Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 20, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #12,451 of 48,568
The vegan is certainly noticeably more comfortable on the ears. I can wear it all day. The only issue with comfort once you get past the leather pads, is the sheer weight of it.

As for the Fostex... would love to have a TH-600 or TH-900, but not for the price. Thats prohibitive to the tee.

As for what comes next for me, it's now mids and warmth, as long as bass is decent. I would love the leather lcd2, but not gonna sacrifice the any more comfort. It's not easy to wear it for a long period like the vegan.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #12,452 of 48,568
Maybe you should get the PX-100 II.  It's dark/warm.  And cheap.

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #12,453 of 48,568
Looking to upgrade from my half broken Turtle Beach X11's. I've done some searching and i've come up with a few selections. I'd like to hear some opinions and get some more suggestions before I make a decision. I don't really want to spend more than $65, and I like to listen to music while I game.

My Choices

• SteelSeries Siberia V2
    ir

• GameCon 780
    ir

• JVC HARX700 with Zalman mic
    ir

• Audio-Technica ATH-M30 with Zalman mic
    ir

I actually still like my RX700 for what they are, for $35 I think they're probably the best choice...

If you can stretch the budget or find a deal on the CAL tho, that would be a nice upgrade over the JVC. I think MLE still liked then better than the Slyr, I haven't tried the latter but it's probably good choice too, as others said.

The RX900 have a somewhat better sound stage (than the RX700) but I don't think they're worth the higher price and they aren't as balanced for music.

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #12,454 of 48,568
Nice impressions chico, thanks for sharing. I wonder if Fostex intends to keep stretching the TH lineup downward or if this is it... One nice thing about the old Denons was how it started with the humble D2000s, such a shame they got the axe.

I'd love to have the chance to audition some of those (specially the HD 800, T1 & TH900) but realistically I'm not sure I'd ever allow myself to splurge on anything that high end so I'm probably better off... :p

The HE-500 OTOH, mayyybe at some point. :D

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #12,455 of 48,568
Yeah - The D7000 are the 2012 edition.  Maybe there is something to that.
wink_face.gif
   Chico, The LCD-3s are a clear step up form the LCD-2.2 in the treble region.  You may not be a LCD fan per say.  Also if the HE-500 or the HE-6 was not among your favorites it also may be safe to say your not an ortho fan all together.  

The HE-6 was powered by a First Watt F1J and the PWD2 was the DAC.  

The HD800 are a great head phone.  When people say amps/dacs play a major part in synergy it's true.  They really do have pretty good bass.  However, you amp has to help in this regard.  

The HE-500 are a nice warm seductive headphone.  I much prefer it over the HE-400 in ever way.  However, I can understand the HE-400 feeding the Bass Head need in some people.

There's folks in the TH-900 thread that just flat out hating on the D7000.  I will never (hopefully) never get rid of the D7000.  IMO they're more of a funner headphone than the TH-900 where the TH-900 is more of a Reference headphone.  Just IMO.

Those HD700 were modded and sounded pretty darn good.  With out the mod they may sound a bit harsh - not sure.

Surprising about the T1.  Lord_tris said they were way to bassy for him.  He like Grados/Magnums  
biggrin.gif
   I happen to like the T1s a lot.  Not my favorite but they beat out most.

And yes.  The Annies still was the BIS IMO as far as price per performance goes..  Eee Pee played them on his Sonnet and was very impressed.  

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #12,456 of 48,568
Maybe you should get the PX-100 II.  It's dark/warm.  And cheap.

True. But I already have the Koss set for that ultraportable need. I think I might just return the HD650 and just stick to the LCD2 as my one and only, unless I can find someone who will trade their D7K with me. Then I'll get an HE500 as the compliment to the D7K...

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #12,457 of 48,568
Hi all.
Regarding the SLYR, I have a brief update.
Having contacted Skullcandy customer services, they were truly baffled by what I was reporting. And in researching online, I have found that many many people also are suffering with the same problem. Customer care has now escalated this issue to a higher bracket, because I think they are blown away by what they are hearing. Very excited to see what they come back with.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #12,458 of 48,568

I hate this thread. Lost my Q701 replacement pads and JUST ordered a new set. Now I learn I could have BASS w/ my Q's if I'd simply have read this thread earlier...but I avoid it because I'm afraid MLE's going to find the new Q. :frowning2:

Edit: Those looking to "fix" the headband issue on the Q can do what I did. Rip it all off and duct tape a washcloth to the top. It looks awful, but I'm not one to care about looks on something that used to be the cause of MUCH pain.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #12,459 of 48,568
HD800:  VERY spacious, as you would expect.  Even though I was only running them off the M-stage, they still sounded more open then the Q701s.  The separation was very clear, and it had some of that "floating" instruments which I'm a big fan of.  The soundstage height and depth was also very impressive.  They're also warmer than I was expecting.  Warmer than the Q701s, but not quite as warm as the anniversaries.  Unlike the Anniversaries though, they have more air and treble extension up top. When I A-Bed briefly with the Q701s, the Q701s sounded more chalky and a bit flat and grainy sounding (also shorter soundstage, less depth).  I'm not sure the Q701s do anything better (maybe warmer treble?), and the HD800s are a nice and natural upgrade from them.  Also, the HD800s have the largest and deepest cups out of any headphones I've ever worn.  I was very happy to discover that.  I could DEFINITELY see myself owning and loving these.  Not a ton of bass, so they probably aren't great for electronic, but likely amazing for acoustic.
The HD700 I also didn't hear, but I put them on and they were very comfy.  While the earcups were smaller than the HD800, there was still enough room that my big ears didn't touch anything.

Woah. WOAH!
I have this feeling... The Sennheiser HD800 may one day delay my dream purchase of a Porsche. A Leica M camera used to hold that slot, but photography has kinda fallen out of favor w/me. But yeah, that HD800... your description sounds Amazing Chico, and I've only read good things about it otherwise. Wish you'd been able to hear the HD700 too.

Also, I have a pair of PX100! Not the Mk II version, but they've seen a lot of use as my main out-and-about and travel headphone. Sometimes I'd rather just have a nice headphone rather than fiddle with the insertion/extraction techniques of an IEM, when I don't NEED the fantastic sound isolation I get with the Etymotic ER•6i. Only thing is, I definitely need new pads for these bad boys, the old foam has disintegrated a bit over the... Gosh, like 6 years I've used them as my knockabouts? They have had Zero head-time though, since getting the Q701 and surround gaming. I haven't exactly been on many trips or not needed to focus while at my destination, and the Q701 just wins my attention at home.

Pheendom,
Customer support (if they have a sense of vision) will probably value your use-case scenario as a learning experience and potential issue to address, if it is within the mixer hardware. If I was you, I'd have mixed feelings if I discovered it was some dumb software thing I overlooked – deep moment, but at the same time that is the easiest thing to fix. Either way, I hope the issue is resolved to your satisfaction.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #12,460 of 48,568
Eugh Jodiah!
No offense man, but that is one ugly pic of an ugly headphone mod. If it works for you, so be it, but I won't do that because the headband already seems to stretch up too high sometimes. The baby seatbelt-wrapper is much more tidy and works great without making irreversible changes.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #12,463 of 48,568
Quote:
I didn't get to hear the Stax SR303 (are those the same ones you have Nameless?), but I did put them on my head to test out the fit/comfort.  They were pretty flat inside the cups and my ears were smushed against the foam Grado-style, so I don't think I could wear them for long.

I had an SR-303 once, but it arrived with a split right driver, between the inner stator and the diaphragm. I re-glued it back together, but it was still noticeably imbalanced. Needless to say, I re-sold it.

The comfort was greater than the SR-202 I had due to the softer pads, but I just can't get over that higher clamping force the Nova/numerical-style headband/arc assembly brings. Vintage Lambdas (SR-Lambda, Lambda Pro, Lambda Signature) feel much more comfortable because of that.

Another factor is that my SR-Lambda, like all vintage Lambdas, no longer have the foam in the inner earcups because it rotted out years ago and most owners have removed it. Some people opt to correct that and the aged earpads by replacing them with new SR-*07 earpads that have cloth in place of the old foam; I hope it feels a lot less itchier than the SR-202 and SR-303 foam.

Also, if you think the SR-303's earcups are uncomfortably shallow, try the SR-Gamma/Alpha on for size...now THAT'S shallow. Can't stand to wear it for very long with my ears (pinnae) constantly touching the plastic inside the cups. Quite a shame, as it sounds pretty nice otherwise (provided the set isn't horribly imbalanced like mine).

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #12,465 of 48,568
Quote:
Yeah - The D7000 are the 2012 edition.  Maybe there is something to that.
wink_face.gif

Chico, The LCD-3s are a clear step up form the LCD-2.2 in the treble region.  You may not be a LCD fan per say.  Also if the HE-500 or the HE-6 was not among your favorites it also may be safe to say your not an ortho fan all together.

It's not that I wasn't a fan of the orthos, it's just that they didn't grab me as much as the some of the othersThey still sounded great, I just think I'd need more listening time with them.  Soundstage is also a huge priority, and I don't think the orthos are the best options for that (correct me if I'm wrong...) 

The HE-6 was powered by a First Watt F1J and the PWD2 was the DAC.  

OK.  Yeah, I took some pics of that.

The HE-500 are a nice warm seductive headphone.  I much prefer it over the HE-400 in ever way.  However, I can understand the HE-400 feeding the Bass Head need in some people.

I like the HE400, I just think it is a little bright and missing some mids.  The HE500 corrected that, so I liked it even more.

There's folks in the TH-900 thread that just flat out hating on the D7000.  I will never (hopefully) never get rid of the D7000.  IMO they're more of a funner headphone than the TH-900 where the TH-900 is more of a Reference headphone.  Just IMO.

Hmm...I liked both of them, but I didn't compare them to be able tell any differences.  A more reference D7000 doesn't sound like a bad thing though.
Just with they weren't sooooo expensive.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back