Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #12,121 of 48,562
I prefer the HE400 over the Q701. The Q701 doesnt have enough bass for me. I do prefer its mids and highs though. The Q701 with the Annie pads however, are more favorable to me though.

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #12,122 of 48,562
Quote:
MLE - I ordered the new Audio Technica AD-900x. The reviews for these cans are very scarce at the moment since they aren't officially available in the States or Europe. I did manage to find a review on Amazon which said that these cans need amplification. 

http://www.amazon.com/review/R203F2SJQ7D6U3

What gain setting would you recommend I use on an Asus STX to amplify these?

Thanks

[size=11.0pt] Previous Audio Technicas have been very easy to drive, and the AD900X are still only 38 ohms (previous were 32 ohm I think), so I highly doubt they're require that much amplifcation.[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  [/size]
[size=11.0pt] I would probably use 0 dB gain, 12 dB if your feeling brave.[/size]

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #12,123 of 48,562
Quote:
I noticed that you loaned out the HE-400 to Chicolom and Evshrug (who both own the Q701). Do you know if they both still preferred their Q701 over the HE-400 for music and gaming?

Personally I preferred Q701's treble, mids, and soundstage over the HE400.  Not having as much bass as the HE400 is not a dealbreaker for me.

The HE400 are nice though - very clear with a good soundstage and some "V" signature if your into that.  I think the HE400s is alot more reasonable and balanced than DT990.

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #12,124 of 48,562
Quote:
Well, due to length of period away, the last guy backed out of buying the HE400 so I had to refund him. They are back up for sale. $300. Check the sig link if interested. Though sale is pending, and have 4 other people waiting, lol.

I like the "New professional type picture added (taken by friend)."

tongue_smile.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #12,125 of 48,562
Quote:
I prefer the warmer, more balanced sound on the K702 Annie over the HE400. They're both amazing, but I'm over the emphasized treble headphones, which the HE400 falls under. The Annie has a non-fatiguing and airier sound presentation, and is also much, much more comfortable for extended use. Also, its more suited for gaming.

The HE400 is mainly bass and treble centric, and nowadays I prefer bass and mid centric with smooth treble.

For you, I think you'll find the K702 Annie to be somewhat like the HD650 with more airiness, and clarity, but still on the warm, pleasant side, and not as laid back.

This helps a ton! I'm def not a fan overemphasized treble. And I'm big on comfort, too, so that sounds great. I love the idea of more clarity and airiness as the HD650. Pretty much...I think you should work for AKG. (Now, can I have you call my wife and explain why this all to her?! :) 

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #12,126 of 48,562
Quote:
I prefer the HE400 over the Q701. The Q701 doesnt have enough bass for me. I do prefer its mids and highs though. The Q701 with the Annie pads however, are more favorable to me though.

Quote:

Personally I preferred Q701's treble, mids, and soundstage over the HE400.  Not having as much bass as the HE400 is not a dealbreaker for me.

The HE400 are nice though - very clear with a good soundstage and some "V" signature if your into that.  I think the HE400s is alot more reasonable and balanced than DT990.

Thank you for the responses.

I'm assuming the soundstage will be wider/bigger on the Q701? Does this mean the Q701 will sound more 'open' or more 'spacious' than the Hifiman? How would the imaging/positioning and instrument separation compare to the HE-400?

I will be using an O2 amp with these headphones and I tend to listen to music at very loud volumes. Does the Q701 ever become harsh or sibilant in the treble?

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #12,127 of 48,562
I don't think the anniversary is all that airy. Maybe compared to the HD6x0.

It's dark and smooth compared to the HE400 though, not exactly words I'd use to describe "airy."

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #12,128 of 48,562
What was wrong with my packaging?  :frowning2:

BTW, Calpis should remember that the parts express headphones are hidden inside the box somewhere and that they go back to MLE.  I know he has been dying to get his hands on them.

Well B&H thought it was good enough. Happens that I shot out the door and forgot the box you sent it in, though I was going to at least put a pair of bags over the retail box and add some extra padding before sending anyway. It's about $400 worth of responsibility, don't want to mess that up, y'know?

MLE, how would you compare the Q701 to the HE-400 and which one do you prefer?

I noticed that you loaned out the HE-400 to Chicolom and Evshrug (who both own the Q701). Do you know if they both still preferred their Q701 over the HE-400 for music and gaming?

Oh, I liked the HE-400 alright, especially some of the time. They're a little more "fun" than "faithful" (two hard to define things anyway, but that was the sense) compared to the Q701, I could see why one would have a different preference than me, but in the end I still prefer my Q's. Don't have the extra money to buy a more expensive headphone right now anyway... I want a new graphics card or CPU upgrade next.

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #12,129 of 48,562
I don't think the anniversary is all that airy. Maybe compared to the HD6x0.

It's dark and smooth compared to the HE400 though, not exactly words I'd use to describe "airy."

For gaming with DH? Oh, it's airy. Maybe not Q701 airy, but still, 'I will pinpoint everything around me' airy. :p

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #12,130 of 48,562
Quote:
MLE - I ordered the new Audio Technica AD-900x. The reviews for these cans are very scarce at the moment since they aren't officially available in the States or Europe. I did manage to find a review on Amazon which said that these cans need amplification. 

http://www.amazon.com/review/R203F2SJQ7D6U3

Check this out.

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #12,131 of 48,562
Quote:
TYPE Open-air Dynamic
DRIVER DIAMETER 53 mm
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 5 – 35,000 Hz
MAXIMUM INPUT POWER 1,000 mW
SENSITIVITY 100 dB/mW
IMPEDANCE 38 ohms
WEIGHT 265 g
CABLE 3.0 m (9.8')
CONNECTOR 3.5 mm(1/8") mini stereo, gold-plated
ACCESSORY INCLUDED Detachable 1/4" (6.3 mm) adapter

Impedance (Ohms): 38
Effectivity (dB/mW): 100
[size=medium] [size=xx-small]Signal [/size][/size]
Level (mV): 1100
[size=medium] [size=xx-small]>> R E S U L T S[/size][/size]
SPL (dB): 115.03
Power (mW): 31.84
Current (mA): 28.95

Well, there's the numbers to get you to 115 dB SPL

Sorry, what does that mean in laymans terms? :p

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #12,132 of 48,562
Quote:

[size=11.0pt] Previous Audio Technicas have been very easy to drive, and the AD900X are still only 38 ohms (previous were 32 ohm I think), so I highly doubt they're require that much amplifcation.[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  [/size]
[size=11.0pt] I would probably use 0 dB gain, 12 dB if your feeling brave.[/size]

I don't want to blow them up lol, I'd just like to know is it safe to use +12db without damaging the cans?
Quote:

Check this out.

Yeh I saw that yesterday. Thanks for the heads up though.

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #12,133 of 48,562
Quote:

Thank you for the responses.

I'm assuming the sound-stage will be wider/bigger on the Q701? Does this mean the Q701 will sound more 'open' or more 'spacious' than the Hifiman? How would the imaging/positioning and instrument separation compare to the HE-400?

I will be using an O2 amp with these headphones and I tend to listen to music at very loud volumes. Does the Q701 ever become harsh or sibilant in the treble?

I use the Q701's with the O2 amp and I can say that the O2 can get them quite loud although I can max it out without hitting earsplitting levels. 

** Note on this though that my sound card is set to 50% output to avoid clipping from the card which I have seen at higher output levels**

I have never found the treble to be harsh. I think it does have a very nice balanced sound. Bass is nice even on rap/hip hop and electronic music though as others have said I sometimes wish it could dig a bit deeper in the bass department. Also, I personally feel that the revered sound-stage of the Q701 is somewhat overstated. It is a semi-open can and having heard some other truly open ones I do wish it had a bit more air to it. Well, then the bass takes a hit and it's a trade off. You can't have everything I guess. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #12,134 of 48,562
Quote:

[size=11.0pt]  [/size]

Yes. I would say that the numbers I posted would suggest those would not really need an amp. I even used the 115 dB/SPL numbers which would be more demanding than for typical use.

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #12,135 of 48,562
Hey everyone, first time poster here. Thanks MadLust for the good read and all of the info, I'm still trying to digest it all...

I have some questions about suggested cans, as there's so much conflicting info floating around out there on the interwebz. I'm searching for a new set of cans, headset or headphones are fine. I'm primarily a PC Gamer that is really into RPGs, hack 'n slashers, action/adventure, and some shooters + mmo; that said, I will be listening to music and watching movies with these. My price limit is around 300 +/-50 bucks USD (prefer ordering from Amazon or Newegg though).

My current headset is a Plantronics Gamecom 777, and the earpads are wearing out, I'm getting some feedback from the mic and line, plus other myriad of issues, but mostly they just aren't comfortable anymore.

I'm wanting something that is #1 - extremely comfortable; #2 - amazing sounding; #3 - light enough to be portable, and #4 - durable. I've had these Plantronics for nearing on 4 years, and they've been great up until recently, but after using an Astro A40 + mixamp on my Xbox/PS3 I see even more what I'm missing in the games and movies I watch on them, with those A40s. If someone could shoot me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

What are the benefits (soundwise) between a closed and open back headphone? Why should I choose one over the other? I've always had closed, and honestly they are great for gaming and movie watching when the roomie is around, but I have only ever had these style.

I'm currently looking at the V-MODA Crossfade M-100, Senn 598, Senn Momentum, and Senn PC 350SE. Has anyone tried all of these, is there one that's better than another? What's the BEST bang for buck in relation to what my 4 needs are listed above?

Also, once I pick some cans, I assume that I'll also need some type of Amp for my desktop. What should I get?

I'm a total n00b when it comes to sound so please go easy on me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back