Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 17, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #12,361 of 48,562
Quote:
I need help guys. I am looking for something to replace my x41s.  I currently have the x41 transmitter that came with it, so I do not need an Astro MixAmp. I was looking at the PC 360s or the HD 598s, but I was wondering how the chat would work on the PC 360s with my Xbox 360? Thanks for your time.

Simple answer: Get a mixamp.

Long answer: The X41 mixes the chat audio in the headset itself. Once you take the headset out of the equation, you lose the ability to simply mix in chat audio. Let's say you want to hook up a PC360 to the X41 base station, you plug the headphone pug into the X41 then you run the Mic plug into your controller with various adapters/extensions. You then need to set your preferences in your xbox settings to play chat audio over the speakers. Then to adjust the volume mix of game and chat audio, you have to adjust the master game volume of the game in its audio options menu. If your game can't adjust master game audio then there are 2 sliders in the voice chat preferences in the xbox settings. 1 slider dictates the master chat audio that you hear, the other slider adjusts the master system audio so that once someone starts to talk, the game audio will become lower. Fiddle with the settings till you find something that's playable and enjoy the game. OR sell of the X41 and get a mixamp.

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #12,363 of 48,562
Quote:
Thanks for the input.  What would be the best and most cost effective sound decoder/mixer? The Astro Mixamp is quite expensive but that's the only thing I have had experience with.  Is there something that is like it but much cheaper or should I just use an audio mixer? The SLYR seems like a good headset that I can also use as my daily headphones but I assume it'd be better to go with the CALs if I'm using them more for music right? Also what's a decent clip on mic for use with an Xbox?

Hi Don
With regard to the SLYR's I now have a fair bit of experience in using them for PC gaming and if the problems I have had with them are repeated on console gaming then I would discourage using them for one simple reason. The sound is brilliant, very good for immersion; however, when using the USB connector for the inline mixer, the audio picked up from the mic is fed automatically straight back into the speakers. Now to be fair, I'm not certain this will happen on an Xbox, but other than that, the inline mixer's dial is fairly confusing. It does not seem to understand what volume is and what voice/game balance is. I'll be writing a full review on the site at some point.

I did manage to get a replacement for this headset, and went for another SLYR to double check it was not a faulty one I had, and the problem still remained! The CAL's are a good alternative. Maybe someone here who has used them will be able to know if they are comparable to the sound on the SLYRs.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #12,364 of 48,562
Chico, so I got the Parts Express headband for the Koss Clip-ons you sent me. SWEET!

Man...I thought it'd make the clip-ons less comfy, but I couldn't have been more wrong. They improved the comfort on the KSC35, enough to where I no longer wanna wear them without the headband. As for the KSC75, I still prefer the rubberized clips, if only because they stay in place better, but other than that, both the clips and headbands are near perfection for comfort.

I don't get what you mean by the KSC75 not fitting properly. I don't have any issues here. Don't need more sway than they already have. VERY happy.

As far as the sound quality, the headband pretty much proves to me, that the KSC75 IS brighter than the KSC35. No question about it, IMHO.

Thanks so much! I'll be sending my 35s in for repair/replacement, and hopefully now, the cable won't snag off, as it's gonna be on an actual headband.

Ever seen such a beautiful headphone? It's so powerful, that a white aura is seen on the second image! POWER LEVERL OVER 9000. :D

Calpis, thanks a lot for the mouse! haven't tested it yet, lol. Just got home.

edit: Battery placement is a little finicky, didn't maintain a connection at first, but it seems ok now. The mouse feels and is working great. Thanks a MIL!

For ****s and giggles I put the parts express headphone on, amped through my Compass 2... ok, that is without a doubt the worst headphone I have ever heard. EVER. Lol. And OMG, it needs a LOT of power. XD

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #12,365 of 48,562
Quote:

Now that just looks silly.  
tongue.gif

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #12,367 of 48,562
Quote:
You're just jealous that my headphone is too sexy.
biggrin.gif

Ofc ofc, how can you resist THAT, although the Porta Pro is a little sexy'r I think ;3

MAD LUST wjy you no talk about the T90 yet q.q I didn't even know there was a THREAD FOR IT xD

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #12,368 of 48,562
I lost interest for it when people said it was bright, and some people said the 880 sounds better. I'm 100% over bright headphones.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #12,369 of 48,562
Quote:
Sorry Nameless. I do apologize that you don't get an audition, however....these are awesome! MLE was so great inviting me over and letting me listen to them before I bought 'em. He walked me through a ton of setup stuff (that I didn't even know about) and was all around very nice and helpful, even after I purchased them, he answered a couple questions.

Thank you so much MLE.

This is my first pair of hi-ish-end headphones, and I can't believe it's taken me years of putting up with a crappy gaming headset. Music will never be the same.

Next step: AMP. :)

It's cool. You've found the one in this K702, right?

Going to an actual good, audiophile-worthy headphone...the reviews give you an idea of what to expect, but hearing is believing. In my case, the one-two combo of the AD700 and CMSS-3D Headphone instantly killed my interest in surround speakers (especially cheap computer setups like I had been using), and moving to the SR-Lambda after that was a mind-blowing experience in terms of clarity, natural sound, and "Wait, I'm wearing headphones?" levels of comfort.

At least you've got plenty of options, amp-wise. The direction I took currently requires me to keep a very bulky receiver on my desk just to power a transformer box with the speaker taps, and a proper amp (SRM-1/Mk2 or better) tends to cost $325 minimum, usually more like $400-600. And it goes up, way up, 'til you get to the level of $5,000 Blue Hawaii SEs...

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #12,371 of 48,562
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Peridot-Headphone-Stand-Suitable/dp/B00AE0IEHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363542015&sr=8-1&keywords=brainwavz+stand

Good news. My car needed a new starter. $120 was all I spent.

I don't regret selling the Annie as I have my main in the LCD2, though I might spend a little on the warmer wolfson dac chipset for my Compass 2, which should be around $80 total. I might splurge on some custom copper cables, as the stock cables are pretty hideous and a bit short for my taste. Something less than $200. Nothing too fancy.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #12,372 of 48,562
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Peridot-Headphone-Stand-Suitable/dp/B00AE0IEHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363542015&sr=8-1&keywords=brainwavz+stand

Good news. My car needed a new starter. $120 was all I spent.

I don't regret selling the Annie as I have my main in the LCD2, though I might spend a little on the warmer wolfson dac chipset for my Compass 2, which should be around $80 total. I might splurge on some custom copper cables, as the stock cables are pretty hideous and a bit short for my taste. Something less than $200. Nothing too fancy.

You can hide your tears for the Annies behind the computer screen, but you can't hide them from jebus. 
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #12,373 of 48,562
Hahaha. Silly. Actually, I think a better alternative for the LCD2 would be the HD650. It's oval earpad design and really pleasant, non-fatiguing sound signature would be worthy for when I'm relaxing, watching my anime, or tired of the LCD2's heft. The Annie, like the LCD2, isn't really all too good with laying down, due to the massive ear cups. When I owned the HD650, I could practically sleep with them.

Still, that's quite an investment, and I think I'd rather put that money down for a laptop or something.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #12,374 of 48,562
Quote:
Hahaha. Silly. Actually, I think a better alternative for the LCD2 would be the HD650. It's oval earpad design and really pleasant, non-fatiguing sound signature would be worthy for when I'm relaxing, watching my anime, or tired of the LCD2's heft. The Annie, like the LCD2, isn't really all too good with laying down, due to the massive ear cups. When I owned the HD650, I could practically sleep with them.

Still, that's quite an investment, and I think I'd rather put that money down for a laptop or something.

That's an interesting compare. I have been very interested in trying to identify my true home pair of premium open cans and the LCD2 were going to be the first on my short list of ones to demo, but that design and weight were making me very scared of being able to just lean back with them. Looks like the HD 650 will be on that list too now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back