Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #12,421 of 48,576
Holy crap, just realized that the HD650 shipped from Florida. I ordered it yesterday, and it's already here to be delivered. It wasn't even an Amazon Prime listing. Free 1 day shipping! :D

Never said they werent good for gaming. i said they werent the BEST for gaming.

Competitive: 10/10 (Basically Perfect)
Competitive: 8/10 (Great)

2 point gap is enough to concern me.

Anything with an 8 or higher are basically the same in positional accuracy. I have said this a MILLION times on this thread, point scores should NOT be compared.

10's and 9s are reserved for headphones that suck out immersion/fun for raw detail performance. It doesn't make them better, it just makes them all about competitive gaming. Absolutely zero distraction or real enjoyment, since it's just a pure focus on mids and highs, with a longer, more expansive soundstage, thinner body, and more air. I'm pretty certain that I wouldn't ever rate a headphone near perfect on both fun and competitive.

I'll take a headphone with an 8 if the fun is on par or better, because they will do everything well.

Ideally, people should look at whatever is at least an 8 on both, IMHO. Of course, I have specific tastes, so YMMV.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #12,422 of 48,576
Quote:
All three HP listed have the same "flat-styled" Freq graph, and while they will have their differences, sound-wise, they're chasing after the same ideal, a straight forward, non-colored, detail-oriented HP.  If your dissatisfied with the amount of sub bass, then you might want to look at headphones with more of a v shape, but this will lean out the mids... What's you're budget? from $160-300 I would start looking towards the DT990 pro/premium lineup. +$400 I think most regular members would recommend something like K702 65TH, HE400s, D7000, LCD2. Also what are you using the Qs off of (what source/dac/amp)? 

My budget is under $400, the lower the better. I'm running my Q701's from my Xonar DX soundcard to O2 amp. From what I read, the only thing I don't like about the DT990's is their bright fatiguing treble and recessed mid range. My preferences for a headphone is deep sub bass extension (rather than a mid bass hump), non recessed mids, good soundstage/instrument separation, and non fatiguing highs.... so basically sub bass > mids > treble.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #12,423 of 48,576
If it's sub bass, mids, and non-fatiguijg treble, you'll have to fork a bit more than $400. That's HE500/LCD2 territory. You have to realize, sub bass is very hard to get out of headphones, and is usually paired with mid recession and bright/harsh highs.

You can get good mids and smooth treble (HD650), but it comes with a lack of sub bass. Most dynamic headphones worth anything will have a sub bass roll off. You have to look into planar magnetic. Also, there are still tradeoffs, like soundstage.

So you have to make tradeoffs. You can't have it all, especially not for $400 or less.

You basically asked for a perfectly ideal headphone. Not gonna happen, I assure you.

You could get some Annie pads, or just buy the Annies, and use some good EQ for a lot of sub bass. The Annie is as close a headphone in that price range as it gets, imho. Great mids, treble, soundstage, and good bass that undoubtedly can be EQ-ed up. Of course, once you EQ up, something else will get taken away whether its mids or treble, not sure.

Then there's the D7000 which is basically what you're asking for. A slight treble reduction is all it needs, and boom, that's sub bass (best sub bass emphasis i have ever heard, with reserved midbass, good mids, slightly sparkly treble, good soundstage all in one package. Still, well over $400, and quite rare now.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #12,424 of 48,576
Quote:

I'm 99.9% sure they're the same. 

I doubt KOSS makes two pairs of identical looking black drivers but then separately puts them in the KSC35s and porta pros. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/205125/all-koss-headphones-with-the-ksc35-drivers-in-them#post_2466048

Eh I dunno, I've dug up Head-fi posts from many years ago and there were conflicting past reports of the SportaPro <-> KSC35 driver identities.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #12,425 of 48,576
I think they will be the same. Its the KSC75 that people keep getting confused. It only shared the driver with one other headphone, IIRC. Sme behind the neck headphone of theirs. The 35s I've seen having the same drivers as the Sporta and Portapro. Its the rear housing on those that alters the sound.

But soon enough I'll be 100% sure, though I may have to take driver variation into account. Still the 35 has some obvious smoothness next to the 75, which has a metallic twinge in the treble.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #12,426 of 48,576
Quote:
Yea, this is a much more direct competitor to the Mixamp than the DSS. I'm not a fan of anything overly complex either, but it's an option for those that could use the customization. My needs as far as gaming are pretty simple, and I like what the Mixamp provides, but I'm interested to see if there's something this unit can do for me better than the Mixamp (I'm perfectly happy with the Mixamp atm tho)

If the surround sound processing is anything like the DSS2 - and I imagine it is due to the option to configure speaker "angles" very similarly to the DSS2 - then Dolby Headphone absolutely crushes it by comparison.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #12,427 of 48,576
Never said they werent good for gaming. i said they werent the BEST for gaming.

Competitive: 10/10 (Basically Perfect)
Competitive: 8/10 (Great)

2 point gap is enough to concern me.

Mad scored the AD700s as gaming-godly because they emphasize tactical sound frequencies while having thin bass (Mad likes to say No Bass), so you really just concentrate on the details. Also, they have exceptional sound stage. The DT990 is just as detailed and also has a pretty good soundstage, but Mad thought it was also more fun because the bass was fuller, making the sound more exciting (and thus involving, though Mad's word choice is "fun" and "immersive"). The AD700 is great, and certainly a great value much cheaper than DT990s, but the DT990s are also very accurate at imaging and may just be more to your preference. That said, I have an AD700 myself and I'm not really interested in trying a DT990 (tho I really want to hear the DT880), I'm just saying do some more research before discounting something.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #12,428 of 48,576
Quote:
Haven't posted here in a while..but looks like Turtle Beach finally has something to go up against the Mixamp, not sold as a standalone yet though.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/18/turtle-beach-ear-force-xp-seven-headset-review/

I have the TB PX5 unit which has pretty much the same functionality except that it only works on the PX5 wireless headset and I'm usually using my wired HPs. Don't fear the technology guys, its actually really handy and if you don't want to mess with it its all preprogramed so you just choose the setting that you like. They give you some really functional options like mic feedback and voice distortion so that you can do all sorts of fun things with it if you want, again, completely optional. I'd really advise you to keep an open mind about this unit, IMHO more options is better even if you don't ultimately use it all. I think this kind of thing is what leads innovation and if we're complacent and just settle for what's easy to use then ultimately the designers decide what we are going to get. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #12,429 of 48,576
If the surround sound processing is anything like the DSS2 - and I imagine it is due to the option to configure speaker "angles" very similarly to the DSS2 - then Dolby Headphone absolutely crushes it by comparison.

The linked article suggests that this device is back to using Dolby Headphone, and also allows for speaker angle adjustments. It's possible the article was wrong, but it's more likely they're right.
I'd like to try a Dolby Headphone device someday, but it's too bad that even the Mixamp suffers from some background noise and distortion, something that would be carried through double amping and only dampened by high impedance headphones. If this device manages a better SNR, it may be the better choice over a Mixamp. Overall, it's just good to see new developments in this space.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #12,430 of 48,576
The linked article suggests that this device is back to using Dolby Headphone, and also allows for speaker angle adjustments. It's possible the article was wrong, but it's more likely they're right.
I'd like to try a Dolby Headphone device someday, but it's too bad that even the Mixamp suffers from some background noise and distortion, something that would be carried through double amping and only dampened by high impedance headphones. If this device manages a better SNR, it may be the better choice over a Mixamp. Overall, it's just good to see new developments in this space.

Get a Mixamp 2011 edition. Like mine. :wink:

Best at noise outside of receivers with DH.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #12,431 of 48,576
I thought you sold your Mixamp? I believe you mate, but I see it more likely that I'll end up with a Marantz myself one day instead of my entry-level Yamaha, and in the short run I may pick up a DSS on the cheap just to experience it outside of scripted videos. So stuff will happen, it's nice making money again and having my entertainment feel like a reward after a days work :wink:

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #12,435 of 48,576
Quote:

Seems to say Dolby Digital, but never specifically mentions Dolby Headphone.  In fact, the official Turtle Beah website only mentions Dolby Digital.  However, the type of output is probably too technical.

Seems unclear, but I see no reason why TB would go back to Dolby Headphone after dumping it from the DSS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back