers compared to the clips/parts express headband.

BTW, since the parts express headband is metal, it can be bent. I basically bent it in all the way (made a heart). This will make the drivers press against your ears better, for a fuller sound. I no longer need the clips. The KSC35 sounds absolutely stellar.

I wonder how the 75 and 35 will sound with the Sportapro headband, lol.

The sportapros are what I have. 

I didn't bother with the stock "sport" headband.  After some initial testing when I got them, I decided I wasn't a fan of the headband and popped the drivers out to use them elsewhere.

I didn't think it was very comfy.  It's very akward compared to the simple elegance of the parts express headband.  It's got more ear pressure, less rotation (which means they put all the pressure on just one part of my ear), and is less open behind the driver so it sounds a bit more forward, congested/compressed, closed, boomy, etc.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #12,417 of 48,562
Quote:

Looks hideous.

Agree. 

The elongated shape and all those ribbed buttons make it look like some kind of electronic dil-doh

rolleyes.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #12,418 of 48,562
Quote:
Also just placed an order for the Sportapro...

That housing is identical to the KSC35...

(on the left)

so I'm almost 100% sure it's the same driver and can be unclipped from the SportaPro headband. $20 for the SportaPro on Amazon, or $45 for the KSC35 on Koss.com. Of course, I'll take a risk and get the SportaPro. It was gonna cost me $12-13 to ship/repair my KSC35 anyways.

I'll keep you guys updated on whether it's the same drivers.

The only thing is that if you guys get the SportaPro, you won't have the plastic clips. You CAN get the Parts Express though, which is more comfy. The Sportapro headband might be a bit muffled sounding, probably due to the headband covering a bit off the drivers compared to the clips/parts express headband.

BTW, since the parts express headband is metal, it can be bent. I basically bent it in all the way (made a heart). This will make the drivers press against your ears better, for a fuller sound. I no longer need the clips. The KSC35 sounds absolutely stellar. The only problem is that placement is more finicky, whereas the KSC35 clips are optimal in placement 100% of the time.

I wonder how the 75 and 35 will sound with the Sportapro headband, lol.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/headphones-earphones-portable-media-devices-314/introduction-world-headphones-1272241.html

There are pics of the headband swaps between the sportapro and ksc75.

Looking forward to your impressions as to whether or not SportaPros really sport the KSC35 drivers. I've been curious about that for a while now, never wanted to spend $45 for the 35s but didn't want to waste money getting the SportaPros risking it not having the 35 drivers.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #12,419 of 48,562
Quote:
Looking forward to your impressions as to whether or not SportaPros really sport the KSC35 drivers. I've been curious about that for a while now, never wanted to spend $45 for the 35s but didn't want to waste money getting the SportaPros risking it not having the 35 drivers.

I'm 99.9% sure they're the same. 

I doubt KOSS makes two pairs of identical looking black drivers but then separately puts them in the KSC35s and porta pros. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/205125/all-koss-headphones-with-the-ksc35-drivers-in-them#post_2466048

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #12,420 of 48,562
Quote:
Hmmm... I'm thinking about returning my Q701's. They are excellent for gaming (probably the best I've used for gaming), very comfortable, and are pretty good for music. I just find that they don't have enough sub bass impact/slam for me. I tried EQing them and they don't really respond to bass EQ that well IMO.

I don't plan on modding or purchasing the Anniversary pads either... any recommendations for any open headphones with more sub bass impact/slam while retaining good mids and soundstage/separation? I listen to electronic, trance, house, progressive, rap/hip hop. I was thinking maybe HD600 or DT880? Any other opinions?

All three HP listed have the same "flat-styled" Freq graph, and while they will have their differences, sound-wise, they're chasing after the same ideal, a straight forward, non-colored, detail-oriented HP.  If your dissatisfied with the amount of sub bass, then you might want to look at headphones with more of a v shape, but this will lean out the mids... What's you're budget? from $160-300 I would start looking towards the DT990 pro/premium lineup. +$400 I think most regular members would recommend something like K702 65TH, HE400s, D7000, LCD2. Also what are you using the Qs off of (what source/dac/amp)? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back